1978 XS1100 First Ride.....WOW!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 XS1100 First Ride.....WOW!!!!

I purchased a 1979 XS1100 and am in the process of complete rebuild http://jimphoto.freeprohost.com/Yamaha and I was looking for a parts bike and lo and behold I found this 1978 XS1100E http://jimphoto.freeprohost.com/Yamaha78 and paid a whopping $300.00 for it. Cleaned the tank, cleaned the carbs, and took it for a short ride this week. WOW!!! I don't think I have ever driven a bike with this much power. I had a Motoguzzi 750 and thought that was amazing (1973 Ambassador) about 30 years ago, but this thing is scary fast!!! Started off slow, and then 2nd gear and goosed it a little and when it hit 3000 rpm, I thought it was going to go airborne!!! It is a great bike, and I am looking forward to getting the '79 going again. I plan to do some spit shining on this '78, and use it to trouble shoot some problems to fix the '79. Now I know why all of you like these bikes so much!!! I'm an Old Guy (66) and this is a little big for me (I weigh 160 lbs) and not as strong as I use to be, but man, is it FUN!!! I do have one question: When I turn on the turn signals, nothing happens, and just turning on the ignition, all the turn signals lite up. ?????.....any ideas???? Jim

Originally posted by jmacsuga View Post
    man, is it FUN!!!
    Id'nt it though!

You may need to take the left handlebar switch apart and clean all the contacts inside. They tend to get corroded over time, and the signals stop working. Lubricate it all with Dielectric grease, and make sure all the solder connections are solid (they get weak and let go).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

When I turn on the turn signals, nothing happens, and just turning on the ignition, all the turn signals lite up. ?????.....
      I see from the pics that the fronts don't look stock.
      The fronts should be 2 wire. One for running lights and the other for turn signal.
      The rear ones should only be one wire (Flasher only)

If they are all lighting up then that just the running light circuit, but shouldn't be on in the rear.

Check your bulbs and sockets for the right types (2 vs 1 conductors) (27watts and 8watts)(1156/1157 types should work). I've heard stories that a single filament bulb in a dual socket might make all the bulbs light up upon using the turn signal. (basically you're shorting out the turn signal light circuit to the running light circuit thru the connection on the bulb)

One word of caution on those solder joints in the turn switch: Be careful. Those suckers are 30yrs old and if you have to resolder them.... better have a good soldering gun. (a little soldering iron won't produce enough heat to heat up the contacts to melt the solder for the wire to stick to the contact.)(spent an entire saturday with mine, man did that suck)

The stock flasher (behind the right side cover) is HUGE. (about 3" long) This works in concert with the auto canceling unit (Under seat just fwd of the TCI)
      If you dont' have the stock flasher (instead some automotive one) that's ok for now. It should work just great. (you'll have to cancel your signals the old school way with the switch)

Troubleshooting turn signals/running lights can be daunting, but if you take a methodical approach and eliminate one thing at a time you'll get it.

I spent days trying to figure out why my right front turn signal wouldn't work on my fairing. Turned out it was a bad connection (in the fairing) that was dropping 3volts, so the bulb wasn't getting enough juice to light up.

I'll keep tabs on this thread if you need some more help on the lights.
      Last edited by GLoweVA; 11-11-2011, 10:33 AM.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

One thing I'd suggest when troubleshooting the turns is to unplug the self-cancelling unit; bad connections or a defective unit can cause the turns not to work. It's not needed for manual operation, i.e. when checking them, so that will eliminate at least that as a problem. As was said, bad connections is almost always the main cause of them not working, so check everything to make sure they're good...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I totally agree with the bad connections, but that's assuming that all the wiring is correct. As we all know, Previous Owners (POs) do all kinds of things to the wiring. (including putting the wrong bulbs in and/or non OEM parts like the flasher and different turn signals)

The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

It was a steal!

A runner for that price! COOL!
            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

The flasher unit was bad.....

Well, since I have another bike, I took the flasher unit from there and put it on this one. I took the switch mechanism apart, cleaned all the contacts and made sure the connections were good and polished. I am now able to get the left and right turn signals to lite when I do the switch, and it returns to center, but the flasher will not work. Still trouble shooting. I will need to get another flasher unit, though. My son came over yesterday, and he wanted to ride the bike, so I let him. When he got back, he had only one comment: "Oh, C@#P that's fast...now I need to go home and change underwear!". Needless to say, he was impressed with my "parts bike", and said it was too big for him.

Comment

You WILL need the engine running to work the flashers, unless you have already gone through and cleaned ALL connections on the electrical system. This includes the grounds, the thing a lot of members miss.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I had some really weird issues with my signals when I got this bike, and was about to start tearing into wiring when I decided to test with a normal unit first. The regular flasher made everything work like it should, minus the auto-cancel feature. Honestly it has never been an issue for me to cancel the flasher in the past, and isn't now, so I just left the stupid thing off.

The GROUNDS matter a LOT on these signals. Check your grounds, where the signals themselves ground into the frame, and the two grounding straps (one from the battery->frame, one from middle drive->frame under the battery tray).

These bikes are stupid fun. Yeah, there are "faster" bikes out there but I haven't ridden one yet that has the grunt at all points in the RPM range that these XS' do. They are also really FUN to work on (most of the time), and are shockingly reliable for being 30+ years old. My '81 has 13k original miles on it and starts at the first touch of the button, even with near-freezing temps.
                  Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 11-12-2011, 02:17 PM.
                  XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

... Cleaned the tank, cleaned the carbs, and took it for a short ride this week. WOW!!! I don't think I have ever driven a bike with this much power.
                    Wait till you really get the carbs clean, then get it sync'd and colortuned. It will feel like a whole different bike again.

BTDT...
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Well, the turn signals.....NOT!!!!

Hi, All: I started the bike, and turned on the signals, and no flashing. I will be taking apart the connections and checking all you have suggested. I posted a couple new photos at http://jimphoto.freeprohost.com/Yamaha78 (the last ones...) and you might get a kick out of the way I dried the tank after sitting with solvent in it for two days and emptying and rinsing stage was completed. I left it on there and it was BONE DRY after about 1 hour. Tank came out pretty clean with the Harbor Freight Cleaner.....EVAPO-RUST!!! Battery box was a mess, but now it is clean too!!!

Comment

and you might get a kick out of the way I dried the tank
                        Is that a vaccuum?!?
                        I hope you weren't sucking flamable vapors out of the tank with that.
                        Most vacuums use a DC motor in them which have brushes and thus can (and will) spark as they run. Sparks and vapor are bad together.

The pics are nice to see the progress. I feel like I'm right there with you seeing the stages. All I'm missing is the beer in my hand and the small talk/conversation.
                        Your project is infectious. Makes me want to do more on mine.
                        Here's my thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34446

The Green Monster
                        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                        Got her in '11
                        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                        Cold weather ride

Comment

Blew

Fred the caption reads he BLEW the water out. Get your bifocals!

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hi, All: I started the bike, and turned on the signals, and no flashing. - - -
                            Hi Jim,
                            the photos show the green bike ain't got no rear flashers.
                            The XS11 signals need both flashers to give a load of (2 x 27W) = 54W or they just won't flash.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, It is a vacuum..shop vac...on blower!!!

Yes, that is a shop vac hose, and I put it on the blower side, and just let it sit for awhile. I had used the cleaner to get the rust out of the tank and then rinsed with water, and used this to get it dry. Worked OK!!! So, I have beer and since the winter is coming http://jimphoto.freeprohost.com/01_02_09_snow.JPG I will have LOTS of time to work on the bike and drink beer. Come on over!!! I have two bike projects going, and am excited for the spring to come!!!

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                              Is that a vaccuum?!?
                              I hope you weren't sucking flamable vapors out of the tank with that.
                              Most vacuums use a DC motor in them which have brushes and thus can (and will) spark as they run. Sparks and vapor are bad together.

The pics are nice to see the progress. I feel like I'm right there with you seeing the stages. All I'm missing is the beer in my hand and the small talk/conversation.
                              Your project is infectious. Makes me want to do more on mine.
                              Here's my thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34446

Comment

Working...
                              X