Need Your Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James England View Post
    Have a look at this. It's rare to see one of these in the UK as it's a US import. This one is completely standard.....airbox, exhaust. Your rear shocks look to be OEM like the ones on this bike. It didn't sell, which I found surprising..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-YAMAH...item231243d778
    That is a beauty... There's something weird going on with the rear fender (it's slanted down a bit, maybe modded slightly for that rack), but a otherwise very nice original.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I agree with James. I believe the shocks are stock. They look identical to the ones on a XS650SH in my garage. I expect the SG got the shock with the reflector and the G did not. SG has dampening adjustment as well. G does not. Can someone contradict this...please?

FWIW, Progressive told me the stock spring is 85% of their 120/170 rate spring. I don't know how they compare the straight rate spring to a progressive wound spring? The 120/170 was fine for my 230 lbs and bike unloaded. I had to dial in preload for the desired sag. Once I load the bike and add a passenger, it's a no-go. WAY too much sag. My current springs are 140/200. I sourced them through 650 Central. They're a bit stiff when I'm solo.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Bags

Do you ride solo? Get something like this, and toss it over the seat:
        Cortech
        No modifications required. Add a tank bag, set a bag on the seat and you can stay gone for more than a month!

Marty (in Tampa)
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          That is a beauty... There's something weird going on with the rear fender (it's slanted down a bit, maybe modded slightly for that rack), but a otherwise very nice original.
          Yes, on closer inspection, you're right. The fender (mudguard, here) has been dropped so it doesn't catch on the reat light. Mmm.... I think I'd have modded the rack, not the fender.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            Do you ride solo? Get something like this, and toss it over the seat:
            Cortech
            No modifications required. Add a tank bag, set a bag on the seat and you can stay gone for more than a month!

Marty (in Tampa)
            Years ago, for a trip round France, I bought an entire (tanned) cow hide, a large 'sail needle' and the cowhide place gave me 2 miles of black button thread. I made a pair of throwover panners which held a huge amount of stuff and were indestructable. I had them for years and then, when I had to give up bikes for a while, I sold them to a Harley owner. They're surprisingly easy to make.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The fender (mudguard, here)...
              I know how to translate British, as I own a Jaguar...

It's boot (trunk), bonnet (hood), wings (fenders), and hood (roof)...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                I know how to translate British, as I own a Jaguar...

It's boot (trunk), bonnet (hood), wings (fenders), and hood (roof)...
                Nearly.... you must have an old Jaguar.... roof = roof

Comment

Originally posted by steelraider View Post
                  Just purchased a 1980 Musem quality XS1100 standard. Looking to outfit it with the following options and would like to ask the membership what they feel would be the best bang for the buck in quality and performence. Please include brand and model number.
                  1. Windshield
                  2. Soft bags and soft trunk system
                  3. Rear shocks (I'm overweight due to heart medications)
                  4. Front end suspension improvements
                  5. What upgrades, modifications do feel are mandatory to enhance performance and reliability?

I have already read most of the postings and testimonials on these subjects but would like to get some real world suggestions.

Spoke to TCAT at length on phone and he gave me TREMENDOUS help with ideas, suggestions, and a great feeling about the XS11 community. Thanks TC!!

Looking forward to some good ideas!!

Larry
                  Having done the shock think myself, I would recommend the XJ shocks. You might have to rebuild a set you get, but frankly if you check the tech tip it's not too hard, and the ARE rebuildable and being air shocks will handle the load just fine (they will handle more load than the bike will IMHO). They clean up pretty nice as well, so you can have them look just as good as the bike before you put them on. As for the forks, I agree with others, depending on what your riding style is, the TKat brace may well be all you need with the air over oil forks of the 80 model with AFAIK are pretty much the same as the improved forks of the 81 standard, which added dampening on the rear shocks to the mix (which the 80 didn't have stock).
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Response Results

Thank you for your ideas and thoughts !! We have the faction which wishes me to preserve the stock configuration and those that point out the standard upgrades to improve the handleing and durability of the bike.

I am torn on which way to go but I purchased the bike to ride and enjoy. I feel the changes that would be done are reversable without destroying the value of the bike. Everybike I have ever had was a big part of my life at the time.
                    They provided me with a place to keep my head straight. As I wrenched on them I was lost in my own world of calm and enjoyment not really thinking about any problems. Have any of you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Highly recommended!!!

Due to age and health, the day of wrenching has ended and riding is now my concern. I will sort thru the ideas and pick out the ones that will give me piece of mind on the road and maxamize the enjoyment of riding. Thanks for the invite to the Iron Horse, will put it on my calendar of muat do things. Thank you Steve for dropping in and our marathon 6-7 hr phone converstion. We must do it often. Thanks TC for cleanind up my posting efforts and our phone conversation also.

I think I have a place to hang out and lurk and join in when I have an idea, and make new friends. For a little more aout me check out www.qrz.com and in the upper left search box type in "kw4a" that is my ham call. When you get there check details and you will find a picture and short bio.

Again Thank You and I continue to welcome additional thoughts and ideas to this thread.

423.365.4460 call anytime.
                    Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
                    ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
                    Dirt Rider 1970-1980
                    Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
                    Couch Potato 2000-Present
                    1980 XS1100 Standard
                    1979 XS650 Special
                    2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

I run two different shields on my 78 for different seasons. this time of year I run the 'street shield'

In the early spring and late fall I use the plexifairing for the better protection, but it protects too well for hot weather

The street shield lets the air conditioner start working at about 30 mph, the bigger one disables the AC altogether.
                      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Have any of you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?
                        I read it when it was first published but got totally swamped by the second half of the book. I read it again about 6 months ago and.....got totally swamped by the second half again! I found the first half excellent but then felt it just went off into the ether too much for me. It was a huge success at the time and I felt stupid not to enjoy the second half. Thirty years later, I felt stupid again! Oh dear...

Comment

I read it when it was first published but got totally swamped by the second half of the book. I read it again about 6 months ago and.....got totally swamped by the second half again! I found the first half excellent but then felt it just went off into the ether too much for me. It was a huge success at the time and I felt stupid not to enjoy the second half. Thirty years later, I felt stupid again! Oh dear...
                          Hi James,
                          I have a dog eared copy and just had my third attempt. 30+ years after my first attempt: I got nearly half way this time before I gave up. Thanks for making me feel better
                          I guess it is not for everyone
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Have any of you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?
                            I have, and I made it all the way though... Hint: it's not really about zen or motorcycles... it is a tough read...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                            X