Need Your Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Your Advise

Just purchased a 1980 Musem quality XS1100 standard. Looking to outfit it with the following options and would like to ask the membership what they feel would be the best bang for the buck in quality and performence. Please include brand and model number.
    1. Windshield
    2. Soft bags and soft trunk system
    3. Rear shocks (I'm overweight due to heart medications)
    4. Front end suspension improvements
    5. What upgrades, modifications do feel are mandatory to enhance performance and reliability?

I have already read most of the postings and testimonials on these subjects but would like to get some real world suggestions.

Spoke to TCAT at length on phone and he gave me TREMENDOUS help with ideas, suggestions, and a great feeling about the XS11 community. Thanks TC!!

Looking forward to some good ideas!!

Larry
    Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
    ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
    Dirt Rider 1970-1980
    Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
    Couch Potato 2000-Present
    1980 XS1100 Standard
    1979 XS650 Special
    2000 BMW R1150GS

Since it's 'museum quality', I'd leave it totally unmolested! Or only do things which you can reverse easily without irrevocable changes to the bike.

I think museum quality bikes are getting pretty rare now? It seems a shame to start doing things to it IMO. Could you buy another one, of less museum standard', to do things to and keep the other beauty for occasional use and gloating over?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Welcome, and pics are good!
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Pictures Please

Would really like to see pictures of your's have done quite a bit to resore mine as it was sitting dissasembled in less than dry location for many years. Mine is for the most part original except I went from the Silver to this Blue. There are some things I still need like replacment pin stripping. And new emblems for side covers. For getting new parts I do suggest Mikes in the links. As for many parts like original looking shocks he has decent prices. I suggest Windjammer for the windshield and gasket mounting assembly. Attached are some pictures of my 1980 XS1100 G Silverbird. attached.[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\My Documents\amotorcycle\PIC_0681[/IMG][IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\My Documents\amotorcycle\PIC_0678[/IMG]
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

it doesnt sound like what he wants

will hurt the bike - heck he is planning on riding it so there goes the museum right out the window.

Larry welcome.

1. Windshield - I like the Plexistar3 from national cycle. Has alot of fairing protection without the weight.

2. Soft bags and soft trunk system - cant help - i have a Cortech tank bag - but that is really well made so maybe their stuff - and I saw yesterday a set of soft bags on ebay from them

3. Rear shocks (I'm overweight due to heart medications) - I am overweight due to not enough exercise and too much beer. I use Progressive shocks 2 rated 230/275 and ride 2-up with SWMBO just fine. They are 18-418 series:
          04-1455B/C 230/275 4.11/4.91 8.13 207 1.94 49 11.50”, 12,00” (I never adjust them and the handling is much improved for me)

4. Front end suspension improvements - the tKat fork brace from www.tkat.com

5. What upgrades, modifications do feel are mandatory to enhance performance and reliability?
          1.fork brace.
          2.TC's fuse block
          3. geezer's rectifier
          4.Performance of a well tuned xs11 is good enough.
          5. go thru every single electrical connection and clean contacts and use dielectric grease
          6. synthetic gear oil in middle and final drives.
          7.download the manual from catatonic bug's website in his signature.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Pics

Cut and paste this link in your browser and scroll down. Forget the price, we came to an agreement !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...ffviQ3d1#v4-36

**Editted link, the above is the correct one for seeing the eBay listing, but I'll try to direct link the photos in here as well.** T.C.

Okay that worked, so here's the rest:

As Larry stated earlier, "we" had a nice conversation. As you all can now see, the bike is in Museum quality conditon, but not Museum OEM condition, has has some changes made to it....ie, the 4-1 pipes, and the rear shocks are not OEM...might even be Progressive, not sure??

Larry has lots of wrenching experience and skill, but didn't want to have to do too much REPAIR type work, but does want to have a bike that will be reliable, and as we all know, the FUN factor will be there for sure....he's used to BMW/Boxer machines...but early 70's era, so I think he's in for a pleasant performance SURPRISE when he gets on the XS11 and gets to where he can crack the throttle !

T.C.
            Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
            ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
            Dirt Rider 1970-1980
            Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
            Couch Potato 2000-Present
            1980 XS1100 Standard
            1979 XS650 Special
            2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

Ps.

He will also have the OEM Airbox and OEM Pipes, and I've discussed those performance aspects vs. the 4-1's and Indy Pod filters it currently has.

It also has a FULL FAIRING, but he doesn't like that much weight/bulk on the front, hence his desire for a handlebar mounted windshield instead.

Also, he lives in the mountains area, lots of fun twisty road to enjoy, and for a modest turnkey experience, don't think the 750 FD mod would be indicated here.

I think he would also like to hear from folks with SEAT mods...he wants to be able to flat foot it as well as have a LDR quality seat/cushion.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by steelraider View Post
                Just purchased a 1980 Musem quality XS1100 standard. Looking to outfit it with the following options and would like to ask the membership what they feel would be the best bang for the buck in quality and performence. Please include brand and model number.
                1. Windshield
                2. Soft bags and soft trunk system
                3. Rear shocks (I'm overweight due to heart medications)
                4. Front end suspension improvements

I have already read most of the postings and testimonials on these subjects but would like to get some real world suggestions.
                Larry
                Well, first I'll assume you don't want to do any major, non-reversable mods. Second, this bike has been out of production for 30 years so most new accessories you'll find will be 'universal fit' (which in my mind usually means they don't fit anything exactly right), so unless you're willing to look in the used market for custom-fit, expect some work getting a good fit. So with that in mind, here's my .02 worth...

Windshields. National Cycle and Memphis shades are the two major manufacturers. National Cycle will be the cheaper of the two, and neither offer anything other than universal fit models for this bike. Styling and fit vary between models/brands and you won't find anything that really 'fits' the square headlight standard. The Plexifairing models from National Cycle are popular but a bit large for my tastes. A windshield does have to be 'fitted' to you and the bike to minimize buffeting, so that will have some effect on your choices. Personally, I've never found a 'universal' 'shield that fit well out of the box, I've always ended up modifying the mounting brackets.

You'll have the same problem with soft bags. Plus the added issue that where they come in contact with the bike, they'll wear the finish. In less time than you may think, you'll have bare spots on the paint/chrome. You can find brackets for newer bikes to prevent this, but for a XS you'll have to build them.

You might look into getting a 'vintage' fairing/bag tour pack. There's lots of fairings out there, and a 'wanted' posting will turn up a set of bags. These will have the advantage of actually fitting the bike, but will no doubt be 'cosmetically challenged' to some degree. You can get restoration parts for later Vetter fairings (new plexi, edge trim, etc) for not a ton of money, so the big expense here would be a re-paint to match. The early factory-designed Pacifico (arguably the better fairing) will be much harder to restore.

Suspension? Again, not a lot of choices. For rear shocks, you'll be looking in the used market primarily. For a bolt-on, XJ shocks will be your best choice but you may have problems finding a set that won't need rebuilding. 'Other brand' shocks will need some 'adapting' to fit right. Progressive suspension does offer new rear shocks as well as new fork springs 'off the shelf', about $350 for both. There's also 'cartridge emulators' for the front forks to improve damping, but they're a PITA to tune and only really needed IMO if you're a fairly aggressive rider. A fork brace isn't a bad idea, as the 37mm forks on these are rather flimsy, but again, this will depend on how you ride. Most like the TKat brace, but I'll be a contrarian and recommend the Telefix as I think it's a more rigid design. It's bit more money but worth it IMHO.

The only 'mandatory' mod I can think of would be a V-max/Venture or Vision 'automatic' cam chain tensioner. The stock tensioner is a known trouble point.

There's other options in suspension parts, but they'll generally require a bit more work.

Welcome!
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by steelraider View Post
                  - - - Rear shocks (I'm overweight due to heart medications) - - - Larry
                  Hi Larry,
                  being an overweight heart attack survivor myself, I can tell you this without insult.
                  One of the best palliatives for a heart condition is to lose weight. Change your meds/doctor/eating habits.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have the Slip Streamer S-05 TURBO windshield. I really like it. Easy to mount and it is not permanent so you can remove it and not have any mounting holes left on your ride.

Here is a pic of it on my ride.

Ozz
                    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                    Pod Filters
                    DynoJet Kit
                    T.C.'s Fuse Block
                    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

rear shocks and suspension

Are you planning to get a lot of use from this bike? If so, you can upgrade it. I just went through this on mine and I spent money I didn't need to.

Here's what I'd do if I had it to do over again:

Contact Traxxion Dynamics on the telephone. (Their website is not helpful for our purpose.) You send them your forks. They install cartridge emulators and replace the front springs. (They drill the damper rods and tune the suspension to your needs.) You get greatly improved front suspension with your satisfaction guaranteed.

Traxxion can provide you with good quality rear shocks at reasonable cost. They will be of correct rate for you and your bike.

You're probably looking at $500-$600 for the whole package. What you end up with is a tremendously improved motorcycle and it looks perfectly stock. I added a TKAT brace as well. $100.

Here's what I did:

I bought cartridge emulators from RaceTech for $170. Traxxion price is $150. For $170, I get to install and tune them myself. I bought custom wound springs from Traxxion @ $150. I chose to install them. I bought Progressive Suspension rear shocks with Heavy Duty springs @ $300. The springs weren't heavy enough, so I bought another set @ $125 more. I bought a tool to swap the springs @ $35. I bought a TKAT fork brace @ $90. While I am ecstatic about the improvements, I'm still tweaking the front end. As Steve pointed out, it's not a simple five minute procedure.

Also, I'm not crazy about progressive springs. To me, it seems the are either too hard, or you suffer too much sag. I opt for hard because of how I use the bike. Traxxion could have provided me with something I'd be happier with, at less money. Some folks like progressive springs, and that's fine. They're just not for me.

I attempted to make "no compromise" suspension improvements to my bike, and I think I'm pretty close. I realize that what I have done is WAY out of line for many in this group. I like the bike and felt it a worthwhile effort.

That's my 2 cents and I hope it helps.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Personally, I would put the bike back to standard.... 4 into 2 pipes, standard airbox and filter, get rid of the rack and sissy bar. That bike is too nice and in too good condition to start hacking it about, drilling bits for panniers/screens...whatever. It's lasted what?, 30 years? so far in almost pristine condition apart from the usual air filter thing and 4 into 1.

I don't like museums and think a bike should be ridden. However, eBay is littered with poor ole' XS1100's that people have 'customised' (aka ruined, usually) or 'modified' (aka now they burn funny or pop in the exhausts etc or don't start in the cold etc) or... worse.... 'chopped' badly. They end up as spares bikes and lose most of their financial value when compared to a standard machine and it's one fewer example of these bikes. I've broken two of them this year so far.... all altered beyond hope.

Looking at your bike, I would spend a relatively small amount of money and put it back to standard in appearance. Geezer's rectifier regulators are good. Dyna coils are good. Progressive front springs and a fork brace are good. Iridium plugs are good. XS750 final drive is good (ha ha..) Check the pickup coil wires. You did ask! I know people will disagree. I think that model of XS1100 is really nice.... it seems a shame to change it too much.
                        Last edited by James England; 07-24-2011, 10:44 AM.
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

windshield

I have a Slipstreamer S-02 Spirit on mine. I do not recommend it. It is a challenge to install properly. The stanchions on the bars have broken off more times than I can count. I get sick of having to stop and fix the windshield. My bike is a Special with stock bars. Maybe that makes a difference.

It does work very well with a square headlight. At 45-55 MPH, I don't get wet above the knees. If you smoke, you can smoke behind this one. It is very good for touring if you can get it mounted to stay. It's good enough that I have been living with it for several years.

Bottom line: I won't buy another one.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Spring City

Steelraider,

Sept 30 - Oct 3 is the XSive Rider's Rally in Robbinsville, NC. We'll be at The Iron Horse. You're too close to not make a showing. I'll let you try my bike. It has 140/200 rate springs on it. If you weigh under 600 lbs, they'll hold you up. I got them for two-up and loaded. I tour on the bike often.

Show up and you can see what others have done to their bikes and collect some "real world" opinions.

Marty (in Tampa)
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Have a look at this. It's rare to see one of these in the UK as it's a US import. This one is completely standard.....airbox, exhaust. Your rear shocks look to be OEM like the ones on this bike. It didn't sell, which I found surprising..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-YAMAH...item231243d778

Comment

Working...
                              X