No announcement yet.

Blows ignition fuse when put into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly, but it would be another elecrical problem looking to happen.

If that stops it from dying look into peeling the loom covering and repairing the wires or another set of pickup coils.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks Greg. I am taking the bike to a friend's place tomorrow to get this wiring problem fixed and I want to ride it there.

David
      1981 XS1100 Special
      Previous Bikes
      1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
      1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
      1982 Honda CB900c
      1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
      1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Did it work?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If the short is in the wire going to the switch, disconnecting the switch won't 'fix' the problem, and may prevent you from even getting the bike started. Pull the bulb out of the neutral light at the tach; if the problem is in the wire going to the switch, this will clear it....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Steve for reminding me.

David
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Previous Bikes
            1982 Honda CB900c
            1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              If the short is in the wire going to the switch, disconnecting the switch won't 'fix' the problem, and may prevent you from even getting the bike started. Pull the bulb out of the neutral light at the tach; if the problem is in the wire going to the switch, this will clear it....
              I don't understand why y'all want to start with the most difficult stuff to try first instead of the other way around.

Y'all must spend a lot of time screwin' with that.

Besides, last time I checked a LIGHT BULB won't cause a blown fuse Steve. If that were the case a test light would wreak havoc.
              Last edited by BA80; 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Besides, last time I checked a LIGHT BULB won't cause a blown fuse Steve. If that were the case a test light would wreak havoc.
                Go back and read post 5.....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Read it.......it makes no sense either.

Again I'll say.....
                  If that were the case a test light would wreak havoc.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg is the neutral switch hidden under something, or am I just blind?
                    1981 XS1100 Special
                    Previous Bikes
                    1982 Honda CB900c
                    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

It's kinda in a little nook by the left frame rail on the bottom of the engine between the 2 front bottom screws in the left rear engine cover. Follow the harness from the pickup coils and you'll find it.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks Greg.

David
                        1981 XS1100 Special
                        Previous Bikes
                        1982 Honda CB900c
                        1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Read it.......it makes no sense either..
                          Ok, I'll spell it out so you can understand it.

The possible problem is the circuit wire to the neutral switch may be shorting to one of the pick-up wires. The coils have a high resistance (720 ohms), so as long as the switch is closed (light on), the 12v+ powering the light has a near-zero resistance path to ground. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance, so 'leakage' into the pick-up coils will be tiny and there's no interference with the TCI.

Shift the bike out of neutral; the switch is now open, and that 12v+ coming from the light is still seeking a path to ground. Current/voltage now flows into the pick-up coil circuit, from there to the TCI. Quoting from the service manual: 'the pick-up coils produce a small current when the reluctor passes by. This current is sent to the ignitor unit which amplifies this signal and stops current flow through the coil...'. (bold emphasis added)

The key thing to note here is that 'small' current is in millivolt/amps. By allowing a full 12v into this circuit, that will be amplified to a too-high value for the TCI, blowing out the supply fuse (luckily). Removing the lamp from the neutral light will kill power to the wire going to the switch, clearing the problem. You'll still need to find where the contact between the wires is, but this will allow the TCI to work.
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

OK, I understand that Steve. Now spell out for me how a light bulb will blow a fuse.

Try not to get too technical. You'll confuse me.
                            Last edited by BA80; 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

OK, I understand that Steve. Now spell out for me how a light bulb will blow a fuse.

Try not to get too technical. You'll confuse me.
                              I did explain it; if you can't understand the explanation, I can't help you....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X