And then depression sat in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then depression sat in.

Ok. rebuilt master cylinder on my 79' xs 1100f, rebuilt both calipers, checked all lines and everything else I could think of. Still no front brakes. Cant get inspection so no tags no ride. If someone can give me a suggestion of what to do next It would really help. By the way I have found no leaks or anything like that so please go beyond the obvious. Thanks.
    PapaJoe
    79 XS 1100f ( lil' mule )
    79 XS 1100sf
    79 XS 1100 project/parts bike

brake check list

Hi Papajoe,,,,start at the top and work down,,,,,
    1. loosen bolt at master cylinder and keep pumping, if fluid squirts out, master is working correctly
    2. loosen brake line down going into one of the brake cylinders, not the bleed bolt, but the line bolt,,pump the master repeatedly, when squeezing lever have bolt loose, before releasing tighten the line connector so no air gets in, when lever is out, loosen and start over,, making sure there is lots of fluid in the reservoir, and if air or fluid comes out with a sqeeze the line is clear,
    3. do this on each side to check for fluid, usually takes a couple dozen times to bleed the air and or fluid
    4, if no fluid or air is coming out the lines are clogged, time for new lines
    5. I had clogged lines and a world of difference when replaced, hopefully yours just have air,,,,it takes a while to bleed out,,,,or get speedbleeder bleed screws to simplify the process.....keep us informed...........Mike in S.Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Thanks Mike. Will try your suggestion for the master and brake lines. I am getting fluid out of the bleeders (and some air bubbles) when I try to bleed the system. But no pressure seems to build up.
      PapaJoe
      79 XS 1100sf

Comment

keep at it

Goood news, if you are getting fluid out of each side of the front cylinders you are on your way. Remember to close the bleeder after each squeeze of the master cylinder or air gets in and it will never bleed right.
        Keep opening the bleeder, squeeze the master, close bleeder and after a couple dozen of that it should get firm.
        ONly other suggestion is make sure all connections are tight so no air gets in

It does take awhile to bleed, keep the master filled, having a person help with one end makes it faster and more efficient.........hang in there, anyone else have suggestions????????????????????? Mike in S.DIego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

One more suggestion. This worked for me back in '04 before I had speed bleeders:

Situate the bike under a rafter or ceiling joist in the garage. Point is to have a place to hang the calipers from. The union will have to be loose from the tree for this..with the calipers and hoses all connected, hang the calipers, using rope or whatever, above the level of the M/C. Ty-wrap a piece of wood or anything between the brake pads so the pistons are not free to move. Bleed.

BTW, either remove the tank or cover it WELL. Brake fluid is the best paint remover on earth.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Mike, fluid dosent "squirt" from master just seems to weep/run out. When bleeding lever never gets even close to firm. Could I have missed something in the rebuild? No parts left over.(haha!)
            PapaJoe
            79 XS 1100sf

Comment

Davinci, thanks for the suggestion. And yes brake fluid is a great paint remover. Will have to repaint or strip the rest from the calipers when this nightmare is over.
              PapaJoe
              79 XS 1100sf

Comment

brakes

Hay Joe....one more thing to look at...sometimes the small hole at the bottom of the reservoir gets plugged up ( spoog hole). I used a stiff bit of wire to make sure the hole was open.
                At this time:
                1985 Goldwing Innr.
                1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                2007 vtx 1300
                81 sx 1100 s h
                81 sx 400 special

Comment

If your master is working correctly you should not be able to keep brake fluid from squirting out around your finger when you have your finger over the outlet hole in the master cylinder (where the banjo bolt screws in). If you are not getting that much pressure you need to look at the master again. Make sure BOTH holes in the reservoir are clear.

Other than that, if those holes are clear and the master is not leaking past the plunger onto the lever, I cannot think of a reason why the master isn't pressurizing. The plunger is moving with the lever, right?

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                  1969 Yamaha DT1B
                  Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted. At this point I give up. To much time wasted. I wll take it to my local shop and have them fix it when I can afford it. I guess Ill just have to ride my wife's 79 xs1100sf ( if she'll let me, I ride harder than her) just finished it's rebuild last summer. Conservation not restoration at this point. Perhaps when I go back to work I can afford to restore both.
                    PapaJoe
                    79 XS 1100sf

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe View Post
                      Thanks to everyone who posted. At this point I give up. To much time wasted. I wll take it to my local shop and have them fix it when I can afford it. I guess Ill just have to ride my wife's 79 xs1100sf ( if she'll let me, I ride harder than her) just finished it's rebuild last summer. Conservation not restoration at this point. Perhaps when I go back to work I can afford to restore both.
                      It sounds like you have air trapped in the master, or maybe you pumped it too far. If you pulled the handle all the way to the bar, you have popped the little cup backwards and it will never build pressure now. It's not fatal, just take it apart and reassemble. The service manual suggests using a block of wood to keep the handle from moving more than about 1/2 it's possible movement when bleeding the brakes, as more than that can cause this problem.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks CY, I did use a block to avoid that but I think that might still be the problem. I now have the entire system off the bike so that I can go over the entire rebuild again. Until then I might just live on the edge and ride with rear brake only. That is if I can pass inspection without front brakes.
                        PapaJoe
                        79 XS 1100sf

Comment

Spooge hole

Sounds to me like the Spooge hole is plugged? Whatever you do.. Do not ride this old rocket without front brakes!
                          78 XS1100E Standard
                          Coca Cola Red
                          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
                            Sounds to me like the Spooge hole is plugged? Whatever you do.. Do not ride this old rocket without front brakes!
                            The spooge hole allows the pressure that does build to release. If it is not building pressure the it isn't the spooge hole causing the problem. Gotta be either air, seal, or something wasn't assembled correct.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Foreda, Thanks for your concern but its really nothing new for me. Been having front brake problems for a while (working not working) kinda got use to it. By the way I was born in Shreveport La. and grew up all over the state. Even lived in beautiful Hackberry La. while working on the Calcasieu river (at Devils Elbow near Browns Lake ).
                              PapaJoe
                              79 XS 1100sf

Comment

Working...
                              X