Brakes ... BESIDES OEM!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes ... BESIDES OEM!!

Anybody ever swap the brake calipers and rotors (front and back) for something more updated? I'm going to be getting a new brake lever and mc, then I saw the stainless brake lines, so I thought I might as well replace the whole system ...
    ~Jay
    Guilty Ones M.C.
    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
    2001 CBR 929RR

Here's at least one option.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27820

I'm installing HD calipers on my 'modder' bike (along with FJ forks) and expect to see a real improvement. Some have also used late sport-bike calipers, but costs of those have been reported to be much higher; you can find the Harley brakes easily and usually cheaply with a bit of shopping.

The one caveat is if you have 'Special' forks; those weird 'pivoting' calipers on those pretty much prevents you from any sort of brake swap.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Jay. If you're looking for more braking power from the front, and are already looking at a new master cylinder, get one for a Special, as it's smaller bore will increase the pressure in the calipers. If you combine that with braided lines, you'll have more braking power than you would expect from the stock bits. Plus you'll save a bundle.
      Trust me, they work well!
      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

im running a Standard, so i should be okay, i guess. i guess i'll take a look around, the only thing i need to do is make sure the mounting points measure up, right? im really tempted to run without front brakes, but i know thats where all the stopping power is ...
        ~Jay
        Guilty Ones M.C.
        Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
        2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
          Hi Jay. If you're looking for more braking power from the front, and are already looking at a new master cylinder, get one for a Special, as it's smaller bore will increase the pressure in the calipers. If you combine that with braided lines, you'll have more braking power than you would expect from the stock bits. Plus you'll save a bundle.
          Trust me, they work well!
          smaller "bore" as in ... basically its a smaller size reservoir on the lever ???
          ~Jay
          Guilty Ones M.C.
          Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
          2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Hey Steve,

On that link you sent me, its looks at though those HD calipers are too small/short looking at the mounting points. I dont have access to all those tools either, the few shops around here the guys are dicks unless youre buying one of their bikes or something. Guess thats why a lot of them are going out of business with this economy ... Karma, I love her to death...
            ~Jay
            Guilty Ones M.C.
            Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
            2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

No, mate. Smaller bore size in the actuating piston. Doesn't pump as much fluid through, but it comes at a higher pressure, which gives better braking power.
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                No, mate. Smaller bore size in the actuating piston. Doesn't pump as much fluid through, but it comes at a higher pressure, which gives better braking power.
                yea, i googled it real quick after i asked that question ... shoulda did it before i posted/asked. i saw that i cant go too small though because the lever stroke could be so short that i could unintentionally lock up the brakes. ill look around and see what i can come up with. you see a lot of levers and mc's around here on craigslist and what not.
                ~Jay
                Guilty Ones M.C.
                Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Those ones Steve posted could be done with a hacksaw and file.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Those ones Steve posted could be done with a hacksaw and file.
                    Okay. I think what im going to do - since im going to do a front end swap anyway is just ...... wait. im going to put hayabusa triple tree forks clip ons and all ... and that includes hayabusa brakes which, imo, will be more than enough. so once i sell these extra parts i have taken off, i guess ill use that money to put towards a front end.
                    ~Jay
                    Guilty Ones M.C.
                    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                    2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

That's right, Jay. Too small could be asking for trouble. The Special"s M/C is just the right size. You won't unintentionally lock the wheel with that setup, though you can if you try hard enough.

Comment

also, now that im thinking about it. while wrenching on my bike last night, i noticed a key hole with a cover that was right under where the battery tray is. a real small key goes in there. if youre sitting on the bike its on the left hand side .... anybody know what that is?
                        ~Jay
                        Guilty Ones M.C.
                        Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                        2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

That key hole is for the side cover. That side the cover is locked on so nobody can get your tools or steal your battery.
                          Should be the same key as the ignition and tank. Be careful, it might be so dirty and fouled up the key might bend or break. Lube it up and clean it our before you use it.
                          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                          The Green Monster
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                          Got him in '04.
                          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                          Scarlet
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                          Hugo
                          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Oh okay ... no need for it, i was just curious. guess the po broke it because the covers all come off by themselves.

I posted some additional parts in the for sale section ... check them out people. PM me if interested
                            ~Jay
                            Guilty Ones M.C.
                            Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                            2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Special MC Swap?

I've thought about changing the MC for a while to get more breaking power, but I'm not sure about the idea of using the special MC. Maybe somebody can explain a bit more.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but my first thought is that the specials use a linked break with the rear pedal actuating the rear disk and (I think) the left front disk. Then the front lever operated the right front disk caliper. So that seems to mean that the MC piston would have sufficient volume for one single piston caliper.

To put that on a standard would mean it would need to push sufficient volume for two calipers. Will the special provide that volume with the reduced bore size?
                              John (XSive_Speed)

'80 XS1100G Standard
                              - 4 - 1 exhaust (probably Mac)
                              - UNI air filter

Comment

Working...
                              X