Sticker Shock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticker Shock!

I was planning on going into 'the big city' today to purchase the paint I need to finish my SG, so I called the local autobody suppliers for prices.... really glad I did.

Holy s**T!!! Prices have gone up since the last time I bought paint!!! Best price I could find after calling around was about $80 for a quart of single-stage urethane, and that didn't include reducer or hardener; add those, and the total not including tax would have been well over $100. These were the cheap guys; most were between $150 and $200, just for the paint!!! I searched online, but almost all didn't sell quarts, gallons only, so I was still looking at over $100, and having enough paint left over to do another 2-3 bikes. I finally found these guys: http://www.thecoatingstore.com/ for about $55 for a 'kit' with a quart of paint and both the reducer and hardener. I'll post the results after it shows up and I spray it... these guys might be a good source for those who are planning on repaints and don't want to hand over your firstborn...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

I went to Sherwin Williams about a year ago and go the paint and clear coat for Banshee. Both are two part paints. I spent right at $70 for all of it including the filters.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I didn't realize Sherwin-Williams sold automotive paint. Is the two-part clear gas resistant?

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

^ yes most 2 parts are gas resistant... thats what the hardener is for
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          I went to Sherwin Williams about a year ago and go the paint and clear coat for Banshee. Both are two part paints. I spent right at $70 for all of it including the filters.
          I didn't call them as they didn't come up in my search. I just did.... $122 for one quart of single stage w/reducer & hardener.... prices have gone up...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

When I recently painted my tank, I used 2 rattle cans of engine enamel ($10) and 2 part clear ($35) with a spray gun. $122 geez.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

a gallon of paint for my 930 porsche was $1400.00
              careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Mikie....my man......I've got some stuff for sale. I'll make you a SMOKIN' deal.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've been paying $85 - $95 per quart for about the last 2 years. Last time I bought automotive paint I think I paid $100 - $125 pre-mixed ready to paint. I use automotive paint at work for painting our prototypes.
                  82' XJ1100 turned "bagger" with Vetter Fairing.

Comment

I looked around for someone to paint my XJ650 Maximum tank red here in CT. IF I supplied the paint the lowest bid I got back was $275 and that was for me to have them lay paint on top of the existing paint.

It's stupid expensive to have a pro do anything around here regarding paint.

Rattle can from Chacal is sounding good...
                    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I just got some paint a couple months back. $33 a quart of base color, $22 for the clear, $8 for the hardeners, and $12 for the reduce.

Next time I do a paint job I might try the water based paints.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        I just got some paint a couple months back. $33 a quart of base color, $22 for the clear, $8 for the hardeners, and $12 for the reducer...
                        Where did you get it, and what brand?

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Nason brand. Paint I got at carquest and the clear I got at a local paint place.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                            I looked around for someone to paint my XJ650 Maximum tank red here in CT. IF I supplied the paint the lowest bid I got back was $275 and that was for me to have them lay paint on top of the existing paint.

It's stupid expensive to have a pro do anything around here regarding paint.

Rattle can from Chacal is sounding good...
                            It IS possible to get a good finish with rattle cans. It's all in the prep. Prep the primer as if it were the top coat and you'll get a nice paint job. The final clear is very important for longevity. If using a rattle can clear, go with the duplicolor high heat clear. It's gas-proof after curing for about a month. I'm on my 7th year with my rattle can job and it looks as good as the first day I laid it down.
                            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                              It IS possible to get a good finish with rattle cans. It's all in the prep. Prep the primer as if it were the top coat and you'll get a nice paint job. The final clear is very important for longevity. If using a rattle can clear, go with the duplicolor high heat clear. It's gas-proof after curing for about a month. I'm on my 7th year with my rattle can job and it looks as good as the first day I laid it down.
                              Are you serious Randy! Yours is rattle can?

Dang!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X