Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy day blues

This is a mechanical Question.

So thank you Lord for the rain because we needed it and still need a lot more as we have a lot of fires around our area. Now on to my prob. Last Night we a good hard rain for about 30 minutes. My xs was sitting out in the rain with no seat on it as I had been working on it between church. BTW there was no rain in the forcast or I would have tarped it but to late to worrie about that now. So I went out today to see if it would crank and when i turned the key I got nothing. I checked the fuses and got the head and tail lights, and then moved the ignition fuse and got the dash lights, but it will not turn over. Everything lights up but will not try to start. Not sure if I need to give it another day to dry up or what? Also can some one tell me what the fuse box would be called and what I could do about a broken set of fuse brases? I broke one side off of the metal clip that holds the ignition fuse in place.
    Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
    - - - can some one tell me what the fuse box would be called and what I could do about a broken set of fuse brasses? I broke one side off of the metal clip that holds the ignition fuse in place.
    Hi Brian,
    it's called a fuse box. Or a fuse holder. If it goes wrong it's called many other things but a man in your profession shouldn't use that sort of language.
    Some have managed to repair damaged stock fuse holders but it's easier and better to replace the factory unit with a spade fuse holder. TC will send you one that works great and the right-angle wire crimps for $10 or you can check out replacement fuse holder on the search button and buy one locally.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Definitely replace the fuse box. The forum has loads of threads about those old glass fuse boxes causing problems. Re the rain.... I'd say the issue is the seat being off whilst it rained, not the bike being out in the rain, as it were. I've ridden my bike in torrential rain and never had problems. The chances are that the water has soaked into your fusebox, alternator block connectors and any wiring that's exposed when the seat is off.

I would replace the fuse box as previously mentioned and use WD40 on block terminals etc which were exposed to rain. I'd also spray into the headlamp shell where there are several large block connectors. If you have a fine, windy day I would take the seat off and let the bike dry out.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Post #10 in this thread will get you a nice new fuse block with connectors for about $11. Just add fuses! Takes less than an hour to install.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Fortunately, not covered was a good test B.B. Should be able to remove seat, and side-covers, car wash it all to clean up and it should start right up. Sounds like your gonna have to go through ALL the electrical plug-ins, clean up and dialectic grease ALL plug-ins, disconnect, clean-up ALL grounds, etc. There's good tech tips and info here for doing that all correctly and getting the electrical all up to snuff. That all will help when it comes time solving running issues.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

still nothing

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            There's good tech tips and info here for doing that all correctly and getting the electrical all up to snuff. That all will help when it comes time solving running issues.
            Motoman I have looked on the repair and maintanance for electrical and battery but did not find what i was looking for as far as diagram. Any thread suggestions.

Thanks guys for all the help, unfortionatly i am still not getting the bike to turn over. I got all the lights working.
            Brian

Comment

JAT Brian. The kill switch on the right handlebar may have gotten wet and is shorting out. That would cause the start button not to work

However, I did have a similar problem one time with my SG in a grocery store parking lot. It was poor contact on the ignition fuse. The one furthest forward in the fuse box.

Just a couple ideas.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                JAT Brian. The kill switch on the right handlebar may have gotten wet and is shorting out. That would cause the start button not to work

However, I did have a similar problem one time with my SG in a grocery store parking lot. It was poor contact on the ignition fuse. The one furthest forward in the fuse box.

Just a couple ideas.
                Hey BA, That was the fuse that I broke the bottom one half off the fuse holder off. But I know it is working because when the fuse was loose I did not get any lights on my dash but after replacing that fuse my dash lights work but still no starter. If it is the kill switch what would u suggest?
                Brian

Comment

Just try moving the switch while holding the start button first and see if it tries to turn over.

Otherwise, take the 2 screws out of the bottom of the switch unit and separate it. The kill switch has 2 red/white wires running to it. Jump those 2 wires and see if that works.

Also, check the plug that goes to the starter solenoid. It may have lost good connection because of the dampness. It's just to the left of the fuse box. The battery + cable and the cable that runs to the starter will be connected to it.

You could, just as a test of the solenoid, jump across from the battery side of the solenoid to the blue/white wire on the solenoid to be certain it is working. That should make the starter spin no matter what.
                  Last edited by BA80; 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Just try moving the switch while holding the start button first and see if it tries to turn over.

Otherwise, take the 2 screws out of the bottom of the switch unit and separate it. The kill switch has 2 red/white wires running to it. Jump those 2 wires and see if that works.

Also, check the plug that goes to the starter solenoid. It may have lost good connection because of the dampness. It's just to the left of the fuse box. The battery + cable and the cable that runs to the starter will be connected to it.

You could, just as a test of the solenoid, jump across from the battery side of the solenoid to the blue/white wire on the solenoid to be certain it is working. That should make the starter spin no matter what.
                    Thanks BA I will definatly try those suggestions tomorrow.
                    Brian

Comment

That will not be a good test, to test the solenoid itself, jump across the two large bolts on the solenoid to see if the starter turns.

Jumping from battery side to the blue white wire will not do anything, the blue white wire is the ground side of the circuit, the starter button is the final connection to complete the circuit by completing the ground. If you jump from the battery connection on the solenoid to the blue white wire connection and you push the starter button, you just dead shorted your battery and will probably weld something together.

To eliminate the starter button you can jump from the blue white wire connection to the ground side of the battery. Or to test if the main switch or the emergency stop switch is the issue, you can jump from the positive battery terminal to the red white wire connection to the solenoid while holding the start button in. That should pull the solenoid in and engage the starter.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        ]To eliminate the starter button you can jump from the blue white wire connection to the ground side of the battery. Or to test if the main switch or the emergency stop switch is the issue, you can jump from the positive battery terminal to the red white wire connection to the solenoid while holding the start button in. That should pull the solenoid in and engage the starter.
                        Thanks DGXSER,
                        ok when it comes to mechanical issues I am more of a novice. I can change out parts and oil and filters but thats about my limit and when it comes to electrical stuff you might as well be speaking latin. When you say jump are you talking about using jumper cables on those wires? The only thing I have ever bypassed was on a tractor when I jumped it from the starter to see if the starter was bad or if it was the battery. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but if you could tell me a little bit more info on how to do it I would be very Greatful.

Sorry for the inexpireince.
                        Brian

Comment

Jumping = putting a wire/ conductor across to connect the two points together.

So if you look at the solenoid, there are two larger nuts holding thicker wires to it. You could take a screwdriver with a good rubber handle on it, and let it rest across the two bolts, ie..jumper across them. Starter should turn.

For the other connections, if you have a multimeter you could use the wires from it, some of the better ones the wires pull out, or if oyu have some old Romex house wire around, any 12 or 14 ga will do, use a piece of it, or even an old lamp cord. Basically about any size wire will work for the other test. Use a longer wire, connect oen end to the negative terminal of the battery (hold it against it) and the other end push into the connector to touch the bare wire to the terminal of the blue white wire.

does that clear it up a bit?
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Yes much better thank you. And I do have a multimeter but all I know how to do is check ohms with it. I completely understand what you said to do so thanks for dumbing it down for me. I also had already tried holding down the starter button while turning the kill switch back and forth and got nothing. So what does that mean?
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              That will not be a good test, to test the solenoid itself, jump across the two large bolts on the solenoid to see if the starter turns.

Jumping from battery side to the blue white wire will not do anything, the blue white wire is the ground side of the circuit, the starter button is the final connection to complete the circuit by completing the ground. If you jump from the battery connection on the solenoid to the blue white wire connection and you push the starter button, you just dead shorted your battery and will probably weld something together.

To eliminate the starter button you can jump from the blue white wire connection to the ground side of the battery. Or to test if the main switch or the emergency stop switch is the issue, you can jump from the positive battery terminal to the red white wire connection to the solenoid while holding the start button in. That should pull the solenoid in and engage the starter.
                              Wrong again Don. If you jump the two large wires on the solenoid it simply bypasses it. If you jump from the battery side of the solenoid to the blue/white wire it will actually actuate the solenoid. And I said nothing about holding the start button for this test.
                              Try it before you say I'm wrong again please.

I promise you won't "WELD" anything.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X