Pilot jet settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot jet settings

What is the stock setting for the pilot jets. Mine are set at 4 full turns out, which seems alot. Thanks.

There is no hard and fast number. Every bike needs a different setting, every carb can even be different!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

jets?

hey, welcome to the site. first we need to know what model/yr u have. second, the pilot jet is not adjustable. r u talking bout the idle mixture screws in the towers? also has anyone put a jet kit in, cause thats the only way u could get 4 turns. my 81 special is 2.5 turns out. older models r 1.5. its a place to start if ur carbs r right.
      Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
      Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.
      78 headlite, handle bars,
      1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
      crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
      78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
      94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Have to be speaking of the mixture screws, and yeah they are called no less than six different things depending what book or who your talking to.

My first SH they were at 3-3.5 turns across the board before I cleaned the carbs and replaced the jets with new. After that, they were about 2 turns out across the board. So how your engine is running, valves adjusted, rings condition, carbon buildup, will effect how much fuel each cylinder wants to run properly. typically, if you need more than 5 turns out, you may want to bump the jets.

I would only start changing jets out after you know the carbs are clean, and the valves adjusted, and you run a compression check to know you have decent numbers.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
          has anyone put a jet kit in, cause thats the only way u could get 4 turns.
          Not sure where you got that information... My LH had all 4 at 4+ turns out before I put the Dynojet kit in. Of course, all 4 are almost always different, if only by 1/64 of a turn. You just have to set it for each carb, on YOUR bike.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

1/64th of a turn? Man you have a lot of patience!!!
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
              1/64th of a turn? Man you have a lot of patience!!!
              No, I have a colortune. With that, you can actually SEE the difference that 1/64th of a turn makes.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I just did the carbs on my unmolested 81Midnight bone stock. Factory set on these ranged from 3.25 to 3.75 or so. Rebuild carbs and tuning and synch I am at 4 to 4.5 to have everything balanced and in tune. I don't have a colortune to check but it's running good now.
                Valves were also adjusted and compression checked at the same time.
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Working...
                X