carb rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb rebuild?

where can I get a decent priced carb rebuild kits for my 81 xs1100 venture? and front fork seals and dust covers?

Carb kits P/N 48-1408
    Fork seals P/N 27-1012
    Fork dust boots P/N 27-1087 (these are listed incorrectly on partsnmore.com and should fit an 81 Standard)

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[fitting]=custom
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Jat

JAT, I would just replace the bowl gaskets "if needed" most can be reused if not damaged. Unless you are changing the jet size, just clean the OEM and re-install, the rest is a waste of money IMHO

Originally posted by DCracer25 View Post
      where can I get a decent priced carb rebuild kits for my 81 xs1100 venture? and front fork seals and dust covers?
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        JAT, I would just replace the bowl gaskets "if needed" most can be reused if not damaged. Unless you are changing the jet size, just clean the OEM and re-install, the rest is a waste of money IMHO
        Agreed, unless there is damage everything can be cleaned.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

carbs

thanks for the info I took the bowls off and found what looks like real fine rust particles, other than that they were real clean. I think I need to check the gas tank.

Comment

In that case I would remove the tank, clean it inside well, just make sure everything is out of the tank Next, check all the screens, petcock and needle vavles screens (I would add two inline fuel filters in between the carbs and tank. Open up and clean out the petcocks, even if they arent leaking, get the rust and junk out, a little oil on the seals then reassumble

thanks for the info I took the bowls off and found what looks like real fine rust particles, other than that they were real clean. I think I need to check the gas tank.
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
              On an 81 I would beg to differ. The o-rings on the needle valves really need to be replaced as part of the rebuild process unless they have been replaced recently. However you can get them as part of the o-ring kit at harbor freight and have a bunch of others besides, other than that, I fully agree that unless there is damage or you are re-jetting there is no need to replace parts.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                On an 81 I would beg to differ. The o-rings on the needle valves really need to be replaced as part of the rebuild process unless they have been replaced recently. However you can get them as part of the o-ring kit at harbor freight and have a bunch of others besides, other than that, I fully agree that unless there is damage or you are re-jetting there is no need to replace parts.
                There is also the viton tipped needles that get hard and don't seal properly anymore. Still probably cheaper to just get the bits needed annd not the whole kit.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thank you all for the info, pulled the tank drain the gas and looked inside the tank and found alot of surface rust inside the tank, next question is how do i clean it out and do I have to seal it some how?

Comment

Por

POR, red coat and others make a complet kit including rust remover, metal prep and sealer, if that much rust, might be a good idea to do it now while you have it apart, even if it doesn't leak "YET" if it is rusty, it will sometime and you don't want rust getting into the rebuilt carbs Here is the POR kit

http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPA...ductinfo/CTRK/

and others
                    Thank you all for the info, pulled the tank drain the gas and looked inside the tank and found alot of surface rust inside the tank, next question is how do i clean it out and do I have to seal it some how?
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

thankyou all for the info will be ordering the gastank kit and get a oring kit as well I am going to order the fork seals and dust cover because mine are leaking.

Comment

What do you guys think of the set of carb kits on Ebay from Carb Kit Capital that have the gasket and the o-ring included for $49.95 for a set of 4? I have been looking as well, and just found these today. Like you said if all the other parts aren't necessarily needed, is this set a decent deal? I was going to buy
                        the complete kit from Georgefix, but if not needed I guess I won't.
                        Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
                        K&N filter
                        Spade fuse block
                        Barnett Springs

Comment

If you have the stock jets and they arent damaged, all you need is the "O" rings (forgot about those as my Special doesn't have them) If the gaskets are in good shape, re-use them, clean the crap out of the rest of the parts (I soak the jets and emulsion tubes 24 hours in carb clearner, then clear with compressed air) If you need the bowl gaskets, this guy sells 8 for $12.00, you have to ask if your bike is not listed, but he can cut most

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-11...sories&vxp=mtr

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                          What do you guys think of the set of carb kits on Ebay from Carb Kit Capital that have the gasket and the o-ring included for $49.95 for a set of 4? I have been looking as well, and just found these today. Like you said if all the other parts aren't necessarily needed, is this set a decent deal? I was going to buy
                          the complete kit from Georgefix, but if not needed I guess I won't.
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Try this link: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=electrolysis
                            This should take care of the tank. For the carbs, you have someone in Florida that sells on ebay under the name georgefix. I use him for ALL of the parts I need for carbs. I think he may have a brick and mortar shop under the name hardparts, but I'm not sure.
                            With the '81, you MUST replace the "O" rings on the seats, as well as the needles. I just bought a kit for an '80 Special, with extra jets, for about $76, and another $35 for the octy/petcock kits. It is worth the money, in my mind.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Driver

Not picking on anyone, and not trying to start a fight But I respectfuly disagree. After buying all new kits for my bike with all new parts, I ended up removing all the new jets and replacing with the OEM 30 year old ones. If you have the factory jets and other parts and they are not damaged, you will be hard pressed to improve on them with aftermarket kits IMHO The "O" rings are a easy fix, just buy new ones at a fraction of the cost of a kit I know many offer complet kits, I bought 4, and now they are in a bag and the old OEM are on the bike

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              Try this link: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=electrolysis
                              This should take care of the tank. For the carbs, you have someone in Florida that sells on ebay under the name georgefix. I use him for ALL of the parts I need for carbs. I think he may have a brick and mortar shop under the name hardparts, but I'm not sure.
                              With the '81, you MUST replace the "O" rings on the seats, as well as the needles. I just bought a kit for an '80 Special, with extra jets, for about $76, and another $35 for the octy/petcock kits. It is worth the money, in my mind.
                              1980 XS1100 Special
                              1990 V Max
                              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                              X