Dropped plastic dipstick in crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped plastic dipstick in crankcase

So I finally got my fancy plastic dipstick from Yamaha and was checking oil, when I dropped it in the crankcase like a moron. I tried fishing it out but it dropped down inside the sump. Am I screwed and going to have to split the case to pull it off? Any ideas? I am panicking.
    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Naw, just drop the oil pan. Depending on your exhaust system, you may not have to remove anything else.

I can drop mine by just removing the bolts. 30 minutes on and off. You don't need a gasket just some 3 bond or silicone works too.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Probably just put the bike on the side stand and remove the clutch cover.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
        So I finally got my fancy plastic dipstick from Yamaha and was checking oil, when I dropped it in the crankcase like a moron. - - -
        Hi Danny,
        don't sweat it, there's some as has done dafter things than that.
        I'm familiar with the middle drive/rear drive dipstick but what plastic Yamadipstick do they sell that measures engine oil?
        The oil optic don't work for me because the sidecar gets in the way of seeing it unless I use a mirror on a stick.
        Carrying one of those got to be a chore so I had to make my own dipstick from a straightened out 3" diameter stainless steel hose clamp.
        The worm-drive notches mark the oil level and the T-head is bent up too wide to let the device fall down the oil filler hole.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

So I finally got my fancy plastic dipstick from Yamaha and was checking oil, when I dropped it in the crankcase like a moron. I tried fishing it out but it dropped down inside the sump. Am I screwed and going to have to split the case to pull it off? Any ideas? I am panicking.
          Well, don't be putting your dipstick where it doesn't belong! Those are for checking the middle and final drives!
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
            Well, don't be putting your dipstick where it doesn't belong! Those are for checking the middle and final drives!
            It was the middle and final dipstick, yep. I never said I wasn't an idiot!

You are absolutely right :P. I stuck it in there and said "uh, I think I have this wrong", and then there it went.

I've pulled 12 bolts from the oil pan and removed the oil filter, drained the oil, but it is stuck on there good, or I'm missing bolts.
            XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Probably just put the bike on the side stand and remove the clutch cover.
              Will I have access to the oil like that? Anything going to Sproing! out at me that I can't put back?

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                DANG IT!! I missed the opportunity to say " Now THAT'S using your dipstick Danny!"

Nate is right, it's most likely in there stuck by the clutch pack. No, nothing much in there to worry about just be careful and pay attention and you'll be fine.
                Last edited by BA80; 10-01-2011, 06:23 PM.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  DANG IT!! I missed the opportunity to say " Now THAT'S using your dipstick Danny!"

Nate is right, it's most likely in there stuck by the clutch pack. No, nothing much in there to worry about just be careful and pay attention and you'll be fine.
                  Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to buy you all a beverage

Pulled the clutch cover, and saw it at the bottom of the hole that leads into the pan... just ALMOST out of reach. Bent a piece of wire, and managed to hook it.

Ha. I feel like such a dumbass. I also found 2 bolts I didn't pull off on the oil pan, so tomorrow I'm just going to put the rest of the bolts back in, change filter, add oil, and I should be in good shape.

Edit: Not the first time I've been accused of using my dipstick incorrectly .
                  Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 10-01-2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Edit: Not the first time I've been accused of using my dipstick incorrectly .
                    The ladies get mad when you do that unexpectedly!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      The ladies get mad when you do that unexpectedly!
                      Not my fault I have bad aim...

My wife is glaring at me.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Danny,
                        don't sweat it, there's some as has done dafter things than that.
                        I'm familiar with the middle drive/rear drive dipstick but what plastic Yamadipstick do they sell that measures engine oil?
                        The oil optic don't work for me because the sidecar gets in the way of seeing it unless I use a mirror on a stick.
                        Carrying one of those got to be a chore so I had to make my own dipstick from a straightened out 3" diameter stainless steel hose clamp.
                        The worm-drive notches mark the oil level and the T-head is bent up too wide to let the device fall down the oil filler hole.
                        Fred, this was the middle/final drive dipstick. Like I said, I'm an idiot . I realized my lapse in judgment just as the dipstick slipped out of my fingers .

I like your idea of hose clamp dipstick! I am going to try and make one myself. I can see my sight glass, but I don't have a center stand so it requires me to lay on the ground (bad back) and have someone push the bike towards me. Would much rather be able to sit on the bike and use a dipstick!

Comment

dipstik

With my bike on the sidestand, I kneel beside it, tip it up to the balance point, and with a flashlight (when I'm in the garage),look in the inspection window. Easy to do if you are careful, and DON'T jerk the bike up, and remember to ease it back down, making sure the sidestand is still out. Don't ask if I ever dropped the bike. Only did once, cause I wasn't careful.
                          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                          79 F (Blueballs)
                          79 SF (Redbutt)
                          81 LH (organ donor)
                          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                          rover has spoken

Comment

IIRC, there are 14 bolts holding the oil pan on. 2 of them are kinda recessed up a bit so you really have to look/reach for them.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X