Dremel fix, any new tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DELL82 View Post
    Do you have the OD, ID and thickness of the washer. I need to do the fix also but wanted to get the Half washer before I started.
    Dell, from an earlier thread and from measuring one of the washers I have here in my hand it looks like the correct washer is a Stainless Steel 1mm W x 30mm ID x 42mm OD.

I don't remember how much material had to be removed from the 2nd gear wheel hub. I brought the entire gear stack with me to the machine shop and the machinist removed material until I could fit the new washer onto the stack with the stock Yamaha washer swapped behind 2nd gear wheel and the new washer between the 2nd gear wheel and its retaining lock ring without binding.

It is a little annoying to keep removing and installing the gear, washer and lock ring so bring a stout set of lock ring pliers. Be patient and do not bend or distort the hardened lock ring.

The 2nd gear wheel assembly can't be too tight because it will expand when it gets hot. Even though the transmission is pressure-fed oil from the oil pump the 2nd gear wheel, washers and lock ring will start to overheat and make it difficult to shift. They will eventually score/seize and that's really not good for you, the transmission, or the engine oil.

Here's an old(er) thread from 2007. The 1st gear mod was a FAIL for me but the extra washer for the 2nd gear wheel washer swap mod is the same size and it's available in a 10-pack from McMaster Carr if you can't find one locally.

Help Poor Trbig!!:: Why work so hard?
    Hey Tod,

Why work so hard, look what I found just searching on McMasterCarr's site:

Yamaha Washer Specs:
    washer 30.2mm ID, 43mmOD, 2.0mm thick

McMaster Carr # 98055A325 DIN black steel pack of 10 for $6.17

1mm thick, ID 30mm, OD 42mm Pretty darn close to me!

Or Stainless Steel 98089408 $7.36 PK 10

So...you gonna be the new distributor for these?!
    T.C.
    Last edited by 3Phase; 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
    X