Quick Q? about engine speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Q? about engine speed

About what RPM is average in top gear a freeway cruise btwn 60-70 mph (ballpark RPM)

thanks in advance

About 5k when flat-land cruising at 70mph, unless you have the XS750/850 Final drive mod which drops that to about 4200.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

And drop that about 500 RPM to start with because of the larger rear tire. With the 750 FD, I turn about 4000 RPM at 75 MPH in 5th gear.

That's always the problem with absolute answers with these bikes, the true answer is always predicated on which model the answer is based on because of the variances from model and year to year.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

60-70mph........4,000rpm-4,600rpm.......that's on my 81Venturer(Standard)........speedo verified accurate with GPS.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

well i have a mechanically stock 79 xs1100 std...seems like im running about 6K rpm at around the 70mph mark on the flat land...

Comment

seems like im running about 6K rpm at around the 70mph mark on the flat land...
            Hmmm....maybe the tach isn't accurate. That seems a bit high. You're in 5th gear? What is indicated at 60 mph?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X