Dremel fix, any new tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel fix, any new tips?

As I start this project with a bit of concern that I might screw this up I am counting on the great write up I found in these "pages". I am hoping that it goes well and I don't screw up the gears and make it worse, can't really afford to buy new gears either. So with this being said I am open to any and all advice. Just for further clarification I have already removed the gears from the donor and will not open up the trans on the rider til I have gears ready to drop in even though I would have loved to practiced on the set that is being replaced. So after work on Friday the clean up begins. Wish me luck and a steady hand.
    Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

The only added advice I can give is that I like to use playdough or soemthing similar as a plastigage to check that my dogs and slots on each set fo gears are all making even contact. Also, make sure you take about ALL of the roundness out of the end of the gear.

Otherwise, the tech tip is about as good as it gets.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

One important ingredient I noticed when I did mine.....don't rush.

Take your time and remove just alittle material but, the same amount, from each of the dogs at one time then try a fit. Concentrate on getting the angle right and the same on both the dogs and slots in the gears. Remove only as much material as you have to remove.

Its not hard to do but when done right you will notice the difference.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

One tip - Use a die grinder if you have one. A dremel works, but takes 4 times as long. Also, you don't need to flip the bike if you don't want to. The centerstand works just fine. The hardest part is getting the countershaft back IN the bike, so be patient, and wiggle things around until it goes in.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks

The above tips are excellent advice, I like the plasti-gauge idea that should eliminate some of the guess work and I will not rush, I will not rush, I will not rush. I must repeat this over and over as it is supposed to be in the 90's this coming week and I want to ride oh so much. Thanks everyone. Here I go.
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

No, you don't HAVE TO flip the bike but it's a lot easier to flip the bike than it is to wallow around in the oil the inevitably gets spilled and not be able to see what your doing very well laying on you back.

BTW.....gravity works. If you drop something it WILL hit you in the face.

Also, I don't know if it says it in the tech tip because I've never read it all the way through. Don't mix up the shift forks or you will have problems. They are marked 1, 2, &3.
            Last edited by BA80; 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I use marking pen to paint the dogs/slots and then bang the gears against each other in every position while on the shaft. Dremel the shiny spots, repeat.

Comment

Grinding

I found a better way to grind the slots and dogs on the gears. Put the grinding stone in a small drill press and set it for the fastest speed and then you can angle the table so the angle on all the gears and dogs are the same. This allows for a better handling of the gears and makes a much neater job. Keeping a dremel from jumping around while grinding is difficult, but holding the gear on a slanted table is easier and makes it easier to hold the gear steady for a smoother finished part.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                  ... you can angle the table so the angle on all the gears and dogs are the same.
                  Hmm... I can see a drill press in my future. What angle did you use when you ground the dogs and slots?

That's what I wanted to have done while I had the transmission out of Columbo but the local machine shop misunderestimated an almost unbelievable amount of cash for that simple job; more than a new set of gears from Yamaha that already have the fix. I settled for just getting the hub on 2nd gear milled down so I could do the washer swap and add a half-thickness washer next to the c-clip.

It's still working fine with the stock dogs and slots, no skipping, but it would have been nice to have everything done at the shop while I was there.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

That is certainly a great idea and one I had as well, but alas I have no drill press.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                      I found a better way to grind the slots and dogs on the gears. Put the grinding stone in a small drill press and set it for the fastest speed and then you can angle the table so the angle on all the gears and dogs are the same. This allows for a better handling of the gears and makes a much neater job. Keeping a dremel from jumping around while grinding is difficult, but holding the gear on a slanted table is easier and makes it easier to hold the gear steady for a smoother finished part.
                      I suppose you wouldn't have taken any pictures of the drill press set up?

Comment

XJ 750 gears

Darn it, I suppose that the gears from an 82 XJ 750 would not fit

Comment

I put new gears in mine. The undercut is too subtle to see without close scrutiny.

I would advise caution and patience. I expect it's important that the dogs and slots all engage together. I managed to break off a dog in my XS650.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Broken dremel

It all came about because my dremel was broken. I had done 3 trannies with it. I bought a set of diamond bits from Harbor Freight that work just wonderful and don't seem to wear at all. The drill press is also from HF for $39as I recall. Sliding the gear around on the table is much more precise than holding it and trying to grind with a dremel. I don't think the angle is important within reason, because with this method they are always the same all around the gears and it's much easier to measure the parts to be sure they all are the same amount of cut or thickness after the job is done.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              I settled for just getting the hub on 2nd gear milled down so I could do the washer swap and add a half-thickness washer next to the c-clip.
                              Do you have the OD, ID and thickness of the washer. I need to do the fix also but wanted to get the Half washer before I started. I also would like to have the angle as I will machine the gears on a mill with a super spacer, THANKS Driver RAY for the test gears.
                              Dell82
                              Houston, TX
                              82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                              SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                              SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                              SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X