Engine Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Overhaul

I want to purchase a whole engine rebuild kit. I have searched for this topic on the forums but didnt really find anything. Does anyone know where I can get a top and bottom rebuild kit?

Bottom end bearings are near impossible to find.

What all from the top are you looking for?

A kit though is non existent. What is your reasoning for all this?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The only type of a kit I have seen is a WISECO PISTON KIT. They are not cheep. Its a overbore piston kit.

Here is one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WISEC...Q5fAccessories
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I'm doing a full restoration on a 79 xs1100 sf. I wanted the motor rebuilt because I have a feeling the po didn't take care of it. I don't want to put all the work into it and have the engine fail. It has just under 50k miles.

Comment

Get a set of micrometers and/or an accurate caliper and a manual and take the motor down. Measure everything and I bet you will find all is still in tolerance. These motors are fairly bulletproof and unless seriously abused should not eat up bearings, rings, pistons, etc. I would not get into the oultay of cash and time to locate engine parts until you know you must replace something.

Just my thoughts.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by Spootinay View Post
            I'm doing a full restoration on a 79 xs1100 sf. I wanted the motor rebuilt because I have a feeling the po didn't take care of it. I don't want to put all the work into it and have the engine fail. It has just under 50k miles.
            Even before you tear it all apart, run a compression test on the motor; that will tell you a lot about condition. If it still has good readings, nothing will need to be done.

As Nate said, there are no 'kits'. If you search eBay, you'll find NOS dealer 'kits' for the rod and main bearings for sale occasionally (figure about $200 each if you can find them), but these will be all the sizes that were available. 'Standard' oversize pistons are all-but-impossible to find; again, searching eBay will turn up singles, you may be able to come up with a full set from several vendors. Typical prices are about $50 each. There's a few companies that can make them for you, but cost goes to about $100 each. You may still be able to get rings from Yamaha (they were available at least up to recently), again, about $50 per cylinder. Some aftermarket sets have surfaced recently, some owners have filed the oversize sets down to fit the standard bore with decent results. As Ozz said, the only kits out there are the Wiseco ones (either the 1179 or 1196cc) but these will require an overbore. You can have $7-800 in just parts if doing a full rebuild, IF you can find them...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Even before you tear it all apart, run a compression test on the motor; that will tell you a lot about condition. If it still has good readings, nothing will need to be done.
              If the compression is a bit, or even a lot low, then do a full leakdown test. It will tell you where the leakage is, which will tell you a lot about what may need to be done to bring it back into shape.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Well I guess an engine overhaul is out. What about the wiring harness, is there a place where I can buy a replacement? Painless Wiring maybe?

Comment

I just recently put a Wiseco 1196 piston kit in my 1982 XJ1100. This kit is amazing, added tons of powe. No problems and bike is running great. I did the upgrade for peace of mind, still have stock pistons, spare cylinder, head if anyone needs them.

Thanks
                  Jamie

Comment

You're looking at the same thing on a harness; no longer available. If yours has been hacked up up, you'll have to look for a good used one. If it hasn't been chopped on, the usual troubles on these is dirty plug connectors which can be cleaned. You also need to get the right year/model, as there are differences; your '79 SF is a one-year-only model. It is possible to to adapt other XS11 harnesses, but none will be exactly right as you get them.

Rebuilding/restoring one of these bikes can be a challenge because of the poor parts supply; other than normal 'consumables' (like brake pads, cables, brake/carb rebuild kits, etc), you're pretty much limited to the used market for replacements.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                    X