Hiflofiltro filters any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning

This Yamaha OEM filter came with the bike and was in the saddle bag for ??? years. The box had $4.00 on it, so do the math... I used it on my new-to-me engine when I first got it running and tuned... about 100 miles I changed oil and new filter and this thing was just crumbling apart. The metal ends fell out and the glue and paper fell out. I think I dodged a bullet on this one as the new oil and filter seem ok - caught it just in time. New Old Stock may not be a good idea when it comes to filters!

When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

I have been using the Fram oil filters for a long time and have never experienced any problems with disintegration. The STP filter crumbled as I removed it however. I will never do the STP filters again. NAPA gold is also good as I have also used them a long time.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
        This Yamaha OEM filter came with the bike and was in the saddle bag for ??? years. The box had $4.00 on it, so do the math... I used it on my new-to-me engine when I first got it running and tuned... about 100 miles I changed oil and new filter and this thing was just crumbling apart. The metal ends fell out and the glue and paper fell out. I think I dodged a bullet on this one as the new oil and filter seem ok - caught it just in time. New Old Stock may not be a good idea when it comes to filters!

I would never use a NOS oil filter. It's just not worth it, the chances of catastrophic failure are just too high.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
        X