valve cover removal problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover removal problems

I need to replace my gasket but I can't Get the cover over the chain. It hits the frame of the bike and I don't think I need to drop the motor down. Ant ideas? I may have to remove the coils or the horn. Other wise ill have to save my new gasket and use the yamagoo.
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

probably coils

I have dyna coils on my 81 special and I always have to remove them when I want to remove the valve cover. I'm not sure if it's necessary with stock coils though. I usually remove the horns too.
    1981 XS1100SH Special

Comment

Yep. Leave the (stock) coils, pull the horn(s) and the ballast resistor. Other than that, there's nothing to get in the way of removal.
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Mine comes off tight as well. I also cannot get the front center bolt out, so i had to modify it.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

It does come off with no modifications or need to remove stock coils. It's like one of those Chinese puzzles where you fiddle about and suddenly solve it. You need to lift and twist and fiddle with it...... I just removed mine without removing the Dyna coils (which are smaller than OEM anyway)
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Well ... if you check my sign..... I got aftermarkets and no resistor...
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Once you get the resistor off there and the horns off, don't know why it won't come out without contortionism... Just did them valve check/adjust after the Colorado Rally in July, and it was not an issue at all once I got everything off that need to be taken off.

Are standards different that specials in that regard? Mine's an 80 SG.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I have 2 XJ's and one the valve cover came off with no problems but the one I ride just will not come off, had to prop it up and use gasket in a tube.
                Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
                X