Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler Pros and cons

Hi all:

I'm looking for some information on the use of an oil cooler on the 11.
    Why were the installed on the Venture model?
    Or general information on possible benefits.

TIA.
    Rick
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

The benefit is that it cools the oil a bit. The down side is that it adds more points of failure and places to leak oil from. Most folks, even in the hottest climates, have reported no need for an oil cooler. If you have one, great. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrod3 View Post
      Hi all:

I'm looking for some information on the use of an oil cooler on the 11.
      Why were the installed on the Venture model?
      Or general information on possible benefits.

TIA.
      Rick
      Hi Rick,
      my XS11SG sidecar rig ran in 105ºF temperatures in Montana and didn't seize up, OTOH, other markets XS11s all have factory oil coolers.
      Pro:- it keeps the oil temperature down.
      Con:- it stops the oil warming up & there's more oil leak paths to check.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

What CBug said....and might add that if motor can be held at a more CONSTANT temperature, whatever that may be, the greater the longgivity of the moving components. Your second question........and that is Ventur(er) not venture. That was the ONLY factory produced touring model of the XS series and apparently Yammy felt the extra load carrying ability of the Venturer warrented ability to keep engine temp. more constant and a bit cooler. Lastly, there is no downside to there use. Mine has wore one for 30+ years from the factory and not even a wet spot or seep......but, that's just been my bike's behavior from new.......
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Gee Fred, if our XS11s seized up riding at 105 then I would only be able to ride about six times a year. 105? What would happen then when it got HOT!

12:40 pm in Austin. It is 97 degrees. Looks like it might get hot today....

I have an oil cooler.

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I'm a proponent of oil coolers. I figure that anything that keeps the oil a bit cooler helps lengthen the life and lubrication properties of the oil and that can't be bad.

If you plumb it right, it won't leak.
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

The oil, besides lubricating moving parts, also acts as a coolant. It helps carry heat away, or in the case of a XS, evenly distributes it, reducing 'hot spots'. Do you need a oil cooler? Well, that depends. Best way to know is to check your oil temp. Most oils can withstand temps of up to 230 degrees without breakdown, synthetics can go up to 250 degrees. So if you're seeing temps up that high or higher, a cooler will help extend oil life.

But you also don't want the oil too cool; it's best to get the oil temp above at least 160 degrees, as that aids in it's 'flowability' as well as helping ensure that you boil any condensation out of it. The 'better' oil coolers have a thermostatic valve that only allow flow though the cooler when oil temp gets high enough to warrant cooling. High loads, high ambient temps, or prolonged stop-and-go traffic may be the only time the cooler is used.

If your 'normal' oil temps are in the 180-220 range, a cooler really won't offer much benefit...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I haven't checked the operating temperature of my motor, Steve, but whatever the temp I dispute your statement that my oil cooler offers no benefit.

It gives me peace of mind. How much is that worth?

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                  ...I dispute your statement that my oil cooler offers no benefit.
                  Uhh, I didn't say 'no' benefit, I said 'not much'....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

IMHO these are AIR cooled engines and the more you can cool them the better.

Necessary? Probably not. Good idea? Definitly

I have one on the okieSPECIAL and haven't had any problem with it other than one of the hoses developed a slight seep and I had to replace it.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'll fully agree that keeping temps controlled on a air-cooled motor is a good thing. But too much cooling can be as bad as too little; any motor has a 'sweet spot' where it runs it's best and being either above or below that will hurt it's performance and longevity to some degree.

It does depend on the ambient temps and humidity you ride in as to whether or not a cooler is a good idea. If you live somewhere where you see high temps (like Texas or Oklahoma), then a cooler will probably work for you. Here in the Puget sound, temps above 90 are rare, and a no-thermostat oil cooler can result in condensation in your oil in the spring/fall and sometimes the summer (like this one..). Checking your oil and finding foamy white crap is not a good thing. Guys I know that have fitted thermostatically-controlled coolers found out they rarely did anything in local riding, usually only actually cooling on extended high-speed runs, so that's why I advocate checking oil temps before fitting a cooler. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal...

Rickrod lives in New Jersey, so he may be kind of 'in between' on temps, I can't say as I don't live there. As they say, YMMV...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

A place where temps rarely exceed 90? Can such a Utopia exist? You must be talking about nighttime temperatures. I can't tell if the beads rolling down my face are tears of hope that nirvana may be had or just more sweat.

I left a steak sitting on the hood of my truck about 9 minutes ago. Should be well done by now....

I'm thinking of installing a second oil cooler, this time with little 12 volt fans for stop and go traffic.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

A place where temps rarely exceed 90? Can such a Utopia exist? You must be talking about nighttime temperatures. I can't tell if the beads rolling down my face are tears of hope that nirvana may be had or just more sweat.

I left a steak sitting on the hood of my truck about 9 minutes ago. Should be well done by now....

I'm thinking of installing a second oil cooler, this time with little 12 volt fans for stop and go traffic.

Patrick
                          Yeah, it would be nice if we could exchange some of our respective weather...

Right now it's low 60s, overcast, and intermittant drizzle... so far, this summer sucks...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Gee Fred, if our XS11s seized up riding at 105 then I would only be able to ride about six times a year. 105? What would happen then when it got HOT!
                            12:40 pm in Austin. It is 97 degrees. Looks like it might get hot today....
                            I have an oil cooler.
                            Patrick
                            Hi Patrick,
                            my XS11 spends a third of each year huddled under a snow-covered tarp so it plain ol' ain't used to hot weather.
                            Neither am I.
                            Gotta tell you, as great as our Montana trip was, it was only the thought of checking into an air-conditioned hotel mid-afternoon and then into their swimming pool that kept my wife and I from mutual murder.
                            BTW, can anyone tell me which XS11s came with oil coolers, which didn't and why?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Fred,
                              I believe the Venturer was the only model to have the cooler fitted as standard. See Motoman comment for reasoning.
                              Mine is still original with no leaks to report. Another advantage of a cooler is the extra volume of oil in the system.
                              To answer the question Where; it is bolted to the front of the frame high up/ just below the triple tree. The mounting holes are on all standard frames I think.
                              Temp to day in Toronto 35 C going to 37 C to morrow
                              Phil
                              Last edited by MaximPhil; 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM.
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X