No announcement yet.

And then depression sat in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, if you had the master apart, it needs bled before the rest of the system. A quick way is with the hose disconnected, put your finger over the hole where the line goes. Then with the reservoir full slowly pump the lever and fluid and air will come out the hole. Make sure you keep the finger tight over the hole when you let up on the lever. You will need to keep the reservoir full. After no more air coming out, reattach the brake line and do the same thing at the other end of the line. After no air there, reattach and bleed the caliper. You have had all of the system apart to rebuild it. There is a lot of air in there you must get out. It will be a pain in the butt, but take you time and like said before work from the top down. Remember, that when you bleed one caliper the other still has air so, typically the caliper farthest from the master cylinder is done first, working toward the closest caliper last. It's only time and brake fluid. Let the force be with you.
    1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
    1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
    1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

some people need to read into what the owners issues are before posting. use ur brains before u type! thanx to GURU's like natemoen who really understand the systems and are helpful to us rookies. ive read several older posts about the spooge hole causing no/low pressure in the brakes. the spooge is for the return of the fluid and if clogged ur brakes will drag, which is the opposite of no pressure. sorry, i should keep quiet but couldnt help it. when ur not experienced and u trust the posts, u can really get confused. i know it will never stop, but think it thru and try to be sober before u post.
      Michael
      Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM.
      Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
      Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.
      78 headlite, handle bars,
      1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
      crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
      78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
      94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

When you rebuilt the master cylinder did you use MC 'kit' ? If yes then did your 'kit' include a new piston?, and if so did it have the seal already attached, or was it separate ? Reason I ask is are you sure you have the seal (the little 'cup') in the right way round. Sounds to me like it could be in backwards and cant build pressure... JAT
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Back-up Plan?

Originally posted by papajoe View Post
          Until then I might just live on the edge and ride with rear brake only.
          If you can't fix your front brakes then I suggest getting a louder horn:

Last edited by Larrym; 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM. Reason: Steven Wright had insights for things like this...

Comment

Or an air bag!
            1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
            1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
            1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Safety Concerns...

Originally posted by Douglas Money View Post
              Or an air bag!
              Safety AND Flotation:

Why settle for only one when you can have both?

Comment

Working...
              X