Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first XS 1100...running rich?

Hello to all,

I'm a newbie to the XS11 and motorcycles in general. I raced moto for several years as a kid and had a bike in college, but I haven't messed with a motorcycle in 10 years. I live in AZ and I just bought a 81 XS 1100. The VIN is only 9 digits so I'm having a hard time figuring out the exact model (Title says Model: X1S).

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...5az/XS11-2.jpg

I bought the bike as a roller and paid to have a guy wire it. I also had a local shop get it running and mechanically sound. (I know I should be doing the work on this bike, but I've got enough knowledge to be dangerous - truthfully I'd probably end up catching the thing on fire).

Recent work to get it running:
    1. Carb rebuild kit
    2. Intake Boot set
    3. Slide Diaphrgams
    4. 47.5 pilot jets
    5. Compression test (130/130/125/145psi)
    6. All fluids
    7. New Battery
    8. Carb sync / tune

I've been riding it around for a couple days and everything seems to work well except for a couple issues. I'm hoping you all can point out and give me some direction. You all are infinitely more knowlegable than I am!

AZ unfortunately requires emissions. I took the bike down and it was hot - 40 minute ride in 90+ temps. I have K&N filter pods and straight pipes 2 into 1 (it's loud and yes, it's awesome).

Test: Idle for 30 seconds and rev to 2400rpm for 30sec and back down to idle. **Please note - I don't have a tach so I was just guessing on rpm (should I have added more throttle?)

Hydrocarbons: 791 out of 1800 = Pass
    Carbon Monoxide: 11.25 out of 5.50 = Fail

I used a 91 octane, nothing more.

The data looks like it's running rich? The bike smells like raw fuel even after sitting overnight. Original Pilot Jet is 42.5 (per CLYMER manual). With the K&N filters, modified exhaust and Phoenix altitude (or lack there of) why would the shop select the 47.5 jet?

Am I right/wrong/suggestions?

I already tried to get out of the emissions testing by registering in another county, but that's not going to work. I also read a few posts on adding Methanol to the fuel, but I don't think it will bring the CO down enough to pass. I just want to get the thing plated and ride!

Thanks in advance!

Leave in the stock pilots.......... stock mains for 81Special are 110's(if it still has the 81 carbs on it). May wanna have 112.5's or 115's with the pods. With the straight pipes, it's never gonna tune totally correct or run good in the upper rpm ranges. BTW, some nice ridin' weather there now......
    Last edited by motoman; 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM. Reason: add info
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Give us thebfirst half of the vin and we can tell you what year/model it is. I agree, put the original pilots back in there, could even be the wrong style pilot jets altogether, the kits often di have the wrong pilots.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Whats left of the stock bike would suggest it was a special, but it is all guess work at this point, and really of no importance to your issue.

With the K&N Individual filters/POD filters, and that exhaust system, it will prbably run like crap but may get you to the registration with stock jetting. Like Moto suggested, the carbs are interchangable from one year to another, so it is hard to be sure what year carbs you have.

Stock jetting for the 81s is 110 across with 42.5 pilot jets, floats set at 23 mm +/- .5 mm. But with the redical pipes and the filters, I am guessing it will barely run with stock jetting.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

1980 Special?

The forks look like a "Special", the strait spoke front wheel with slotted rotors looks to be 1980 as well as the grove in the stator cover looks 1980, so my best guess is it started as a 1980 XS1100 Special or 1980 MNS
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Those readings definitely show it to be rich. Since the pilot jet affects both low and high speed, going back to the stock jets and properly tuning the carbs may well make it pass, but that is STILL going to be very hard if impossible with straight pipes as these engines do NOT tune well (actually hardly at all) with straight pipes, so you may need to get a baffle put into them at least, if not an actual muffler put on to provide the back pressure the engine needs to tune properly. But once you get the back pressure the engine wants, it should then be pretty easy to get it tuned well enough to pass the test, as when running right, these engines run very well and clean.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the very informative responses!

The first part of the VIN: 4R000

I let the bike warm up and did a few rips up and down the street. I pulled the plug and this is what it looked like:

It was about as black as midnight but no oil.

I'll put the original 42.5 pilot jets back and try out the 112.5 mains. Does anyone know of a link to a baffle I can install in the pipe? Do shops do this?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm learning a ton and enjoying every minute of it!

Comment

Here's a pic of one of the carbs. Is there any other serial or indentification on the carb that would determine the model Mikuni?

Another pic of the bike:

Comment

hi Travis75az,

ur definately running rich, as the boys previously
                  stated drop ur pilots down to 42.5 and u should be sweet
                  with 112.5 or 115 main jets if u have them on hand,
                  with ur plugs if u do a search for soda blaster,
                  the bi carb will clean those plugs up nicely, if u cant
                  clean them replace them with new ones.

looks like u have a,

1981 XS1100SH 4R0-000101 Black Blue, Cardinal Red
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Well I talked to the shop that did the "work" on my bike and they were extremely hesitant to reinstall the original Pilot jets. They said "we couldn't even get it to run with the original jets, it probably won't even idle. You've got modifications like straight pipes and filter pods and the bike just doesn't want to run." Please note that these guys are a reputable shop, but they're primarily a two-stroke moto shop.

So now I'm in a delima: They said they'd install the original jets and "do their best" to get it running; or I could just take it to another shop and see what they can do?

From what it sounds like, I wouldn't be able to lean it out enough with the A/F screws with the current 47.5 jetting to pass emissions.....

Thoughts?

Comment

You probably won't be able to lean it out enough with the straight pipes to pass emissions. You are very likely going to need to either put a muffler on it (you might be able to put a harley muffler on it) or something similar that you might be able to get from a harley shop, which will actually likely increase performance, or find some way to put baffles in it, the muffler is likely to be FAR easier to do, but will require some fabrication work to make it work. I don't know how things work in Az, but here in Ca, any vehicle that has to pass a emissions test when sold must be made to pass by the seller unless sold for parts, if it's sold as a driveable vehicle, even if "as is" the seller STILL is responsible for making it pass.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

No aspersions to the shop that worked on it, but as stated, the plugs are showing it too rich, but just running it up and down the street and then pulling the plugs is not quite the right technique to check the plug color. A proper throttle chop requires normal operating temps, then sustained under load run for 30seconds to a minute..preferrably up a slight hill, getting into the mains...~4-5k rpm, then pulling the clutch, hit the kill button, coast to a stop, and then pull the plugs. This will give you the proper reading of the MAINS. So..the plug color you're seeing is more indicative of reading the pilots. There are two styles of Pilots that will fit into these carbs, the VM style and the BS style. The VM is also known to cause excessive richness, and it's easy to get them mixed up. The VM has the metering orifice near the threads, the BS has the metering as the pointy tip. Here's a diagram from MikesXS.net that illustrates that:

Folks have welded a washer on a bolt into the end of the straight pipes, where the washer/bolt can swivel so you can "TUNE" it to try to get some semblence of backpressure.

Lastly, the 91 octane fuel actually burns slower and not as completely as the lower grade stuff, so put in some regular gas as well to help provide more complete combustion for the emissions test. Also, if the engine is NOT pinging then continue to run the lower grade fuel, premium is not required unless you have a pinging/preignition condition, a recent octane discussion cleared up the misconceptions of early octane ratings in the late 70's vs. modern octane ratings.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X