kilz and the airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kilz and the airbox

i got the barn cleaned up, my tools organized, extra lights hung, ziploc bags laid out for organizing parts, and the poorly xj up on the center stand in preperation of breaking it down to swap the tranny. snag#1, well not really a snag more like a major snafu. while reaching for something on a shelf above the bike i of course knocked a quart of kilz off onto my head, then it naturally spilled all over me the bike and the floor. an hour later after i got the bike cleaned off and the floor swabbed up i proceeded. snag#2, how to get the oversized airbox out. any suggestions or hints would be great. i am really thinking of going with cones upon re-assembly. i've read here before the xj can handle the extra air with out rejetting. any one with practical experience in that department. after the first of the year i am going to order a mac 4 into 1 so that will also be a factor with the jets. i need to learn a few more curse words, i'm sure this project is going to take a few more than i have in my vocab.

cheers daryl

Rejetting The XJ

Hey there Daryl,

Well, Mr. Hart did a lengthy trial with rejetting his XJ after similar mods, so you may want to take a look at this thread:
    Fuel hose and rejetting

Learning another language helps in developing more "curse" words!! Good luck.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Removal of the air box:

Remove the three air box bolts.
      Loosen the four clamps that secure the air box rubbers to the carbs.
      Loosen the four screws on the top of the air box about two turns.
      Do NOT remove these screws!!!!
      Move the mounting bracket, of the center air box screw, to under the bracket of the frame mounting point.
      Push the air box down.
      Remove the carbs.
      Remove the air box.

See, it's easy!
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

when i removed my stock air box,and put in cones i DID have to rejet. My poor ole bike fell flat at about 7,000 rpm. I have since that time re-jetted at least 5 times. Am currently running 137.5 main jets. My bike is an 82 xj11.has kerker 4-1,every thing else is bone stock. I am running 13.2s' at 102 mph in the quarter mile.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
        X