78 xs1100 trans issues a little odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 xs1100 trans issues a little odd

I recently acquired a 78 XS1100 and cleaned the carbs from it sitting for years and changed out the 10 qts of oil it had which isnt uncommon either and fired it up and smoked like a dozen 2 strokes and rode it down the driveway and back with no issues and so I kicked it up on the center stand and held it at 4000 rpms for about 3 minutes in neutral to clear out the cobb webs and it all of the sudden jumped in gear but not first or second more like 3rd or 4th and if you shift the trans locks up or goes back to whatever gear its in. I vaguely remember YEARS ago having this issue with a 82 XJ1100 after fixing 2nd gear and I just didn't have everything tight enough to get the trans aligned properly. So I am hoping something wasn't real tight and vibrated loose while setting on the stand in neutral.

Anyone else experienced something like this and knows what is likely loose, please let me know what to check.
    1978 Yamaha XS1100 standard with way too much $$ invested.

Pull the left rear cover off the engine, the one the shifter goes through. It sounds like either the shifter return spring or something is amiss with the rachet assembly. I would check that first.

The locking up doesn't make sense though.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Why was it sitting for so long? Had the PO been having issues with the gears and tried to repair them?

It almost sounds like someone may have got the shift forks put in the wrong positions.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

PO screwed up the carbs and took a while to get them all back straightend out. Motor runs beautiful now but blasted trans issues. PO stated the trans shifted fine and it shifted fine during test ride to end of driveway. Something has moved and I guess I need to dig out the pictures of this tranny for the 2nd gear fix and see what holds those gear assemblies steady and find out where its loose.

Comment

My 78 XS1100 did the same thing. Had been sitting since 1983 though.

Put the bike in gear and rock it backwards. You may have to be somewhat forceful with it.
          Works best to set on it with both feet on the ground.
          Mine freed up and shifted o.k.
          Then it happened again. I did the backward thing again and it freed up.
          Haven't had a problem with it since, but then again, I don't rev it up very high in neutral on the centerstand anymore either.
          I have put about a 1000 miles on it since this happened.
          1979 XS1100
          1974 CB750
          1985 V65 Sabre
          1988 KLR650
          2001 CR250

Comment

well that is at least an quick easy thing to try. I will post whether that worked or not.

Comment

well the rolling backwards trick didn't work but did give me some needed exercise.

took clutch out and the cover behind the shifter and nothing looks broken or out of sorts.

Comment

All the pins are there, springs working properly?

This guy seems to be having about the same problem.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33717
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

not quite the same problem. Mine has no neutral. when the neutral light is on its in something like 5th gear as I was able to push the bike backwards during the earlier recommended test to get the motor to actually roll over and with 1100cc it would have to be a pretty high gear to get it to rotate over any at all when pushing backwards. I can shift down once and the transmission is locked or I can shift back to the neutral light and be in whatever gear its stuck in and i can shift up once and the transmission is locked. Shift drum itself looks fine with all its pins. I guess I will have to yank the motor and rip the thing apart. I did the in the bike method with my XJ1100 and had a hell of a time getting all that crap back in that motor and working correctly so if I have to yank gears to figure out what is wrong and fix it. So I will be in negative equity on this bike I guess.

Comment

You should be able to see what's going on if you already have the pan off. The secondary shaft where all the shifting is done is right there.

You don't have to pull the engine to work on that, or even remove it. However it is easier, in my opinion, if you flip the bike over on it's back. That way you aren't laying on YOUR back trying to work on it.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

problem is I am not hercules. that blasted thing is NOT light and you have to take mirrors and instrument cluster off which is almost as time consuming as pulling the engine which I admit is not light either. I have not removed the pan off the bottom yet but I did pull the exhaust today so it may not be too hard to do that before yanking motor.

Comment

Originally posted by brharris27370 View Post
                        well the rolling backwards trick didn't work but did give me some needed exercise.

took clutch out and the cover behind the shifter and nothing looks broken or out of sorts.
                        Forgot to mention, pull the plugs out.
                        The transmission is jammed between two gears.
                        When mine did what you are discribing, it didn't release easily.
                        1979 XS1100
                        1974 CB750
                        1985 V65 Sabre
                        1988 KLR650
                        2001 CR250

Comment

Originally posted by brharris27370 View Post
                          problem is I am not hercules. that blasted thing is NOT light and you have to take mirrors and instrument cluster off which is almost as time consuming as pulling the engine
                          What, you don't have a friend?

The guages should be fine. Just remove the mirrors and loosen the bars and tilt them down so they will sit on the bend and retighten them there.

If you can get you hands on a furnature pad like movers use that works great to put down on the floor so you don't scratch stuff up. Also, you'll need something to put under the rear of the frame to keep the fender and tail light up off the floor.

That way you have an instant engine stand and you don't have to wrestle it around while your working on it and everything is still hooked up so you can check operation as you go.

Last edited by BA80; 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I've done the gear repair a few times. I myself have never flipped one, but I am a glutton for punishment sometimes.

Do you have to pull the engine, no you do not. But then there are some folks who would rather pull the engine and even split the cases than mess around with the method of pulling the gears out the tranny pan. All up to you.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

If you have patience to remove the parts in your way flipping the bike is the only way to go. Everything is laid out in front of you and if one of us has to be on our back it will be the Beast every time. Gear removal is the easy part. If you do the washer swap the shaft will need just a touch of persuasion to find its home. I found that the bearing has just enough give to it that nothing broke.
                              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
                              X