Head swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    A couple of members have machined the thickness of the washer off the gear and then add a second washer, hey whatever makes you feel better.
    That's what I did on my '80G instead of back-cutting the gear dogs and slots or buying new gears. No problems with 2nd gear after 55,000 miles, it just shifts in when it's supposed to shift in and stays put when it's supposed to stay put.

I'd rather not talk about 4th gear and that false-neutral though, okay?
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I did the washer swap too when i did the second gear fix but since then i find shifting down from 4th to 3rd and 2nd and 1st is hard shifts up just fine and if i don't pass 3rd gear it shifts into second easy. I am thinking it is the washer swap causing this.
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Hey TD,

You might want to look at replacing the shift lever RETURN SPRING, when it gets weak, it doesn't fully return the shift lever back up during downshifts, and folks find themselves "banging" down on the shifter to try to get it to downshift, and with road bumps, and repeated banging/tapping it eventually bounces back up far enough to reset the shift pawl so it can grab the next pin on the shift drum, and then they can downshift another gear.

Next time you encounter trouble downshifting, gently lift up on the shifter just a little, not enough to UPSHIFT again, but just enough to reset the shift pawl, and then you will probably find you can downshift with ease. Then you'll know it's just the spring, $10.00 from Yamaha and you don't even have to drain the oil to fix it.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks tc will check that out but might have to wait till spring as there is snow on the ground right now.
          '79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
          X