Pressure Build up in engine! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Build up in engine! Help

So after I got the fuel overflow issue fixed I put it all together and I've only got one problem left. However, it's a bigger issue than I thought.
    At idle with the breather hose off, I noticed there was a lot of smoke coming out of the hose and then I noticed oil weeping from the valve cover in numerous places. This is what first started all this many months ago when I blew out a cam plug. Haven't figured it out yet.
    Could it be:
    1. valve seals leaking by thus causing the pressure increase in the case.
    2. Piston rings
    3. Head gasket
    I'm committed to fixing it, but I don't know where to go from here.
    I'm trying to figure if a compression test would tell me something I don't already know. I guess it might tell me which cylinder is messing up, but where in the cylinder would my problem be?

A little back story. before all this started, I had the notorious vac advance broken wire issue and had to limp home on 2 cylinders and rode it real hard. Fixed the broken wire and had a pressure problem since.

thanks in advance.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Compression and leakdown tests would tell you of you have a problem and where it is if there is one.

Did you remove the valve cover and reseal it well?

When was the last oil change? Did you over fill it?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1 on the over filling the oil....
      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
      1980 gs1000g "stock"
      1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
      2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Wash and Wear???

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
        So after I got the fuel overflow issue fixed I put it all together and I've only got one problem left. However, it's a bigger issue than I thought.
        At idle with the breather hose off, I noticed there was a lot of smoke coming out of the hose and then I noticed oil weeping from the valve cover in numerous places. This is what first started all this many months ago when I blew out a cam plug. Haven't figured it out yet.
        Could it be:
        1. valve seals leaking by thus causing the pressure increase in the case.
        2. Piston rings
        3. Head gasket
        I'm committed to fixing it, but I don't know where to go from here.
        I'm trying to figure if a compression test would tell me something I don't already know. I guess it might tell me which cylinder is messing up, but where in the cylinder would my problem be?

A little back story. before all this started, I had the notorious vac advance broken wire issue and had to limp home on 2 cylinders and rode it real hard. Fixed the broken wire and had a pressure problem since.

thanks in advance.
        GLoweVA,

As far as the leaky Valve cover my recommendation is to pull it off and re-seal it. Not a bad way to spend a saturday afternoon IMO.

The whole "Pressure buildup " might be a "non-issue" provided that the venting system is free/clear and doing its job correctly. Allow me to 'splain:

When you decided to continue riding your bike (hard) with 2 cylinders receiving no spark and therefore no combustion in those 2 cylinders, the result was that those 2 cylinders were "AWASH" with Gasoline for the duration of that "get-me-where-I-gotta-go" ride. Gasoline is an excellent SOLVENT. My working theory is that the Solvent dissolved the "coking" around the lowest ring(s) of the two AWASH cylinders.

Look HERE for part(s) Number 7.

What to do?? I'd say try running the bike a few miles more in order to determine if the lower "oil ring" can coke up and re-seal. If it doesn't get any better then the next step is to do the leakdown test as nate suggests along with the tear down/parts replacement.

I wouldn't rule out mechanical problems with the 2 cylinders which were working at the time. They likely got hotter than they should've. Hot enough to pinhole or crack? Take a look inside the spark plug holes and report back.

Then 'course you can check/see if the engine oil level is correct before any heroics, right?

Comment

Limk failure?

Is it just me or did the link in my last post really fail???

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
            Don't know, but I got your advice to GL.
            Here is my take on it.
            Do a compression test. If the test come out well, it almost has to be the oil rings.
            Does the oil smoke coming out the breather come out as a jet, or just sort of waft out?
            A jet would indicate a LOT of blow by, meaning some compression rings are shot, and the compression test would show that.
            Wafting out would indicate the oil control rings are not functioning properly. Or there is an obstruction in the venting passages. (tube clogged?)
            The cover leaks could indicate a lot of crankcase compression, or a bad sealant job.
            CZ

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
              Oop's, double post. Sorry.
              Last edited by CaptonZap; 08-06-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. to answer a few questions:

Did you remove the valve cover and reseal it well? When I had the cover off to check the timing marks last, I resealed it with gasket sealer and tightened down the valve cover bolts, After yesterday's debacle, I checked the tightness on the valve cover bolts and all is good there.

When was the last oil change? Did you over fill it? During my last ride (a few weeks ago) Is when I was having my problems with the carbs overflow. I read in hear that I shouldn't run the possiblity of gas in the oil, so yesterday I changed the oil, about 2.5 qts out and 3 qts in. (I guess I loss a lot during that last ride)

I don't have a compression tester and I guess for the leakdown you need a source of compressed air. Ex-wife got the air compressor

The venting is somewhat pulsating, but not at a very high pressure.
                The valve cover may have too much sealer, so I'm going to do that over.
                I gotta go get me a compression tester and see what's going on in there.
                I know that these engines are almost bulletproof and that's part of the reason I love them so much. (you don't have to baby them hardly at all)

How long would it take to get that lower oil ring to setup? is there anything I can do to help build it up? (ride it real easy, add something to the oil, etc?)
                If it only the lower oil seal, then I should be able to get her up and running fairly soon.

The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Message in a Bottle???

add something to the oil, etc?)
                  If it only the lower oil seal, then I should be able to get her up and running fairly soon.
                  I've used this only once in my lifetime but there was an improvement:

I'd still get the compression tested and do a leakdown test if only to do a before/after adding this "treatment" comparison.

How long the engine would take to "self-heal" would be entirely dependent on how much "damage" was done. Again, this product isn't a "cure-in-a-bottle" but rather an aid to speed up that oil ring cleaning/sealing. Also is "test" to see if the motor can self-repair.

Comment

- - - - Ex-wife got the air compressor - - -
                    Hi George,
                    pressure and leakdown tests will help diagnose the engine problem.
                    BTW, sorry but I can't resist asking:-
                    Did you at least get the ex-wife's sewing machine?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My neighbor is a car junkie and said I could borrow his compression tester, so that should help. As far as the leakdown test, I don't know how I'm gonna manage that. All I've got is a carport and my 3 drawer craftsman toolbox.
                      Before I do all that, I've got to pull that valve cover off again and redo that gasket sealer.
                      ps. the ex also got most of the bills HEHE

The Green Monster
                      Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

My neighbor is a car junkie and said I could borrow his compression tester, so that should help. As far as the leakdown test, I don't know how I'm gonna manage that. All I've got is a carport and my 3 drawer craftsman toolbox.
                        Don't worry too much about a leak down test. A compression check will give you a lot of what you want to know. If you are not familiar with the drill, Google up "how to check compression" and learn a basic skill.
                        A leak down test would give you a better understanding of what is going on inside the cylinder, but a compression check will get you started.
                        Let us know what you find, we need to air our arm pits. CZ

Comment

I knew that Discount Auto Parts will loan out tools, but found out last night that although they won't let you get a compression tester, they will (with a small deposit) let you borrow an air compressor! It looks like I might be abel to do a leak down test after all. Alright, maybe this afternoon/tonight I'll get the neighbor's compression tester.

The Green Monster
                          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Haven't got the compression tester yet, so I went ahead and tried my own 'test'. Took the plugs out and put my thumb over the hole.
                            1 thru 3 blew my thumb right off the hole with a nice crisp pfft. However with #4, I barely felt any pressure at all. I had the valve cover off and didn't notice any 'leakage' past the valve seals, so I assume it's either the rings or the piston itself. Thinking about it some more, it could also be a burnt valve that's not letting the pressure to build up either. (leakdown test would show that)(but that wouldn't explain the case pressure build up)
                            I guess next, I'll drop a few tablespoons of lucas mystery oil in the plug hole and try again. Unfortunately my battery is dying, so I'll have to put the jumper cables on it to get her to roll. Maybe I'll see my neighbor tomorrow.
                            I'm at wits end on this one. My wife even suggested that I buy another bike to ride. (my friend at work has a 92 CBR750) But to me that feels like giving up on my baby.
                            Any ideas from all you master XS'rs?
                            ps. If all it is to build back up the coking, then I've got to run her for a while and I've read numerous times that RTV is all you need for the gasket, but I think that with the amount of pressure that's building up, that RTV won't hold up. I've got permagasket #2 (nonhardening) Do you think a gasket would fair better?

The Green Monster
                            Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

GLoweVA,

Just a "confirmation" request: When #4 didn't blow your thumb off the spark plug hole did you have the throttle wide open? It does matter and I for one am hoping that you forgot to twist the throttle grip during the test of #4 compression.

I'm unclear as to the extent of the valve cover leak so may I suggest that if it's only "weeping" a bit at the moment that you delay/defer addressing it until the "pressurizing" issue has been dealt with? What I mean is that with the venting system working (Unplugged and free flowing, right???) there shouldn't be a build-up of pressure as the gasses escape through the vent hose. If you are seeing a pressure build up to the degree that it blows out whatever sealant you used last time then using a stronger/better sealant is heading in the wrong direction IMO. Short version: work on eliminating the pressure build up in the first place.

Can't give you any insight as to the RTV sealant you're using cause in situations where I have no gasket(s) at all I use this:

The Right Stuff by permatex.

Are you saying that you don't have a valve cover gasket installed at the moment? IMO a gasket is always better but others may chime in with a differing view. Not sure but I think that in order to get the valve cover gasket an entire gasket set must be purchased.

(I'm still using the original gasket that came with my bike and haven't yet had to travel down this road...)

Comment

Working...
                              X