Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 thouthts

Originally posted by warlock60 View Post
    '79 XS1100 Special #2 cylinder dead at lower RPM. It has very nice top end, but runs rough at lower rpm. I stopped at a local park and took one plug wire off at a time and found the rpm didn't change when I removed the #2 plug wire. Ran it down the road like that and it acted the same as with the wire on.
    Got home and put an old spark plug on the end of the wire and found nice hot spark. Soooo, my question is which jet in the number two carb is more likely than not the culprit?

I just got back from an "all expense paid visit" to Afghanistan, but before I left I put SeaFoam in the tank. The bike started right up, but I'm afraid maybe in spite of the preventive seafoam it may still have a gummed jet. I don't know, but before I go through the trouble of taking off the carb and cleaning it, I would run this by you guys. Any thoughts??

Ray
    Ray,
    This could be low fuel delivery...OR too much air from a leak. maybe not as likely, but easier to fix if it is one of the rubber caps leaking at a port used
    to sync carbs. And it could be a leak in the vacuum advance line which is connected to number 2 carb.

Good luck wrenching
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

I like that

I like that. Does the snorkel missing give you much room? It seems my airbox bottoms out againest the frame with the snorkel still on

[QUOTE=bikerphil;348352]I cut the snorkel down and the air box comes out easily before the carbs, no center top bracket either.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        I like that. Does the snorkel missing give you much room? It seems my airbox bottoms out againest the frame with the snorkel still on
        After the bottom half is off I just tilt it a certain way and it comes out the right side in seconds.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You pull the whole airbox. Wow, that would give me all kinds of room to work, never thought of that, thanks, I may do the mods next time I have to do an R/I

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          After the bottom half is off I just tilt it a certain way and it comes out the right side in seconds.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Darn Holiday, got in the way.

I never considered an air leak, but I suppose at low speed that may be likely. I haven't had time this past WE to do the deed, but this coming WE will tell.

I'll start with the possible air leak. As I said, I took the #2 plug wire off and the bike ran the same at low speed then worst at higher speed, put the plug wire back on and same at low speed and great higher speed, that's why I was leaning towards a clogged jet first. You guys seem to confirm my fear. Every time I come back from a deployment it seems I have to take those darn carbs off. I don't know which evil is greater, completely draining her and having her dry out, or Seafoaming her and still end up with carb issues.

Guess it's six to one, half dozen to the other...

I'll let you know what I find next week. Thanks for all the wisdom.

Comment

Gas

Do you have a friend that you can trust to ride it or at least run weekly while you are gone. Gas today turns bad if left sitting for long

Originally posted by warlock60 View Post
              I never considered an air leak, but I suppose at low speed that may be likely. I haven't had time this past WE to do the deed, but this coming WE will tell.

I'll start with the possible air leak. As I said, I took the #2 plug wire off and the bike ran the same at low speed then worst at higher speed, put the plug wire back on and same at low speed and great higher speed, that's why I was leaning towards a clogged jet first. You guys seem to confirm my fear. Every time I come back from a deployment it seems I have to take those darn carbs off. I don't know which evil is greater, completely draining her and having her dry out, or Seafoaming her and still end up with carb issues.

Guess it's six to one, half dozen to the other...

I'll let you know what I find next week. Thanks for all the wisdom.
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

#2 Carb and new gas

Finally found time to play with the rascal. I checked the vacuum advance tube and found no leak. Checked the carb boots, yes small cracks but again no leak.
                Instead of taking the carb bank off I used a mirror and some contorsion moves to take off the carb bowl, removed the pilot jet screw and blew carb cleaner back and forth through the main jet and pilot jet. There was good flow both ways and yes there was a piece of black junk in the bowl when I removed it.
                Then instead of just adding a smidge of gas to the old I put fresh gas in 'er and it seems to be running smooth again.
                Thanks for your advice once again.
                Ray

Comment

Working...
                X