Spark plug caps 10 or 5K ohm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug caps 10 or 5K ohm

I noticed on my 80 XS1100SG that my stock plug caps were 10k ohm and when I replaced cylinders 1 and 4 with new NGK 5K ohm caps the 1 and 4 plugs were more sootie and ran richer, didnt seem to fire as well as before. Seems like less resistance would make them run hotter not colder. Seems weird to me.

Your intuition is correct. 5 ohm would not make sootier plugs.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The heat of the plug is only how long the plug stays hot. It does not change the spark. A hotter plug would be for colder short runs only. A colder plug for long runs. The plug designed for the bike is in the middle. there are a couple racing tricks for plugs, but as to whether they really do anythin g on the bike is still up in the air i think.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Plugs 1 and 4 sootie

Plugs 1 and 4 are still sootie. Could I have a weak coil causing the problem. All 4 pilot jets are the same 1.5 turns out. cylinders 2 and 3 are a nice tan color.

Comment

Well not all cylinders require the same number of turns out.

Could always swap coils and see if the problem moves with the could or stays put.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

1 and 4 are fired by one coil and 2-3 by the other, so yeah, maybe a bad coil or related wiring, Swap coils and see if the soot issue transfers to the 2-3 plugs.
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
            X