Carb vent mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb vent mod?

I was thinking (I get in more trouble that way) The older bikes (mid 70's and before) had carb overflow lines that went "strait down" and avoid the "carb fuel motor dump" alltoghther by running off any excess fuel strait to the ground instead of "up" to the top of the air box causing increased pressure / fuel overflow inside the cards, right into the motor I am sure the EPA headed off "global warming" by mandating the mod to keep gas from ever trikeling onto the earth So I am thinking, why not plug the air box holes and run the lines strait down with the battery overflow hose Wouldn't that negate even the possabilty of the "fuel in the motor" thing ever again Please don't sick the EPA on me
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Not for sure, but I think the fuel comes out the air jet in the inlet bell of the carb and flows into the air box. The vent hose is a bit higher than all this and wouldn't come into play with a high bowl level. Maybe someone can confirm this?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It actually comes out the main jet area first.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Vent hoeses

When I had my problems, I took the vent hoeses off of the air box and left them up besides the air box nipples, as per someones recomendation on here, and when the carbs flooded, gas came "up" and poored out of those hoeses
        Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Not for sure, but I think the fuel comes out the air jet in the inlet bell of the carb and flows into the air box. The vent hose is a bit higher than all this and wouldn't come into play with a high bowl level. Maybe someone can confirm this?
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Gas may come out of those vents, but those vents don't vent to the crankcase directly, but will run out onto the ground. The gas that gets into the engine does so through the cylinders, by going FORWARD and into the combustion chamber and then running down through the rings into the crankcase. It comes up through the mains and idle jets, and of course it comes out the vents as well, but it's the mains and idle jets that get the gas into the engine, the vents actually do the job of getting it away from the engine, so that part isn't the problem. Even though with pods and the vents hanging free get gas in the crankcase if the carbs overflow, cause it's not the vents that cause it (other than clogged vents can cause them to overflow).
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Vents

I do realize that the fuel that flows into the cyls does it from the front (intake) part of the carb. My point is, if there "were" a low level overflow vent, like on the older 70 & 60's carbs (the OEM may be too high up) the fuel would never get enough over the float controled hight to flood anything but your driveway

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            Gas may come out of those vents, but those vents don't vent to the crankcase directly, but will run out onto the ground. The gas that gets into the engine does so through the cylinders, by going FORWARD and into the combustion chamber and then running down through the rings into the crankcase. It comes up through the mains and idle jets, and of course it comes out the vents as well, but it's the mains and idle jets that get the gas into the engine, the vents actually do the job of getting it away from the engine, so that part isn't the problem. Even though with pods and the vents hanging free get gas in the crankcase if the carbs overflow, cause it's not the vents that cause it (other than clogged vents can cause them to overflow).
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
              I do realize that the fuel that flows into the cyls does it from the front (intake) part of the carb. My point is, if there "were" a low level overflow vent, like on the older 70 & 60's carbs (the OEM may be too high up) the fuel would never get enough over the float controled hight to flood anything but your driveway
              The vents have NEVER been that low. They have to be higher than the jets, cause otherwise the gas would flow out the vents and the engine wouldn't run. The vents aren't for overflow, they are to vent fumes. Frankly the problem is because the carbs are tilted towards the engine rather than back away from it. If they were tilted away, then the gas would flow away rather than towards the engine. The fact that even where the vents are, they can have gas come out of them, says them being lower would make no difference. But, I think part of the reason the bike being on the side stand vs the center stand can make a difference between it going on the ground vs in the engine says something, cause at least on mine the carbs tilt a LOT more forward when the bike is on the center stand then when it's on the side stand, which is another reason to normally keep it on the side stand.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I am guessing!

I am guseeing my "point" is being overlooked On my 72 CB750 the bowls had vents tubes "just above the fuel level, which would not effect the "jets, or fuel flow of "any kind", unless, the fuel went "above" all of the carbs normal functions. Then, and only then, did the low set fuel vent "kick in" and save the motor They worked great (never changed my oil with gas in it then, never needed to)

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                The vents have NEVER been that low. They have to be higher than the jets, cause otherwise the gas would flow out the vents and the engine wouldn't run. The vents aren't for overflow, they are to vent fumes. Frankly the problem is because the carbs are tilted towards the engine rather than back away from it. If they were tilted away, then the gas would flow away rather than towards the engine. The fact that even where the vents are, they can have gas come out of them, says them being lower would make no difference. But, I think part of the reason the bike being on the side stand vs the center stand can make a difference between it going on the ground vs in the engine says something, cause at least on mine the carbs tilt a LOT more forward when the bike is on the center stand then when it's on the side stand, which is another reason to normally keep it on the side stand.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

radical thought

I just had an idea,
                  what if we could flip the carb boots over so that the vac ports (ones used for syncing) are on the bottom,
                  then hook up some simple ball inline check valves.
                  That way if the carbs did overflow, the gas wouldn't get past the carb boots because it would drain out the check valves. With the engine running, the check valves will suck in and seat.

You'd have to take the check valves out for syncing of course.

Just a radical idea.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Seems like alot of trouble

When if its clean and adjusted it doesn't leak. We just have to keep them that way

Now I have had gummed carbs and overflow, but if I had been riding enough it would have been fine.

Maybe its more an issue up north cuz of winter.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I agree!

I agree, when everything is perfect, no problem. But, I have read on here so many times where everything wasn't working perfect and seen everything from , "darn, I have to change my oil again" to "damm, I need a new motor" It never happened on the older bikes I am talking about, because of the overflow safegard of a fuel bleed off system if the fuel went even slightly above the float controll hight Any here ever hear of a spun bearing on those early CB750's or any other early bike with that safegaurd because of gas in the oil

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      When if its clean and adjusted it doesn't leak. We just have to keep them that way

Now I have had gummed carbs and overflow, but if I had been riding enough it would have been fine.

Maybe its more an issue up north cuz of winter.

John
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Bro, don't use the centerstand and if you do, block the front wheel up so the gas would run towards the air box and not the motor. Park it on the sidestand, problem solved. Works for me.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Side stand

Mine was on the side stand the 1st time I poored 1/2 a quart of gas into my motor Had just rebuilt the carbs (a while back) and turned on prim, went inside to get have a smoke and when I came back out (short time later) the thank was half empty and air box and motor were full of gas not to mention I could start a bonfire with the gas on the yard

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          Bro, don't use the centerstand and if you do, block the front wheel up so the gas would run towards the air box and not the motor. Park it on the sidestand, problem solved. Works for me.
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Mine was on the side stand the 1st time I poored 1/2 a quart of gas into my motor Had just rebuilt the carbs (a while back) and turned on prim, went inside to get have a smoke and when I came back out (short time later) the thank was half empty and air box and motor were full of gas not to mention I could start a bonfire with the gas on the yard
                            That's interesting. Mine the carbs tilt toward the back of the bike on the side stand and toward the front of the bike on the center stand. My XS400 exhibits the same behavior, and when I was having trouble with the carbs showed the same issues and behaviors.
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Bet you won't do that again.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X