Blows ignition fuse when put into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blows ignition fuse when put into gear

I am back to working on the wiring on the bike. I know the wiring for the starter button is not working. I can jump the solenoid and get the bike started. With the engine running and the green neutral light on, I shift into first gear let out the clutch and the ignition fuse blows in the engine dies.

With the engine running and the green neutral light on, I can start shifting up through the gears and ignition fuse blows and the engine dies.

Do you think this is connected to the starter button not working, or is it a second wiring problem?

David
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

You probably have multiple problems. I'd suspect bad grounds. Clean all your ground connections:

battery

battery to frame

frame to engine (at middle drive)

Wire harness to regulator

Proper clean involves removing the bolt, pulling the connector off, use emory or wire brush to scrape off all the old crud from the connection point, the bolt and the wire end, then re-install. Good -n - tight.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
      Do you think this is connected to the starter button not working, or is it a second wiring problem?
      That's a second wiring problem. You probably have a bare spot in the wiring to your neutral switch; try removing the bulb for the neutral light. If the problem goes away, check the harness coming from your ignition pickups. I'd look specifically where it runs under the shifter cover and behind the motor on it's way to the plug behind the fusebox.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I don't know where you're going with this, Steve, but:

A bare spot in the wire to the neutral switch would not cause the engine to die, if it were to short to ground, it would only simulate the action of the neutral switch and keep the bulb lit.

Along the same lines, though, IF there were a bare spot and there was water in the harness, that can cause the same symptom. When the neutral switch is made the light is lit, the second the switch goes open that current is looking for another path and the pickup wires may be it.
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          ...Along the same lines, though, IF there were a bare spot and there was water in the harness, that can cause the same symptom. When the neutral switch is made the light is lit, the second the switch goes open that current is looking for another path and the pickup wires may be it.
          That's what I suspect is going on. You wouldn't even need any water; the pickup coils have a high enough resistance that as long as the light is on via the switch you wouldn't get much 'leakage' into the circuit. But remove the ground path through the switch, then the current starts looking for another path. Unplugging the light will remove power at that point in the harness, so if that's the problem it should clear...

Of course, now you have to find where it is...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have some new info. Last fall I torqued the oil drain bolt out of the oil pan. This spring I replace the oil pan and I had to reattach of the brackets that held the two sets of wires up out of the way. I am now wondering, if one of those sets of wires runs from the neutral switch.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

David
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Previous Bikes
            1982 Honda CB900c
            1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Yeah, the loom on the left side has the neutral light wire in it.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks Nate. That's where I'll start.

David
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Previous Bikes
                1982 Honda CB900c
                1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Just to be clear, does the fuse blow and engine die as soon as you put it in gear? Or does it remain running until you let out the clutch?

If it dies as soon as you put it in gear, that would indicate something with the neutral switch. If it is only after you let out the clutch, then it is most likely in the clutch switch.

On the 81 models Yamaha implemented the true Neutral safety, meaning that not only does it light the light in the tach, but it actually keeps you from starting the bike if it is not in Neutral, unless you have the clutch pulled in. If you pull the clutch while in gear it will start.

So, somewhere in that circuit you have a wiring issue, or a short, the starting system is included in the ignition fuse.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    On the 81 models Yamaha implemented the true Neutral safety, meaning that not only does it light the light in the tach, but it actually keeps you from starting the bike if it is not in Neutral, unless you have the clutch pulled in. If you pull the clutch while in gear it will start..
                    I thought it was only the '82-up bikes that had that.... there's no mention of it in the FSM or on the wiring diagrams.

To verify that the problem is in the neutral switch, you can pull the turn signal fuse (removing power from the neutral light) then try it.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I thought so to Steve, and in fact my first SH did NOT have that feature and it was in much better shape and more stock than this one was when I got it. But I put the stock wiring harness from ole Thunderstruck on this bike, and it still will not start unless I pull the clutch with it in gear. Even the fact there is a spot to connect a switch form the clutch tells me that this was a stock feature, what other reason is there for a clutch switch?

So I am left to think it was defeated on my first one some how, as it to had the switch, I just never thought about it.
                      Last edited by DGXSER; 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

"Just to be clear, does the fuse blow and engine die as soon as you put it in gear? Or does it remain running until you let out the clutch?

If it dies as soon as you put it in gear, that would indicate something with the neutral switch."

The fuse blows and engine dies as soon as I let out the clutch while it is in gear.

The fuse blows and engine dies when I shift through the gears while holding the clutch lever.
                        1981 XS1100 Special
                        Previous Bikes
                        1982 Honda CB900c
                        1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Back from holidays

I'm back from holidays in facing my wiring problems. To tell the truth, it scares the crap out of me to get into wiring problems. I don't mind working on mechanical problems as long as I have enough information to get the job done. But when it comes to wiring on a bike or car I feel overwhelmed, and worry I'll do more harm than good.

I've arranged to take the bike into a friend of mine to help me with this troubleshooting. Is there a way to easily and temporarily bypass the neutral switch? That way I'll know before I go that it is definitely in the neutral switch circuitry.

Sorry to be such a pain with this problem, but "I can do what I can do, and what I can't do I have to get help"!

Thanks in advance, David
                          1981 XS1100 Special
                          Previous Bikes
                          1982 Honda CB900c
                          1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

An easier way to check if the wiring to the neutral light switch is just disconnect the wire from the switch. Just loosen the phillips screw on the switch and pull the wire out.

That's what it sounds like to me also. BTDT

A bad pickup coil wire can act the same way also.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Will disconnecting that wire bypass the neutral switch, letting me uses the bike?

David
                              1981 XS1100 Special
                              Previous Bikes
                              1982 Honda CB900c
                              1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X