Plastic Glues ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Glues ?

The locking tab has broken off my left side cover and I'm trying to figure out which type/brand of adhesive to get to glue this thing back together.

Any input you guys have on glues that you've used and how well they work would be great.
    I know there's 'super glue' aka: Cyanoacrylate, and there are epoxies and modeling glues.
    My experiences with super glue is that it really doesn't work for large applications (anything bigger than 3/8").
    I guess it's all about how much surface area there is for the 'glue' to bond to and how much stress it'll be under.

My microwave door handle, for example, doesn't last too long with superglue.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Gorrilla Glue

The very tip broke of of mine and I glued it on four years ago with Gorrilla glue. I didn't use any water as I didn't want it to foam up like it does. It is still holding so far If it breaks, I will make a steel bracket and glue / screw it to the cover. 3M makes a two part plastic bumper repair kit but $$. If you have a friend at a bodyshop, they might let you use some of theirs, it would work great IMO
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I rebuilt mine with Super glue (the liquid kind) and baking soda. It creates a substance that adheres incredibly well, and is as strong as the original plastic. It's sandable and paintable too. Just slowly drip one drop of glue at a time onto the spot where the piece broke off, then dust it with baking soda. The gule instantly hardens! Repeat over and over until you have a "blob" just larger than the original latch. Use a grinder or file to shape it, and it'll be good as new. I know a couple of other guys have done the same, and no one has had it fail yet.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

3M makes a two part plastic bumper repair kit but $$. If you have a friend at a bodyshop, they might let you use some of theirs, it would work great IMO
        That product is from LORD Corporation. The application gun is the expensive part and is used for ALL there products, so only half to buy once. Product comes in a dual tube. The mixing chamber attaches to end and mixes product as it comes out. It is sandable and paintable. Cure time is 1.5min., so have pieces where they wanna fit permanently in short order. Mixing chanbers are a one-time use and about $1.60 apiece The tube of two-part product is $19. Lots of different product choices for different materials. This particular application uses the Fusor143. Product DOES get hot coming out of mixing chamber and if U have to smear it flat a bit it's like getting hot wax on your fingers. Works well and have used it where stress loads are present.
        this product IS avaivable at your local auto-paint supplier.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

3m

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          3M makes a two part plastic bumper repair kit but $$. If you have a friend at a bodyshop, they might let you use some of theirs, it would work great IMO
          That product is from LORD Corporation. The application gun is the expensive part and is used for ALL there products, so only half to buy once. Product comes in a dual tube. The mixing chamber attaches to end and mixes product as it comes out. It is sandable and paintable. Cure time is 1.5min., so have pieces where they wanna fit permanently in short order. Mixing chanbers are a one-time use and about $1.60 apiece The tube of two-part product is $19. Lots of different product choices for different materials. This particular application uses the Fusor143. Product DOES get hot coming out of mixing chamber and if U have to smear it flat a bit it's like getting hot wax on your fingers. Works well and have used it where stress loads are present.
          this product IS avaivable at your local auto-paint supplier.
          I haven't used that product? Sounds great, the one I was talking about is from 3M and comes in two 16oz tubes to mix as needed (thats why I said to use a dab of a friends if you can) I have only seen it at autobody supply shops and would cost about the same, no gun needed and can be kept and used for many other projects, great for filling scuffed and gashed farrings, car bumpers ect. and any plastic parts
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

+1 on the superglue/baking soda fix. I've used that to repair a couple of sidecovers and had no issues. If the whole tab broke off, 'reinforce' it around the base with some baking soda for a 'stronger than 'new' repair.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

i use a product called plexis

http://www.gluguru.com/Methacrylates.htm

works grate and have a box full of the stuff...fcan sell some if anybody wants to try..... need an applicator gun or u can cut and mix like bondo thats what i do...
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
              1980 gs1000g "stock"
              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                I rebuilt mine with Super glue (the liquid kind) and baking soda. It creates a substance that adheres incredibly well, and is as strong as the original plastic. It's sandable and paintable too. Just slowly drip one drop of glue at a time onto the spot where the piece broke off, then dust it with baking soda. The gule instantly hardens! Repeat over and over until you have a "blob" just larger than the original latch. Use a grinder or file to shape it, and it'll be good as new. I know a couple of other guys have done the same, and no one has had it fail yet.
                Yep, did that with mine about 15,000 miles ago and it's still working just fine.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

+1 on the body shop. I repaired one with that body shop epoxy a few years ago. It will never break in the same place again! I took it to a body shop. I can't remember if it was cheap or free, but it was one of those. They had the adhesive and they were using it. My job was of little to no consequence.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X