Parts bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts bike

I have an 82 XJ 1100 that runs but needs a little work. Recently I found an 81 XS 1100 on craigslist. My question is what parts are compatible between the two? The XJ need some tranny work (no 1st gear) and a left blinker assembly. So I'm really wondering if I can use those off the XS? Or since the XS is in good condition (the ad says "needs carb work, but runs"), should I just have two bikes?

Thanks for your time,
    DC Jacobs

Engine/driveline parts pretty much interchange (although there are important differences), some other bits, but not much else (unless the '81 is a Midnight Special, then there's a few more parts that are the same). Major differences in the electrical/ignition systems.

As far as the bad 1st gear on the XJ (I assume it pops out of gear, as that's the typical problem), the 'fix' for that can be found in the repairs section.

If this is the bike listed in Fargo, it's not a '81 but a '78, and even less stuff will work.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the year. I know there's some difference between the years, but I though there was too much difference to be an 81. So there's not much that'll swap over? Oh well, guess I'll look elsewhere. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X