Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just died

Was out riding today
    When i got home just as i pulled up the bike died before i was even stopped. Hit the start button and nothing. When i push the button the lights dim but the starter will not spin over at all. Battery is good. This also happened yesterday when i went to start the bike after a short ride. Tried to push start it and nothing. Then after about 10 minutes i hit the button and it fired right up.
    Any idea's on what i should be checking and how?
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Perhaps the starter solenoid? Can you arc across the leads on the solenoid and get the starter to spin? Of course, that doesn't explain why it died in the driveway though... Is your battery charging properly? Check the voltages at idle and while rev'd.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

If it just simply died and you had no lights no starter no nothing, then I would suspect your ignition/key switch is going bad. May want to take it off, clean it up good, clean the connectors well. If you still had lights, but no run and no starter then perhaps you have a loose connector in the right hand emergency stop switch.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

ive looked for the emerg stop switch on my 81 Special. where is it typically located on the bike and what does it look like? its a good thing to know. thanx bro
        Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
        Kerker 4/1
        stock carbs and air box.
        78 headlite, handle bars,
        1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
        crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
        78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
        94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

before you go and tear every thing apart ou need to load check your battery , if it reads 12v just sitting there it might still be bad , hook up a tester and hit the starter button . if the voltage caves then you have found your problem . I had the same thing happen and I tore a bunch of stuff apart until I did figure out it is the battery
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I had the same thing happen. I did not have the negative cable hooked tightly. Worth a look...
            Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
            1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
            1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

check the ground cable at battery to frame

Hi,,,,maybe check the ground cable from the battery to the frame. Same thing happened to me on a ride. The ground connector to the frame just about broke and the bike acted the same, not enough to start, drove me crazy for awhile,,,,I jiggled the ground connector and it just broke completely at the frame connector. Clean up or check yours....Keep us informed..............Mike in S.Diego
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
                ive looked for the emerg stop switch on my 81 Special. where is it typically located on the bike and what does it look like? its a good thing to know. thanx bro
                It is on the frame cross bar under the fuel tank and has two wires. Unplug it to bypass.
                Your problem sounds like it might be a melted ignition switch connector in the headlight bucket.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Check battery water too.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Battery tested good. Ground cables are attached and clean. Will check charging system and Connectors in the headlight bucket later today. It was quite hot out the day it happened 91f and with the humidex we were at about 107f
                    82 XJ1100
                    Regina,Saskatchewan,
                    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Finally had time to go have a look. I checked the wiring in the headlight bucket and it all seems fine. Checked the charging system and that is all working good. 13 volts at idle and 14 volts at 2500 rpm's . i am at a loss for what it might be. Could it be in the ignition switch?
                      82 XJ1100
                      Regina,Saskatchewan,
                      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Yes it could be, you can take it apart and inspect it for corrosion, broken solder joints, etc.!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X