Suitable for Tubless Tires Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skids View Post
    twice in one trip? That is incredible bad luck! I once tried to get the rear tire off the rim of one of my 78's I finally gave up. There is no need for rim locks on the back tire.
    Skids, I spent a lot of time on a response telling the story behind that but my computer gliched and I lost the whole #ucking thing. I'll tell you in person sometime.

It's a funny story.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Front/rear tubeless, Conti Go front/rear.......both 42psi.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Where does it say on the rim suitable for tubeless tire?
        Frame: 79 XS1100S
        Engine: 81 XS1100S
        Carbs: 78-79 BS34

Gf bike: 78 XS650S
        Carbs: 70-79 BS38

Pics: http://tinypic.com/2mpmkpjb

Comment

Look on the spokes, as it's stamped VERY LIGHTLY on one of them. Looks like someone took a stamp kit and put it in as an afterthought.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Look on the spokes, as it's stamped VERY LIGHTLY on one of them. Looks like someone took a stamp kit and put it in as an afterthought.
            Every time I look for it I can't find it and give up.

Maybe my rims are dirty...
            Last edited by Blank Slate; 11-12-2015, 11:59 AM.

Comment

'78 and early '79 didn't have them. I think it was about May '79 when they started putting them on the XS11. IF you have early rims, then no, you will not have them. The rear rim had the bead locks, so there will be two 8mm holes across from each other on the rear rim, with the air valve between them. The tubeless rims still had the boss for the holes on the rim, but they were not drilled.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                The tubeless rims still had the boss for the holes on the rim, but they were not drilled.
                I have a straight spoke 16" rear with the tyre clamp boss's cast on but not drilled, it doesn't have the etched/engraved "Suitable for tubeless tires" that my XJ1100 Maxim wheels have though.
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

these pics are from my SF. Appears that the date of manufacture was the 2nd month 1979

and it's got this stamped on one of the spokes of both wheels, the rear being a 16 incher with the rimlock bosses cast in but undrilled

I've run this setup for most of the 344,000 klms I've put on the bike with no major issues ( at one stage, I had to replace the valve stem rubbers which had perished causing slow pressure loss but was no biggie, just a nuisance) minus about 12,000 where I'd fitted a 17 inch rear wheel to try to improve economy a bit (That was a waste of time!)
                  Last edited by Eveready1100; 11-13-2015, 04:43 AM.
                  79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                  Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                  *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                  *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I'm running stock SG tubless rims and tubless tires. Was runnig cheap Shinkos all around but wasn't getting good miles out of those on the rear. Anywhere from 3000 to 6000, fronts not so bad. Got a Dunlop E3 on the rear now and it's doing real well. Got about 5000 on it so far and it's barely showing any wear.

The only incidents I've had were the rear went flat on me twice on the way to the Lost Rally last year. Both times I was able to plug it and get down the road within a half hour. That would be tough to do with a tube.
                    You seem to be plagued with aquiring flats on LD rides. Just try and avoid front tire immediately going fflat like I remember you having a few yrs. back.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

IIRC, that front flat incident was at Interstate speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                        these pics are from my SF. Appears that the date of manufacture was the 2nd month 1979

and it's got this stamped on one of the spokes of both wheels, the rear being a 16 incher with the rimlock bosses cast in but undrilled

I've run this setup for most of the 344,000 klms I've put on the bike with no major issues ( at one stage, I had to replace the valve stem rubbers which had perished causing slow pressure loss but was no biggie, just a nuisance) minus about 12,000 where I'd fitted a 17 inch rear wheel to try to improve economy a bit (That was a waste of time!)
                        I was beginning to think this stamp did not exist! After seeing your post I checked again and found my stamp that says suitable for tubeless. Whew what a relief. My SF was made jan 79 according to frame stamp.

Comment

Glad you found it! Knowing what to look for and where exactly to look helps somewhat.
                          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Metzeler ME880 size 150/80X16 for the front and a Metzeler ME880 size for the rear I used 160/80-16. Little narrower, but taller and it came very close to fixing the speedo error.
                            :-)
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                            and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Working...
                            X