No announcement yet.

Pictures and videos of my fuel injected 1978 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me for asking stupid questions, but I know almost nothing about fuel injection - the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is just what you hook the throttle cable up to on the throttle body and tells the computer where the throttle is, right? It was somewhat difficult to tell, but I think I saw the cable connector for the TPS on the right outside of the throttle body?

Did you just keep the injectors from the GSXR600 or did you put different ones on? If they are different, are they 15 pound injectors or did you go with 12?

Are you running in open loop or did you install an O2 sensor?

I want to get this project under way on my bike early next year when I have money I can spend on it - reading about the whole system has me wondering where you might be able to put the computer and fuel pump. Will the old airbox fit? If not, perhaps a custom built box could also house the computer and pump?
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I'm using the stock gsxr 600 injectors, whatever those are. I have put a certain value in for their size, based on experimentation, and I think that value is around 15 lbs/hr. I haven't had the bike running in a month or so and I've forgotten.

The TPS, Throttle Position Sensor, is on the oposite side of the throttle bodies that the throttle cable is on. It's a little rheostat type thing that changes resistance as it's turned. the computer reads that resistance and computers the throttle angle.

I'm planning on using a stock airbox - I believe it will fit. I'm thinking of stuffing the airbox with the fuel pump, but I'm still not sure about that. These are some of the details that I have to work out.

I will be running with an O2 sensor, I just have to buy one. I've already drilled a hole in the header collector, and I've got the weld in O2 bung, just haven't done it yet. The system doesn't require an 02 sensor, it's just recommended. The computer is small - it may fit on top of the cdi box under the tail, or maybe where the toolkit is now. I haven't finalized that piece yet either. The project is relatively cheap, depending on how much you spend on the throttle bodies and so on. I sure not gonna miss pulling carbs everytime I need to make an adjustment :-)

Dan
      Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

I've come up with a couple more questions, if you don't mind

Is the GSXR600 throttle assembly 7/8" like the stock yamaha one or will the GSXR600 cable fit the XS11 throttle assembly? Also, you said the GSXR600 throttle cable is too short, do you know by how much - would an extra 6 inches do the trick? Motion-pro makes regular length cables, but they also make extended length. I would be more than happy to ask them if they carry this longer length of cable and post the part # if it would help.

Comment

Yeah, the throttle assembly is 7/8's, I'm going to use the GSXR assembly on the yahmi, I've already gotten the start/stop controls wired in. My controls are old and weathered, so I'm going to replace the turnsignal/high beam controls too in the future.

I don't think 6 inches will be enough extra, I'm thinking more like a foot or so.

I'll put up some pictures of the modified cable as soon as I make it, hopefull soon.

Dan
          Home of ENIAC

Comment

I can't get that link for the megasquirt to open. I keep getting a "not found" error.
            BTW, do you need a whole bench full of electronic gear to do this? I'm afraid that would leave me out.......

John
            82 XJ1100J
            "eXJunk"
            Logansport, IN

Comment

Can you copy the link and post it here? What web browser are you using?

You don't need a whole bench full of electronic equipment to do this. I ended up getting a scope but I didn't have to have it.

You need a decent meter, hand tools, and a soldering iron.

Dan
              Home of ENIAC

Comment

Link for Megasquirt?

The link I clicked on was on the main page of your site. Do you have a working link for the Megasquirt ecm site?

John
                82 XJ1100J
                "eXJunk"
                Logansport, IN

Comment

You want to look here: http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/MS%20FAQ.htm

and here: http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

both of these pages will be a huge help.

Dan

PS - I don't have the same problem with the link that you do. Is anyone else having these problems as well?
                  Home of ENIAC

Comment

Megasquirt's site

Comment

I've gotten a reply back from Motion Pro:
                      It is possible to custom order extended cables for your XS1100.
                      What throttle assembly are you using? GSXR or XS11?
                      Price for throttle cables are $30.00 each plus shipping charges.
                      Payment is credit card or money order only.
                      No refunds after cables are built.
                      Production time is 4-6 working days plus delivery time.
                      When ordering, please ask for 04-0225 and 04-0226 plus 250mm.
                      I've shot back a reply asking what the minimum increment for extending is - I'll post the answer here when I get it.

$30 is a bit on the expensive side to me, but it is a very elegant solution.

Comment

Repy received:
                        We will build as per your request.
                        Please remember the length will based on the OEM GSXR cables.
                        These guys are pretty quick to answer

Comment

are you saying they will custom build the cables???

sweet!!!

that's awesome!

I'll be going that route then - much eaiser than splicing 2 cables together :-)

thanks dude!

Dan

PS - what number did you call, and who did you talk to?
                          Home of ENIAC

Comment

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of splicing cables - Here's Motion Pro's contact info:

http://www.motionpro.com/
                            Motion Pro, Inc.
                            867 American St.
                            San Carlos, CA 94070
                            Phone: 650-594-9600
                            Fax: 650-594-9610

I emailed with Larry Snyder
                            Larry@MotionPro.com

Let us all know what extra length you end up ordering and how it works out.

Comment

I spent several hours reading thru the mega squirt web site a few months back... the only thing that is stopping me from putting FI on every thing i own is the $$ to get the parts. I work with electronics anyways, so if i had a problem my boss could help. To me, it seems theses guys did their home work for the system. I have emailed them before and they do credit all the end user for more help with the systems. For the money, i dont think this system can be beat.
                              Shawn
                              78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                              78 XS1100E Parts
                              www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

sksxs1100 - you are absolutely right. If you are tired of carbs or just wanna try Fuel Injection, MegaSquirt is the way to go. There are so many people doing it, there is a large base to draw from if you have questions.

The main mailing list for megasquirt has over 33,000 messages in it at this point. That's a huge amount of searchable knowledge!

If you are the type of person who likes to tinker, build models, or work with your hands, you would love megasquirt.

It's a fantastic feeling the first time you fire up the bike and know that you built that .

Plus, when you are at your local cruise night, you're bragging rights pretty much surpass 95% of the other peoples :-)

Sure, people retro fit fuel injection, but how many actually BUILD the computer??

Last but not least is the cost - it's ridiculously low. And if the megasquirt breaks you can fix it with simple electronic components that you can buy off the web...you built it, you know every inch of it, you have the schematics!

The tuning software rocks by the way, and there is now a small hand-held unit called megaview that can interface with megasquirt that will show you what's going on inside the computer without need for a laptop.

I just finally convinced my dad to switch from his holley to megasquirt - early next year he'll have a fuel injected duster!

Happy Thanksgiving for everyone in the US - and for anyone else in the world reading this, have a great day!

Dan

PS - I'm redoing my website, so hopefully I'll have step by step instructions up soon for everyone to see.
                                Home of ENIAC

Comment

Working...
                                X