No announcement yet.

Pressure Build up in engine! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever checked your valve shims? Could have one on #4 being held open.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

if ur getting a lot of pressure build up and little compression then uve probably have a hole or a crack in the piston, might have 2 pull the head and hav a look.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Update

So, I finally got the compression tester on it.
        1- 150#
        2- 145#
        3- 130#
        ..... drum roll please....
        4- 20#

Before anyone asks, i pulled the carbs off, so no restriction to flow there.
        I had checked the valve clarences a little while ago and while they were tight, they were just a little under the minimum spec.

So, I had some 'mystery oil' and put about 2-3 tbsp in #4 and tried to get the compression up, NO JOY
        So, I took the exhaust off to look in the hole to see if the valve might be leaking by, didn't see anything there.
        Ran the starter again and looked/felt the intake and exhuast sides to see if it was leaking there, NOPE. Didn't see anything around the head gasket either.
        So, with #4 down, I put about 1/2 qt of oil into the spark plug hole and let it sit for a while. Used a homemade dipstick to see how much as in there, checked it a few minuites later, and the level dropped a LOT. Once my dipstick was dry, I noticed the 'oil level sightglass' oil level was up. So, it looks like the oil on top of #4 drained right into the sump!
        Tried cycling the engine a few more times.... pressure still at 20#
        NO MAS!!! HELP.
        I guess I hate to ask, but what are my options here?
        Cylinder/piston rebuild?
        Maybe just one set of rings?
        Anyone in the Virginia area got a spare engine?
        Part this sucker out and try a again with another XS?
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Either really really bad rings, or a holed piston. Your cheapest and easiest bet is probably to look for a good replacement engine. If the rest of the bike is in good shape, then finding a running bike without a title for the engine may be the best bet, or just an engine. You should be able to get a good engine for around $100 right about. At least that's what I paid for mine, and prices on a lot of parts are higher here on the left coast, and it was far enough away that it cost me shipping which added about $50 on top of it, plus stupid sales tax cause it was in state. But I've put almost 20,000 miles on that engine and it's still going just fine, just a little rattle from 3k to about 4.5k under light to medium accel that matches the description in the TSB for the vacuum advance issue, and it's not changed a bit that I can tell in 20,000 miles and it DEFINITELY timing related, if I retard the timing it quiets down, if I advance it it's worse, but the TSB part for the problem is NLA so I'll live with it (if I didn't have a fairing I probably wouldn't even notice the sound).
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X