Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options for lowering my 81 xs1100sh...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for lowering my 81 xs1100sh...???

I find the seat height a little high on my ...sh. What options are there to make it lower ? Also my stock seat is really hard and uncomfortable . Besides replacing it what are some cheaper options ??

The guy I got my SF from included some 85 virago rear shocks. They are a inch shorter. He also said he lowered the forks in the triple but the kickstand made the bike stand straight up. I haven't put the shocks on yet
    Keep the shiny side up
    1979 XS1100SF
    Mac 4-1
    Drilled airbox Uni filter
    Vmax bars
    Virago 1" shorter shocks
    30K miles
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
    1981XS1100SH
    '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
    '80 G tank
    Mac Turnouts
    Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
    SH Headlight
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
    61 Wife
    83 Son
    86 Son
    89 Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by HarJim81 View Post
      I find the seat height a little high on my ...sh. What options are there to make it lower ? Also my stock seat is really hard and uncomfortable . Besides replacing it what are some cheaper options ??
      Hi Harry,
      you can remove the stock foam and replace it with a thinner pad of better material.
      If you e-search "seat foam" you should be able to find the comfortable modern stuff.
      The existing cover should still work with thinner foam.
      I don't see you lowering the seat by more than an inch that way though.
      You can also lower the bike. Let the fork tubes up through the triple trees and fit shorter rear shocks.
      Be aware the exhaust will ground real easy on corners and both stands will need to be modified.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bigger boots
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

I am going to do what I did to my XJ750 Midnight Maxim....cut the seat foam lower and use high density foam...it's like the memory foam for your arse. ha ha. Also one of the best covers for a seat is to use black ostrich leather..it's tough and very maintenance free. Looks great and gets a lot of complements. My wife had it done for me when I was deployed, cost right around $100 bucks for them to do everything.
          DirtyNasty

79 XS1100SF (POW MIA theme)

I pray for clouds, because I know there won't be any HD or fair day riders out!

Comment

I have an aftermarket King & Queen seat that Yamaha offered for the specials. It was a little expensive to get it redun with new foam and leather being a large seat, but it was lowered about 1 1/2 inches. I also put XV1100 virago shocks that also dropped it about 1 inch. I'm 5"6" and I am not flat foot with both feet, but it is low enough to manouver without getting off and pushing it.

Wayne
            80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
            Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone . I thought about changing the shocks but wasn't sure what other model would be compatible . I will check around locally for some quality foam and covering . Thanks again guys . Harry

Comment

Working...
              X