Suitable for Tubless Tires Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable for Tubless Tires Poll

I'm interested in knowing what everyone is running. Mileage on said set up and if any incidents were experianced
    Hopefully none.

If you are running one set up in front and a different one in the rear you can choose two.
    Please post how you are set up.

Thanks in advance.
    Rick
    Tube type rim, tubless tire and no tube.
    7.02%
    Tube type rim, tubless tire, and a tube.
    12.28%
    Suitable for tubless rim, and tubless tire.
    73.68%
    Suitable for tubless rim, tubless tire and tube.
    7.02%
    Last edited by Rickrod3; 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM.
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Stock 80G wheels, with tubeless rims and tubeless tires on them. Been that way for the 25,000 miles I've had the bike, which = 2 front tire changes and 3 rear changes (both front and rear not too long after I bought the bike and then 2 to 1 ratio afterwards and about 9k on the rears so far).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Stock 81H, has had bout every manufacturer's cheap and pricey tire under the sun on it at one time or another. Changes are approx. a 2to1 tatio. No tire incidents ever. 80,800 on the clock.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm running stock SG tubless rims and tubless tires. Was runnig cheap Shinkos all around but wasn't getting good miles out of those on the rear. Anywhere from 3000 to 6000, fronts not so bad. Got a Dunlop E3 on the rear now and it's doing real well. Got about 5000 on it so far and it's barely showing any wear.

The only incidents I've had were the rear went flat on me twice on the way to the Lost Rally last year. Both times I was able to plug it and get down the road within a half hour. That would be tough to do with a tube.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have several rims front and back, both tube type and tubeless type. I run them all with tubeless tires, no tubes installed. I balance them with real weights, not dynabeads, .
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            I balance them with real weights, not dynabeads, .

Ha ha ha..........+1
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've seen people swear by and swear at dynabeads. They are kinda like oil. Some people love them, some hate them. For some people they work really well, for others not at all. One drawback, if you get a hole right in the center of the tread with dynabeads you WILL have to remove them/change out the tire, cause the repair will interfere with them working. I've heard many stories of increased tire life, particularly on the front wheel, and of them being of particular use on hard to balance wheels. But again, they are a VERY personal thing, but I'm getting tired of the inability of anybody to properly balance my rear tire. I'm about to put them in it just to eliminate that problem, and if that works, then I'll try the front, and see how it goes (hey, if I don't like them I can always take them out).
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned dynabeads and got this thread sidetracked.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'am not sure . I have two bikes with 17 inch wheels one with a 16 ( that is a bare wheel that needs mounted ) that is now painted with no valve stem .

Comment

I've got tube type rims with rim locks on the rear so I run 'em with tubes. Hard to find a tire that isn't tubeless anymore, so the tires themselves are tube type, but I haven't had any trouble out of them. I also run a 110 in the front, which is about as fat as it'll take, and I like it a lot.

I wouldn't want to get a flat out on the road with the tubes, though. It's not something you're going to fix on the side of the road. Especially in the rear with those rim locks.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You can run a tubeless tire on that rear rim Doug, Just remove the bead locks (unnecessary anyway) and plug those holes with a short bolt and nut w/a couple flat washers and rubber washers. The casting on that rim is the same as the tubeless rim just a couple extra holes drilled in it. The front rim is a little different and shouldn't be used tubeless. All XS's 750 - 1100 that were tubeless fronts used the same front rim so it should be really easy to find one of those.

I believe the only Standard that CAME with a tubeless rear was the 81 Venturer.
                      Last edited by BA80; 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        You can run a tubeless tire on that rear rim Doug, Just remove the bead locks (unnecessary anyway) and plug those holes with a short bolt and nut w/a couple flat washers and rubber washers. The casting on that rim is the same as the tubeless rim just a couple extra holes drilled in it. The front rim is a little different and shouldn't be used tubeless. All XS's 750 - 1100 that were tubeless fronts used the same front rim so it should be really easy to find one of those.

I believe the only Standard that CAME with a tubeless rear was the 81 Venturer.
                        I actually kind of like the rim locks. They're supposed to keep the tire on the rim if it goes flat while it's rolling so it doesn't get jammed up and potentially lock up the rear wheel. Is it likely to happen? Probably not, but I like 'em there anyway.

The guy that changes my tires for me can do a rim lock wheel faster than I can say it, but some shops balk at rim locks. And it's probably just my imagination, but I'd swear a tire with a tube in it holds air better than one without.

The real downside is if you get a nail in it. I wouldn't run a plugged motorcycle tire very far, but I would plug one to get me someplace where I could have it patched or replaced. That's just not an option with tubes.

But it just hasn't been a problem for me, and you know what they say - if it ain't broke...
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                          They're supposed to keep the tire on the rim if it goes flat while it's rolling so it doesn't get jammed up and potentially lock up the rear wheel. Is it likely to happen? Probably not, but I like 'em there anyway.
                          Actually the bead lock was put there to keep the tire from spinning in the rim. Yamaha decided it was unnecessary in 79 when they put out the Special. Nobody ever spun one.

I've had the rear go down at highway speeds several times. Tire stayed on the rim fine. Plugged it, aired it up and kept going.

Happened twice on the trip to the Lost Rally in 2010.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

twice in one trip? That is incredible bad luck! I once tried to get the rear tire off the rim of one of my 78's I finally gave up. There is no need for rim locks on the back tire.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

This reminds me of an experience I had while I was serving in JAPAN in the early 80's!

I was still riding my Yamaha TX500A that I had brought with me early in my tour. I had ridden out into the country for some sightseeing, and then it happened, I got a flat on the rear, and it was a tubed tire. There wasn't a motorcycle shop around, but I was able to roll/push up to a bicycle shop!
                              I didn't have any tools with me(ignorant youth) and I thought the Bicycle shop would pull the tire/rim off the bike(chain drive). But I was surprised to see them getting the inner tube..finding the hole because I think there was a nail or screw....they then pulled the inner tube sideways out from between the tire and rim right there ON THE BIKE. They patched it, and then were able to put it back in, air it up and I was able to get back to the base!

So...yeah, flat tires on the road are a real bummer.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X