Washed bike now won't run in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washed bike now won't run in gear

Just like it says. I washed the bike. I started it and warmed it up. It's running fine. I put it in gear and it quits. I can start it in first, but only with the throttle open, and it isn't running right. The clutch appears to be working just fine. It still seems to run perfectly in neutral. What did I do?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

You got water inside the wire harness under the shift lever.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

+1....it's shorting the pickup wires to ground when you put in gear and the neutral lightgoes out.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, BTDT. One time I had to ride the bike 50 miles but it was running on 2 cyl after getting wet. I disconnected the neutral switch wire under the bike and grounded it. It ran fine then. Pretty sure the water shorts out the splices in that lower left side harness. Since then, I've moved the harness forward a bit so those splices stay dry under the left side ignition cover.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanx guys! That makes sense. I replaced part of that harness recently. I staggered the splices and wrapped the bundle with F4 tape and then sheathed the whole mess. I guess it's not as environmentally sound as I believed.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Yep, BTDT. One time I had to ride the bike 50 miles but it was running on 2 cyl after getting wet. I disconnected the neutral switch wire under the bike and grounded it. It ran fine then. Pretty sure the water shorts out the splices in that lower left side harness. Since then, I've moved the harness forward a bit so those splices stay dry under the left side ignition cover.
            Did you lose the neutral indicator light?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

IIRC, the light remained on the whole time I ran with the grounded wire.

Marty, those wires will usually dry out overnight.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Marty, those wires will usually dry out overnight.
                That's what I'm going to allow. I hope I can still ride this bike in the rain! Everything else appears to be functioning perfectly.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I have never had the bike cut out from that while riding in the rain, only after washing or trailering in the rain, YMMV. It's good to know about the neutral wire ground bypass maneuver just in case.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

I'll have you show me that trick here shortly.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I'll have you show me that trick here shortly.
                      No problem, hope it doesn't rain there hard enough to have to actually test it.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        No problem, hope it doesn't rain there hard enough to have to actually test it.
                        Looks like XSive rider weather will be much drier than some previous years. I had some skipping issues in the rain then. I have replaced a broken spark plug cap (sealed with RTV), sprayed 'Wire drier" on plug wires and caps, and today found the wire coming out of harness under shift lever and sprayed it. I suppose I could try to test for waterproof smoth running by spraying it thouroughly with hose (in gear too).

Thanks for tip, I doubt that I would ever think of this trouble shooting...
                        It is a great big beautiful world out there
                        Brent in GA
                        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

My bike dried, and runs great again. Just like you guys said it would.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

This site is awesome! Here's a typical obscure, unusual symptom, and bing! bang! boom! Three been- there- done- thats within an hour have it resolved. Amazing, really. This didn't happen when I was a kid.

scoot

Comment

run in rain test

I checked mine to day, Warmed it up, put on centerstand, in gear.
                              It still ran while I sprayed & soaked it good with water hose.

Better to find problem in driveway than on road. OK - good to go. Spark caps & Plug wires good to.
                              It is a great big beautiful world out there
                              Brent in GA
                              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                              X