Losing my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my mind

OK, I just got the 1981 XS11 out of the shop where I spent more than its worth.

Work done;
    Rebuilt carbs
    Carb boots
    Petcocks
    New fuel and vacum homes.
    New front brake.

Got ~400 uneventful miles in 2 weeks.

Starting today, I can ride it about 10 miles (freeway). It starts surging, then begins to loose power and in about 1 mile dies. Wont restart.

I waited 30 minutes, it started right up and I got another 10 miles where it dies again.

Feels like its starving out.

Ideas? Besides a match.....

Did you try opening the gas cap? A clogged vent in the cap can cause this...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I would recheck everything the shop touched. I don't believe that there are very many, if any, shops that know how to work on these bikes. Shoot, most of us that do work on them still have troubles i bet.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Gas Cap

Like Steve said. If you have a spare key, just leave it in the cap and drive until it acts up again the pop the cap, if it cures the issue, then remove the cap when back home and take it apart and clean it. You'll notice a small fabric filter. It's probably rotten and disintegrating and being pulled into the vent holes plugging them. Probably could use a new rubber gasket as well. You'll find that most problems you'll have are just little things. Anoying never the less. Good luck.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Def sounds like fuel starvation. The hole in my filler cap was blocked and I had a misfire (rather than total stop) after a few miles. I unclogged it and the problem disappeared.

You've done 400 miles without fault. That means that anything the shop did re the carbs is probably all fine. You didn't get problems immediately on return from the shop, right? So, something's happened since then, rather than something they did not being right. Your symptoms sound like gas starvation and the filler cap is often the cause.

There are several threads here re cleaning the vent hole.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

take it back

Take it back to the shop and let them check it out, as it could be alot of different things. As for advice,
            1.check gas level, is it full?
            2. petcock position-on reserve or prime?
            3. clogged fuel filters?
            4. gas cap vent check, run with lid open....
            5. pinched gas lines?
            Keep us informed,,,,good luck, Mike in S.Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

Gas line is first place I would check. Is there a reason why you can't take it back to them and say WTF is up here?
              Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
              1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
              1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaJeepJeff View Post
                OK, I just got the 1981 XS11 out of the shop where I spent more than its worth.

Work done;
                Rebuilt carbs
                Carb boots
                Petcocks
                New fuel and vacum homes.
                New front brake.

Got ~400 uneventful miles in 2 weeks.

Starting today, I can ride it about 10 miles (freeway). It starts surging, then begins to loose power and in about 1 mile dies. Wont restart.

I waited 30 minutes, it started right up and I got another 10 miles where it dies again.

Feels like its starving out.

Ideas? Besides a match.....
                If this is not out of line ( and even if it is ) I am curious if you would share exactly how much your bill came to with all of that service work done
                Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Maybe the ignition box getting hot and qutting until cooled off? I know Ford modules were notorious for that back in the day.
                  Richard
                  '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                  '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
                    Is there a reason why you can't take it back to them and say WTF is up here?
                    Also this ^^^
                    Richard
                    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                    '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Sounds like a gas cap issue or a kinked line to me.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

For one reason or another, the bowls are not filling with fuel fast enough to keep up with your carbs needs. with the exception of the petcock and fuel line work, none of this pertains to the work done by the shop. Realistically, if it runs fine at start-up and for the first ten minutes, then the petcock and fuel lines are less suspect in my opinion.

The most likely issue is the gas cap vent mentioned. Basically, as gas is pulled from the tank, it needs air to fill the void. After a certain amount of time, if air can not get in, its like holding your thumb over the end of a straw full of fluid, the fluid can not go out, same for your gas.

I agree, with leaving the cap open and take it easy getting to the highway, run it with the cap open, and see what happens. Or just go ahead and pull the cap off, clean it up, and reinstall and see what happens. Cleaning the cap is about a 30 minute job really.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

pick -up coil wires ???just a good guess ,,ride safe slow mo !
                          The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                          moemcnally@hotmail.com
                          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

they possibly could have hooked up the fuel lines backwards not reralizing it. try running it in the PRI position and soo what happens. or like everyone else says take it back and say W T F
                            Spooky

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

11/1978 SX 1100 Special SF black metallic 59,000+ miles still kickin
                            850 FD Mod

Comment

Fixed!

I took it back with the aforementioned WTF?

They said the replaced fuel lines were too small and I took it out for a 10 mile, one way ride. http://www.xs11.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Repeated the step "I took it back with the aforementioned WTF" and added an angry face. I also took she who must be obeyed along as her angry face is much better than mine. She told them last chance or we would require a refund for all the work done. 3 roadside drops after big money repair is 3 too many I think.

Turns out, there is a vacuum cutoff in the octopus that was leaking. Its the single vacuum switch that sits between the vacuum and the vacuum side of the petcocks. After 10 minutes it would turn off the vacuum to the petcocks and riding would cease.

Cost for the work was $1900. I like old things and the XSs a lot, cheaper (way) than an HD. There is a shop in Tacoma that works on these for $79 /hour. I think they are slow , but the work seems OK. I'm not over pissed about the vacuum leak, I can see where that was a tad hard to troubleshoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X