carb slide internal snap ring , need sugestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb slide internal snap ring , need sugestions

hay guys I know someone has pulled the internal snap ring inside the carb slide to change the needle , can any body give me insite on the easy way or best way to pull these, having a bad time with simple job, no snap ring plyers I or 10 or my friends have will reach those little bugers .

thanks
    1fastrucker

I took a crappy snap ring pliers I had and ground the thing down till it fit in there. Miles XS also sells a pliers for this for $11.

It is a PITA getting in there.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just a couple of small picks works well for me.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The long-reach internal pliers are a must-have. You need them for the front MC as well (ok, not NEED, but they really help). Definitely worth the $11.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I found that a pair of cheap hemostats I got at Harbor Freight, with the tips ground to pins works very well. Has the reach to get into the tight place and engage the holes on the clip.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
            I found that a pair of cheap hemostats I got at Harbor Freight, with the tips ground to pins works very well. Has the reach to get into the tight place and engage the holes on the clip.
            I like that idea!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

BEST $11 YOU WILL EVER SPEND IF YOU WANT TO WORK ON BS34 CARBS!

Right Angled Snap ring Plier Set
              http://www.mikesxs.net/products-7.html

Aches n Pains
              1995 KZ100P
              Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
              Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Wear safety glasses when you do this. I has a welt on my forehead for quit a while once from a snap ring!
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

update found perfect tool

went to harbor freight they had a 4 pack of mini snap ring plyers the small black handled straight nose pair perfect !!

Comment

Working...
                  X