Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
    Hi Fred,
    I believe the Venturer was the only model to have the cooler fitted as standard. See Motoman comment for reasoning.
    Mine is still original with no leaks to report. Another advantage of a cooler is the extra volume of oil in the system.
    To answer the question Where; it is bolted to the front of the frame high up/ just below the triple tree. The mounting holes are on all standard frames I think.
    Temp to day in Toronto 35 C going to 37 C to morrow
    Phil
    Hi Phil,
    and with nasty TO humidity too, eh? And the Special has those mounting holes too; I use them to hold my sidecar on.
    OTOH, posts from the UK and Australia imply that most if not all of their XS11s come with oil coolers from the factory.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I will throw my .02 in here on the subject. With working with many different size bikes/motors and living in Oklahoma, hot temps are something we deal with all too often. Recently, I purchased an Earl's cooler and am getting ready to install. With my experience with coolers, they will lower oil temps by as much as 20 degrees but most of the time between 10-15 degrees which is significant in my eyes.

I use braided lines and good solid AN connections and never had any leaks and also have one of the spin-on oil filter plates from our very own T.C. Hopefully there won't be any issues with this application and I will be glad to pass on pics once it's installed in the next couple of weeks.

HTH
      Jamie

Comment

"I believe the Venturer was the only model to have the cooler fitted as standard."

How can you tell if you have a Venturer? By serial number? Thanks.
        1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
        1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
        1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Money View Post
          "I believe the Venturer was the only model to have the cooler fitted as standard."

How can you tell if you have a Venturer? By serial number? Thanks.
          81 standards are the veturer. Only one that was.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

all the aussie bikes came stock with oil coolers,
            no idea why, it seems to get just as hot in the us
            as it does here,
            the only other thing i havent seen mentioned is that some
            aftermarket exhausts (mac come to mind) wont fit with a
            stock oil cooler.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Pros and Cons

I'm tired so I will ramble a bit.
              Stock XS1100 with no oil cooler....
              Air flows over the head and through/around the cylinders to dissapate the heat. As long as air is flowing then the engine is cooling properly as designed.
              Adding an oil cooler puts a small radiator in front (and slightly above) the front of the engine. Hot oil is routed through this radiator and air flowing through the cooler dissapates the heat from the oil before the oil returns to the engine.
              This will cool the oil but can this overheat the engine? The oil cooler blocks/restricts some of the airflow past the engine. The air that passes through the cooler is now heated by the hot oil so hotter air is now blowing over the engine.
              Seems to me to be a personal call as to if an oil cooler is a benefit or not. In normal, everyday, real-world transportation it probably makes no dicernable difference.
              That said, my stock E with the touring gear has a cooler on it. My LG with the 1200 big bore kit dosen't have one.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

All the European Xs1100's come with an oil cooler. There's no way that having an oil cooler interferes with engine cooling by disrupting airflow. Quite the reverse. I've never once had a leak from one. IMO, there are no cons whatsoever to having an oil cooler.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  Most oils can withstand temps of up to 230 degrees without breakdown, synthetics can go up to 250 degrees.
                  how the heck do you know what temp your oil is? can i get a guage?

being stuck in downtown toronto traffic when its 98F makes me nervous.
                  maybe i'm better off not knowing how hot my engine is getting

also i'm running 10w40 should I have 20w50 in it for these hot temps?

i do have an oil cooler BTW.
                  1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                  Green Dyna Coils
                  Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                  kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                    how the heck do you know what temp your oil is? can i get a guage?

being stuck in downtown toronto traffic when its 98F makes me nervous.
                    maybe i'm better off not knowing how hot my engine is getting

also i'm running 10w40 should I have 20w50 in it for these hot temps?

i do have an oil cooler BTW.
                    I'd use 20/50 1005 mineral oil. You can buy oil temp gauges but what's the point of them, I ask? You find out how hot your oil is and can't do anything about it other than stop riding. I wouldn't worry about oil temperature personally..
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                      I'd use 20/50 1005 mineral oil. You can buy oil temp gauges but what's the point of them, I ask? You find out how hot your oil is and can't do anything about it other than stop riding. I wouldn't worry about oil temperature personally..
                      Personally I like to know. The more info you have the earlier you can spot and correct problems. As I go I plan on installing an oil temp, oil pressure, and a volt meter. Gotta think of a 4th just to round out the cluster.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

anyone know of a good guage for our bikes?

i found this one

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/MOTO-DETA...perature_Gauge

but our bikes don't have dipsticks for some reason so i'm wondering if is a bad idea to install what is basically a dipstick.
                        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                        Green Dyna Coils
                        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                        kevXS

Comment

...how the heck do you know what temp your oil is? can i get a gauge?
                          On these bikes, fitting a temp gauge is a bit of a PITA. Probably the easiest way to check would be with a 'no touch' thermometer and take a reading off the oil pan; that should get you close.

If you want an actual gauge and the most accurate readings, I'd mount the sensor in the drain plug and put a quick disconnect on the sensor wire. Or you could try and find a XJ oil pan and replace the low oil sensor with the temp one. As an alternative, you could splice a sensor well into the oil feed line to the head. If you do have a oil cooler, you could mount the sensor in the feed line to the cooler.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

...i found this one

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/MOTO-DETA...perature_Gauge

but our bikes don't have dipsticks for some reason so i'm wondering if is a bad idea to install what is basically a dipstick.
                            Those work if the probe is actually down in the oil, but as you've noticed, the XS doesn't have a dipstick. So we're limited to some sort of electric gauge (a mechanical gauge could be used, but I don't think the bourdon tube would survive long on a bike) with a sensor and remote gauge. Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-310012/ although I don't know if this would be weather-proof enough for a bike. You may want to look at marine gauges...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                              You can buy oil temp gauges but what's the point of them, I ask?
                              Hi James,
                              so you can park the bike before the bores seize or the bearings run?
                              They fit oil temperature gauges on aircraft don't they? And they don't put as much as an extra ounce on an aircraft unless they have to.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Motoman's logic is right on the money in the technical sense.

I'll propose, to stir the pot... Similar to the XS engine somehow being designed out of ethereal properties and needing to run at a much higher rpm to function unlike all other motorcycles in the history of production, and different somehow than anything Yamaha had ever done, or done since (thus the FD swap, for example, is lowering the rpm too much and stressing the engine, heaven forbid...), Yamaha made secret changes to the '81 models, that necessitated an oil cooler or doom would ensue. SO, whatever you do, leave that thing hooked up!

Doom, I say, DOOM!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                                X