midrange power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imcgyver View Post
    Well I found a broken orange wire from the pickup coil, what is the best repair?
    longer wire connected?
    wrap longer wire around bottom of clamp for movement?
    or?
    any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you for your time and response.
    Ron
    Tech tip for broken pick-up coil wire....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      That soft flexible wire used for electrical multimeter wires works best.
      "test leads" as they are known.
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
        "test leads" as they are known.
        Quite often descriptions are best when one does not know the background of the original poster. Some may not know what they are actually called and then they could just be confused.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I repaired the wires, were too tight (short) to just solder together so I installed a lead wire between them, runs good, curious what RPM for 75mph highway run, I checked the carb sync at idle good but at 3k a little uneven then evens out I do not know if this is normal or? my XS650 is even at all rpms, any input would be great, excellent help from this forum.
          I am trying to get as much done as I can before winter to be ready for spring riding.
          Thank you for your time and response.
          Ron

Comment

McGyver, if you have an '80 Midnight Special the stock main jets should be #110, pilots #42.5.

I think the engine is going rich around 3,000 RPM until it picks up enough speed to the burn and use the extra fuel from those #120 main jets you have in there.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hello, my 80LG came with 120 main jets stock and will put them back in, I not sure if they put 110 in some 80s or both, the carbs are all stock original needles and gaskets, just got in the mail my new float needles which I will be installing at the same time, the old ones had a ring on them, just got some snow so it will be a week or so before test ride.
              Ron

Comment

+1 putting 110's back in stock...........
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mcgyver, all of the '80/'81 Specials use 42.5 pilot jets and #110 main jets that are matched with the length/diameter/taper of the slide jet needles.

With the Supertrapp, larger #45 pilot jets and the stock needles your Midnight Special will be able to use the larger #120 mains at the top end, maybe even a size or two larger, but midrange will suck.

If you like the larger main jets, find some longer slide jet needles. I use the needles from a set of '79 carburetors, mostly because they work but also because you can actually still buy them.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Got the new needles in and the Mikuni 120 jets back in original pilot jets still in (all other jets are not Mikuni 125, 130 mains, 45 pilot) Painted nasty looking carb top covers gloss black, looks much better.
                    Took it for a test ride off line slight slower until 2k, did 55 in can not remenber what gear at 6k had power on top of that could not get to a 65mph highway for high speed testing due to it was cold enough at 55 mph, gained a little more response at 2 to 2.5k much more happy with that.
                    Next run I will do a high speed run and check the carb sync and gauge response at higher rpms.
                    Thank you all for your time and response and more tips and ideas appriciated.
                    Ron

Comment

Glad your getting the scoot runnin' a bit decent. Still sounds on the rich side. May be the idle mix is a bit rich still. Re-set idle mix and re-sync.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X