Front brakes won't Pressurize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brakes won't Pressurize

When I purchased this bike the cap and diaphragm were off of the front MC. I just finished rebuilding the MC and I used this method to fill the system with brake fluid:

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=1842.0

I had already bled the MC by working the brake lever and opening and closing banjo bolt hole with my finger. I had the pressure build up high enough that I could squirt fluid across the garage. I then filled the lines from the bottom up, bolted the brake line to the MC with the banjo bowl.

I can pump the lever seemingly forever and I cannot get the pressure build up What should I try next?

T I A David
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

sounds like u unseated the rubber oring in the pump valve. if u pulled the lever all the way back while trying to bleed u might have to disasemble and put it back where it was. your only suppose to pull about 3/4 the way back leaving about and inch from the throttle control.
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

IIRC the field service manual recommends putting a block of wood behind the lever to prevent pulling it too far.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Bubble Trouble???

From a previous posting of mine:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Comment

I did the same thing a few months back and was in denial for a while about it being the rubber piece ... finally after bleeding the brakes a billion times including leaving it parked with a bungee cord around the lever overnight. .. I broke down and took it apart. Had to bring it to with ans try 10 different snapring pliers before finding the right ones...
          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
          xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
          8mm msd wires
          tkat fork brace...
          Fox shocks...
          mikes650 front fender
          led's gallore...
          renthal bars
          gold valve emulators
          vmax tensioner
          Rifle fairing

Comment

Pressure!!!

I went out this afternoon and disconnected the brake line from the MC. I pumped the lever slowly while placing my finger on and off the banjo bolt hole. After a half a dozen pumps pressure build, and after a few more pumps I could not hold the brake fluid in. I reconnected the brake line. I attached it clear holes to the right caliper bleed screw and open open the screw up. then with slow, shallow repeated pumps of the brake lever , I successfully bled the right hand caliper.
            I used the same procedure with the different clear hose on the left caliber. After the bleeder screws were closed tight I continued slow shallow pumps of the brake lever and was rewarded with a nice firm brake lever.

And now, on to the fork oil!
            Last edited by davidsymons53; 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM.
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Previous Bikes
            1982 Honda CB900c
            1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Mission Mentality...

davidsymons53,

Congratulations!

Not every owner has solved this problem in a timely manner. Some have gotten caught in a troubleshooting "loop" where they keep disassembling and reassembling the system because they are convinced that the problem is parts related. Then they move on to purchasing new parts, installing those new parts, and still getting a "spongy" brake lever. (very frustrating and costly to boot...)

Not every owner has solved this problem at all. My first XS came with a parts bike. (Not really a complete bike but rather just the mangled frame, the engine mounted in the frame along with some boxes of parts .) Because I lived in a small community at the time I was able to meet the original "owner" of that crashed bike. It seems that he was unable to solve this "problem" yet still chose to ride the motorcycle. The "crash" was a direct result of his inability to decelerate/stop at a "Tee" intersection.

Comment

Thanks Larry.
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Previous Bikes
                1982 Honda CB900c
                1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Working...
                X