Fork seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seal replacement

I will be undertaking the task of rebuilding my forks. Will heed crazysteve's advice and order the progressive springs, while i'm in there, is there anything else that should be replaced or pay special attention to?
    Is there a way to test the dust cap or should they also be replaced?

BTW (boats.net) $17.50 each is the cheapest place I found online for Genuine Yamaha fork seals.
    And (powersportsuperstore.com) for Progressive springs $61.20 free ship

What method do you recommend for supporting the front frame while on centerstand for fork removal?
    Last edited by Nubian; 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
    Is there a way to test the dust cap or should they also be replaced?
    As long as they still have a 'friction fit' on the fork tubes (and aren't torn, etc), they'll be fine....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

[QUOTE=

What method do you recommend for supporting the front frame while on centerstand for fork removal?[/QUOTE]

If you dont have a bike/atv lift you could try jacking the bike up from the cross bar in front of the engine then place a jack stand on each side. Hopefully that gives you enough lift. Personally I just bought a lift for $100.

By the way thank you for that link because I was just looking for springs.
      1980 XS1100G
      -4:2 exhaust
      -Pods
      -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

I was wrong on the free shipping
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

I just seen that as I was trying to order them. But I was looking at jackets and hand grips to get the $75 min. Both are items I want and they got some good prices.
          1980 XS1100G
          -Pods

Comment

Just rock it back on the center-stand and block under the filter housing.........simple and painless..........
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
              I will be undertaking the task of rebuilding my forks.
              Don't be afraid to ask what special tools will be required for this, which are not mentioned in the service manual.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Don't be afraid to ask what special tools will be required for this, which are not mentioned in the service manual.
                huh? are there special item specific tools required?
                BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

If you have an impact gun and a long reach 8MM allen socket you might get lucky and not need a damper rod holding tool. One can be made from a 2" long 19MM head bolt and 2 nuts...

The seals are interference fit (tight) and can be a bear to get out, one of these automotive seal pullers makes quick work of it...

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

If you have an impact gun and a long reach 8MM allen socket you might get lucky and not need a damper rod holding tool. One can be made from a 2" long 19MM head bolt and 2 nuts...

The seals are interference fit (tight) and can be a bear to get out, one of these automotive seal pullers makes quick work of it...

I do have an impact gun.
                    Would this work? If not i'll just buy one or the set. I do like that seal puller.

BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

That allen you have will only work on the bottom of the left fork, the right side one you'll need the long one for. You can make a long 8MM by taking a regular L type allen and cutting the long part off with a die grinder and putting it in an 8MM socket, JAT. Without the seal puller, you'll probably have to collapse the seal somehow without damaging the soft aluminum fork leg. Some people have had luck prying the seal out with a big screwdriver, YMMV.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

That allen you have will only work on the bottom of the left fork, the right side one you'll need the long one for. You can make a long 8MM by taking a regular L type allen and cutting the long part off with a die grinder and putting it in an 8MM socket, JAT. Without the seal puller, you'll probably have to collapse the seal somehow without damaging the soft aluminum fork leg. Some people have had luck prying the seal out with a big screwdriver, YMMV.
                        Another option I noticed is that a 5/16 fits right into a 8mm socket also.

Expected labor hrs?
                        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Couple hours at least, maybe more. You'll also need something to drive the new seals in without damaging them. I use a PVC adapter fitting from Home Depot with the OD ground down a bit. A socket of the correct size would work too.
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

I used bikerphils process last night and it worked perfect. In his post he says to get a hex bolt with a 19mm head which is actually a 12mm bolt. I then placed the plastic bolt wrapper over the head of the bolt and pressed into a deep well socket. 2 extensions and a ratchet completed the "tool". With my electric impact on the outer allen bolt it worked perfectly.
                            1980 XS1100G
                            -Pods

Comment

A standard 3/4" hex nut (1/2" thread) works also...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X