No announcement yet.

Source for Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 years ago Yamaha seals were put in my forks, your 2 years is nice, but I am not impressed

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
    Hi Lon,
    2 years back I replaced my bike's oil puking fork seals with whatever make it is that Dennis Kirk sells. FWIW they still stay pumped up.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Fred

I am glad that there are some good ones out there. I have had a bad experance with some aftermarket on other bikes. I will keep your recomendation in mind if I can't find OEM when I need them If the OEM are still out there, considering all the work it takes to put them in, why take a chance for twenty bucks

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Lon,
      2 years back I replaced my bike's oil puking fork seals with whatever make it is that Dennis Kirk sells. FWIW they still stay pumped up.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        I am glad that there are some good ones out there. I have had a bad experance with some aftermarket on other bikes. I will keep your recomendation in mind if I can't find OEM when I need them If the OEM are still out there, considering all the work it takes to put them in, why take a chance for twenty bucks
        Unfortunately OEM for specials are discontinued (makes no sense to me given that specials were FAR more popular than standards which are still available).
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          Unfortunately OEM for specials are discontinued (makes no sense to me given that specials were FAR more popular than standards which are still available).
          They probably both got discontinued, they just haven't run out of the standard seals yet...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

NW Vintage still has them...

http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/s...x=9&search.y=8
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Has anyone done a how to on fork seal replacement, or is the manual comprehensive enough? Has anyone switched thier front end with another Yamaha,tire to tripple tree. or just the forks?? too something more modern. Yes, mine are leaking, just one of the many things I'm doing this winter.
              81 XS1100H

Comment

The manual pretty well covers seal replacement. One 'tool' you'll need is a seal driver, you can make one out of a piece of 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC.

Fork swap? There's this one: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=fork+swap
                ... as well as some others; check the XS11 UK site for more ideas. One issue with these bikes is the fork neck is rather short, so a custom/modified fork stem may be needed.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

they just haven't run out of the standard seals yet... ////////// Not true, as many newer scoots use that same size Showa fork as the Standard did.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

After reading the novel better knows as the fork swap, I think I'll just cut the frame just behind the forks and weld the other one in its place, 2 hours later I'll be done....... Actually, I'll just save my pennies and buy my new seals and ride her as usuall. Too much of a project for me, have too many other fires to put out to invest that much time in my bike. Thanks anyway.
                    81 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      After reading the novel better knows as the fork swap, I think I'll just cut the frame just behind the forks and weld the other one in its place, 2 hours later I'll be done.......:
                      Hi Richard,
                      you forgot the caveat:-
                      Do NOT cut & weld your frame unless you have your welder's papers, a TIG machine, a frame alignment jig and a pal who can radiograph the welds for you.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

can I just duct tape it back together without a license?
                        81 XS1100H

Comment

can I just duct tape it back together without a license?
                          Hi Richard,
                          sure you can. I'd suggest using the black duct tape so you won't have to paint it.
                          Note to those who do not realize that Richard & I are just kidding.
                          Cutting and re-welding a bike frame is a task best left to experts.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

we were kidding?? I sure hope they knew that long before the warning
                            81 XS1100H

Comment

we were kidding?? I sure hope they knew that long before the warning
                              No Richard,
                              alas, some list members, though noble fellows, lack the mechanical knowledge to recognize technical BS when they read it.
                              Such fellows may be tempted into borrowing their neighbor's sawzall and buzzbox and building themselves a deathtrap.
                              That's why I'm very careful in saying "this is a joke" when I'm BSing someone.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X