Pilot jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot jets?

Which style pilot jets does the 1978 XS1100 use?
    Is it the BS30/96's or the VM22/210?
    The reason I ask is that the bike I am trying to get running properly has had a stumbling problem on take off and slow speed roll ons.
    I have done every possible adjusment and the problem just won't go away.
    Anyway, the manual says the stock pilot jet is a 42.5.
    When I checked them, they are 45's.
    What I have been able to find on line says that the BS30/96's are for CV carbs, but it looks like I have the VM22/210's according to the pics I find.
    Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1979 XS1100
    1974 CB750
    1985 V65 Sabre
    1988 KLR650
    2001 CR250

All of the 1100s XS and XJ use the BS30/96 pilot jets. 6 Holes total. The 78 came stock with 45 pilots.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I had the same misinformation regarding the manual's statement for the pilot size. The 78 does indeed come with #45 pilots. BS30's that is.
      If it helps at all, the manual is correct for the mains; 137.5
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

O.k. I can understand the manual having the wrong size listed, but how the heck did they end up putting in the VM22/210's at the factory?
        That is definetley what is in there.
        The fact that they have less holes and the one on the end is a lot smaller then the BS30/96's makes me wonder if I should just order the right ones in the stock size or go up one size?
        I'm so confused

By the way, the exhaust was all rusted out on the rear and the air box was trashed. So I cut the pipes of just behind the rear mount and have installed pod filters.
        I am up to 145 mains, needle clip stock position and air screw 1 1/4 turns out.
        Runs pretty good except for the low sped stumble.
        1979 XS1100
        1974 CB750
        1985 V65 Sabre
        1988 KLR650
        2001 CR250

Comment

Mistaken Identity?

Originally posted by scrapvalue View Post
          O.k. I can understand the manual having the wrong size listed, but how the heck did they end up putting in the VM22/210's at the factory?
          scrapvalue,

Assembly line work is very boring and the jets do appear similar from the outside....

Comment

Just to clarify, as the picture above indicates, if the hole in the un-threaded end is very small then you've got the right type.

You can not go by the number of holes drilled in the "sides" of the jet to determine the type, only by the location of the metering hole.

I've seen 30/96 type jets stamped as the same "size" but with diffent numbers and combinations of side holes, I'm assuming its a manufacturing thing that isn't susposed to effect the actual flow of fuel.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

The fact that they have less holes and the one on the end is a lot smaller then the BS30/96's makes me wonder if I should just order the right ones in the stock size or go up one size?
              I'm so confused

By the way, the exhaust was all rusted out on the rear and the air box was trashed. So I cut the pipes of just behind the rear mount and have installed pod filters.
              I am up to 145 mains, needle clip stock position and air screw 1 1/4 turns out.
              Runs pretty good except for the low sped stumble.
              All the jet work in the world won't make up for open pipes. You'll never be able to tune it well without some kind of back pressure (muffler) on it.
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Release The Hounds!

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                All the jet work in the world won't make up for open pipes. You'll never be able to tune it well without some kind of back pressure (muffler) on it.
                I concur. It's a jagged little pill to swallow for those that have no Muffs. Stumble....Choke...Slow to roll up to speed. Certainly a compromise in "Drivability".

But then again Wide-Open-Throttle may be all he wants/needs???

Comment

Have ether of you have seen the inside of the stock exhaust where the rear foot begs mount, forward?
                  They are not "open" exhaust.
                  There are still internals and it is not very loud.
                  I have the bike running very good in all throttle positions except for the transfer from low to mid range.
                  Idle to 15 mph is good and from 25 to wide open is great.
                  If you have a helpful answer or an idea of how these carbs actually work,
                  please feel free to offer some help.
                  Otherwise, well you know.
                  1979 XS1100
                  1974 CB750
                  1985 V65 Sabre
                  1988 KLR650
                  2001 CR250

Comment

Have ether of you have seen the inside of the stock exhaust where the rear foot begs mount, forward?
                    I have the bike running very good in all throttle positions except for the transfer from low to mid range.
                    Scrapvalue,

No "offense" intended from my side here. Just trying to "assist" but having only "limited" info about your situation.

The "back-pressure/Tuning" issue is one that's been reported here before and a "search" of the site would show that those without sufficient back-pressure never did get that "hesitation" to go away. When you said you had cut your pipes this issue seemed important enough to bring to your attention. "Loud" is a subjective term and without measuring/knowing the back pressure? you might/might not have crossed the line.

I'm still "iffy" about whether the installed idle jets really are the vm or the bs type. You wording about the number and size of holes leaves me confused. That was important enough for me to post that illustration as an aid to help you tell the difference.

I do have a notion or two about how these carbs work. I'm also willing to impart some of that knowledge.

I am however on the fence right now as far as whether I should in this situation.

Comment

try opening ur mixture screws up a bit more
                      and see how they go.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Well if the vast experience and real-world knowledge offered for free here is not good enough, you could always take it to a shop and pay for the work to correct your hack job.
                        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Sounds to me like you need a carb sync to start (using the proper tools, not "by ear"). When's the last time the timing chain was adjusted? Believe it or not, those two things eliminated my hesitation. Granted I have stock exhaust and stock airbox, your outcome may vary but, those things are necessary. Second, get a color tune to set your low end mixture correctly. If your any good at reading plugs you can get close to where you need to be. Having short pipes like that is one of the biggest contributers to your problem, along with pods. Drive-ability suffers, no way to get around that. Add ambient temperature variables into the mix and be prepared to have a very good running bike one day and a crappy one the next day/month...
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Hey ScrapValue,

First, we are just taking the bits and pieces of your bike you share with us and trying to help you find the answer your looking for. No one is intentionally acusing you of any wrong doing or trying to offend you.

Now as to the jets, I am certain, absolutely positive, that if you use the VM style jets, you will most definitely fight with getting those carbs to perform until you run out of steam and never get them quite right. You will want the BS30/96 style pilot jets. You asked if you shoud go with factory jet sizes or not, well, that exhaust issue is a BIG determining factor in that answer.

And yep, I have seen the innerds of these exhaust, I had one that was worthless and cut it all open to see just how it was configured. Basically, it is ALOT like a three pass shell and tube heat exchanger. The exhaust gasses hit a plate and are forced to go through some tubes the full length of the muffler to the back end of the muffler, where there is another plate so the gasses have to go through a few more shorter tubes into the middle chamber of the muffler and then allowed to go out that short middle tube to leave the muffler.

Cutting the muffler off halfway is only half the story, did you also move that baffle plate and the shorter tubes up? OR just left it open with that first baffle plate back in there and just the existing tubes? In the latter case it would basically be straight exhaust.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Check this

Scrapvalue,

Check this thread that I had a while back. What you are looking for is post #26. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23240&page=2
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X