Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Prong Flasher Auto Cancel Mod (Final)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Bug, this would be a great use for some two-sided tape...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Cy. Now I feel more confident in making this happen.

As for being unrepairable, the idea is to make it so it doesn't NEED to be repaired. The silicone holds everything in place, and prevents any kind of stress on the connections or the wires themselves. The relays are really cheap, so I actually ordered 2 of each this time, so I could make a second unit if I really wanted to. I just want to make it a clean, single unit that does not LOOK like I hodge-podged it together, and remains reversible (only one wire cut, with bullet connectors). I don't have any experience with perf board, and wouldn't know the first thing about using it. However, it would still leave the solder connections exposed to the elements, and have the potential for short circuits. I really feel the need to encapsulate this whole thing in something, so rather than spend a few hundred on the 2-part potting compound and the tool to apply it, I'll try silicone and see how it goes.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

It works! I made the circuit function!

I made a slight alteration, but I figured I'd give the complete run-down of parts and prices for everyone.

The relays I got were:
        Panasonic JS1-B-12V-F from Digi-Key for $1.86, or the same one from Newark for $1.90. Newark had them backordered at the time of this posting, but I actually received a shipment of these from both places (ordered twice because I broke the first set).
        NTE R40-11D2-12 from Newark for $3.97 or the same one from RadioShack for $4.57

I also added a socket for that second one, because the pins on the relay are rather fragile, and I snapped them off the first set. The sockets are NTE 436W16 from Newark for $6.18 for a package of 2. The pins are MUCH stronger, and the un-used pins can easily be cut off to make it more manageable.

I got all my LEDs from SuperbrightLEDS.com, since they are just up the road from me. Another additional thing I added to this mod was their flasher. I started with the HD Tridon EL12 flasher, but it wouldn't work without either a regular bulb or a load resistor on each side. So, I got the generic no-load flasher from SuperBright for $8.95, and it had a nice benefit - Wire leads! This allowed me to put spade terminals on the ends, leaving the third pin of the OEM flasher plug open. This made it possible to use a spade terminal on the signal lead from the relay so I didn't even need to splice into the yellow/green wire.

I use a fairing, so I needed 90º angle bulbs on the rear, but regular 1157 (running lights/turn signals) for the front.
        The LEDs I got were the following:
        2 of the 1156-x2W-ARA bulbs (in amber color) for the rear for $14.95 each
        If you are not using a fairing, and have running lights in the front, get 2 more, but the 1157 version.
        2 of the 1157-A24-WV bulb, 100º, amber, for $7.49 each (not used unless using a fairing). These are the same bulbs (in red though) used in the tail/brake light spots.
        7 of the BA9S-A4-90-12V bulbs (12v, 90º, amber) for the dash, for $1.98 each.

I have an HID headlight, so my headlight indicator is no longer functional, so I didn't need the LED bulb for that. If you have the OEM headlight, get 8 of the BA9S bulbs. I left the Neutral, high-beam, and fuel light bulbs as incandescent, because I had issues, especially with the fuel light using LEDs. I get a feeling the way that sensor works, it sends a little power all the time, and that was enough to light the LED all the time, no matter how much fuel I had. I may get a blue and a green BA9 bulb eventually, but those lights are seldom used, so I'm not too worried about it.

I taped the 3 devices (2 relays and the flasher) together, side-by-side, with electrical tape. I then soldered all the necessary wires on, attached 2 spade connectors to the flasher and one to pin 1 on the 2A relay. I spliced pin 4 into the turn signal fuse wire, and added bullet connectors to the brown flasher wire and the Common pin and the NC pin on the 10A relay.

I used some tape to gather the wires together, then I removed the OEM flasher from the rubber holder, and fed this whole unit through the rubber holder. It sits right where the OEM flasher used to sit. I haven't potted the assembly yet, but I will once I find a suitable container.

I tested it for the first time today (the snow finally melted), and it works perfectly! Thanks Cy for all the research and the write-up!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Awesome! That's good to hear. I'm going to be doing some tweaks to the article so that it can move to the tech section, soon.

Next is I'm going to build a unit that those who don't want to do any work will be able to just plug in. I'll build two units to start with, one of which will go in my bike, the other will be offered to a tester for free. After that I'll be selling them for pretty much cost, it'll give me something to do. It will all be put together on perfboard and will be intended to be durable and easy to install without any cutting of ANY wires.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

is it necessary to change the dash bulbs to led, or is something you wanted to do?
            81 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
              is it necessary to change the dash bulbs to led, or is something you wanted to do?
              When changing to LED bulbs for the turns and such changing the dash bulbs is purely optional. It's yet another way to save a little bit more current, plus they do last a lot longer than the OEM style bulbs and come in different colors as well.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Need a tester
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  Awesome! That's good to hear. I'm going to be doing some tweaks to the article so that it can move to the tech section, soon.

Next is I'm going to build a unit that those who don't want to do any work will be able to just plug in. I'll build two units to start with, one of which will go in my bike, the other will be offered to a tester for free. After that I'll be selling them for pretty much cost, it'll give me something to do. It will all be put together on perfboard and will be intended to be durable and easy to install without any cutting of ANY wires.
                  Second tester available
                  BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Hey Cy,
                    Would a person who was worried about having to replace a relay with pitted contacts, after it had been potted to resist weathering, be advised to put some MOV's at appropriate places, to counteract the DC arcing on contact opening?
                    CZ

Comment

So is it really just 2 relays and some clever wiring? I thought there were more parts?
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                        Hey Cy,
                        Would a person who was worried about having to replace a relay with pitted contacts, after it had been potted to resist weathering, be advised to put some MOV's at appropriate places, to counteract the DC arcing on contact opening?
                        CZ
                        No, those relays if you use the same part numbers are rated for millions of duty cycles, and for well over the current that you will get even with standard bulbs let alone LEDs. The only time you might need to worry about the contacts if if you had a coil on the output of the relay in which case you would put a reverse bias 1n2001 diode to kill the reverse transients when the relay opens which is what will burn the contacts. MOV's will do nothing to protect the contacts, those are AC clamping devices.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          So is it really just 2 relays and some clever wiring? I thought there were more parts?
                          Yep, that's really all it is, the right combination of relays in the right order wired correctly. The hard part was figuring out the right combination and how to wire them in so the worked properly.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Still need a tester? ....
                            79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
                            Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
                              Still need a tester? ....
                              At the moment I have two volunteers who I may go ahead and send units to. After their feedback I'll have cost figures and then should have a few units built for sale and will advertise.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Gonna give this a try...

I just received the relays and flasher I ordered , so I'm ready to give this a try. I think I have it all layed out, but I am a newbie when it comes to electrical. I bought some perf board, so as Cy suggested, I will mount the relays and flasher on the perf board. Any tips/advice on soldering the relatively thick 14 guage wire to those small leads on the relays? Should the leads remain straight, or is it better to bend them? I bought 2 sets of relays just in case I mess up.
                                Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

Working...
                                X