No announcement yet.

Hot rear disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanx Incubus, that 16" is really wide and looks like 2 collars. ive got a 16" and looks different. now if u had an 81 Special, that would have been great cause thats what i need to see!
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

OK...OK...I hear ya..

SH (81 Special) rear wheel assembly...

The onyl spacer is the one against the wheel itself, built into the dust cover. The axle goes directly against the brake caliper support plate.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Dgxser

so the wide chrome space on the outside right of the torque bar is the axle and the rotor disc is centered in the caliper? i have a smaller space if u look at my older pix and my disc rubbed on the right side of the caliper groove, so i thought i was missin a washer, got one and it moved the caliper bracket over enough to align the disc. seems to work, other than now im working on rear brake issues. fixed the caliper lock up, but now cant get my pedal pressure back! i want to ride aldeady, know what i mean
        Max

Kerker 4/1
        stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Bottom line is something is not right. Sticking a washer where it don't belong does not make it right. Just saying
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

ur absolutely correct. i guess im just trying to correct it to see if it will work since im not really sure whats wrong or missing, but re-engineering a specific design when its function is to align all components is probably not the correct fix. i think my adding a thin washer did not totally fix it. when i manually spin the rear wheel with the caliper and pads off , but the caliper bracket on still thru the axle, its seems more free than when the pads are on. i probably need to back off and stop trying to fix it and have an experienced XS11 dude have a look. unfortunately i dont have that person near. im desperate to ride, and thats pushing me to a fix.
            Max

Kerker 4/1
            stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              You have two choices for a fix; try swapping the rear rotor for the right front (assuming it has the right dish), as you can 'adjust' the forks to allow for rotor dish.
              How do you adjust the forks to fix rotor rub on the front fork? My left rotor is rubbing on the bracket and I'd like to fix it while I change my leaking fork seal.

P.S. Sorry mjpxs11sh I'm not trying to jack your thread.
              1980 XS1100G
              -4:2 exhaust
              -Pods
              -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Get yourself a service manual, the adjustment procedure is in there.
                Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
                  ur absolutely correct. i guess im just trying to correct it to see if it will work since im not really sure whats wrong or missing, but re-engineering a specific design when its function is to align all components is probably not the correct fix. i think my adding a thin washer did not totally fix it. when i manually spin the rear wheel with the caliper and pads off , but the caliper bracket on still thru the axle, its seems more free than when the pads are on. i probably need to back off and stop trying to fix it and have an experienced XS11 dude have a look. unfortunately i dont have that person near. im desperate to ride, and thats pushing me to a fix.
                  Putting a washer in there to correct the alignment is a perfectly acceptable 'fix' if there's no bent parts. As to what the problem is, go back and read my post about the rotor (post #6). I strongly suspect you have one of these oddball rotors, as that appears to be the amount you're off. A 'normal' rotor will measure between .750" and .760" from the wheel mounting surface to the outer friction face. But I've ran into some that measure between .8" and .810" (I've got two on the shelf) but look and fit otherwise identically. This amount can't be 'seen' unless you measure or compare to a 'normal' one. Pull the rotor off, set it on a flat surface, and measure from the surface to the top of the rotor. If you get more than .760" (3/4"), you've got one of these 'extra-deep' ones. If that's the case, the washer fix is fine. If it does measure normal, then the likely problem is a bent caliper bracket...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Crazy Steve

Steve, ur experience and knowledge is substantial. i appreciate all the advice on all posts. uve been a great asset when us rookies need help. im not sure whats wrong with my rear alignment, i think it would be very diff. to bend the caliper bracket and i guess the factory could be the issue, which i never would have even imagined, but i know after installing the thin washer betwwen the hub collar and caliper bracket, it aligned the disc in the bracket groove and my disc isnt overheating, so like u said, it was ok to make that fix. i wish someone like u lived close to me and could have a look. i cant tell u enough how i respect u! THANX AGAIN
                    Max

Kerker 4/1
                    stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
                      How do you adjust the forks to fix rotor rub on the front fork? My left rotor is rubbing on the bracket and I'd like to fix it while I change my leaking fork seal.

P.S. Sorry mjpxs11sh I'm not trying to jack your thread.
                      Before doing what crazy steve says I would suggest doing what ba80/Greg says, get the service manual from catatonic bugs web site (listed in all his posts) and go through the procedure in there. It outlines bouncing the forks with the axle not tight yet as part of the process, and it may well fix the problem. I also don't agree with shimming parts instead of following the factory service manual procedure for adjusting the forks, sorry, I just don't agree with that process, as if Yamaha had felt that was needed, that would be the process rather than what the FSM says to do. I've got a problem with doing anything that mounts the calipers out further from the fork than designed, especially when handling what your running into is covered in the FSM procedure. The only thing I do recommend is to not get carried away, the FSM says to "center" the rotor, and I say if you need to do anything just make sure it's got enough clearance without moving it any further from where it wants to be with the bounce than it HAS to be.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

hey Jr. Steve was posting from my thread. has nothing to do with front forks, the subject was my rear brake disc not aligned in the caliper. great post about the fork issue. ur totally correct! just a fyi!
                        Max

Kerker 4/1
                        stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

hey Jr. Steve was posting from my thread. has nothing to do with front forks, the subject was my rear brake disc not aligned in the caliper. great post about the fork issue. ur totally correct! just a fyi!
                          Right, but new2me was asking about fixing the fronts rubbing by adjusting the forks, which is why I answered where the question was asked. Steve and I disagree on this issue, we both have a strongly held opinion on the issue, and they are on either end of the spectrum, he believes one should NOT adjust the forks on a standard because it's possible to shim the calipers, and I believe you should NOT shim the calipers in place of performing the documented adjustment procedure from the FSM. It's a difference of opinion, and I try to make sure it's stated as such so that those asking can make as informed a decision as possible. BTW, the same adjustment MUST be made on specials as it's not possible to shim their calipers.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

gottcha. now i see Steves post on New2Me, sorry bout that!
                            Max

Kerker 4/1
                            stock carbs and air box.

Other 2 Wheelers

Comment

gottcha. now i see Steves post on New2Me, sorry bout that!
                              Tis ok, can be easy to miss.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                                Before doing what crazy steve says I would suggest doing what ba80/Greg says...
                                Actually, I didn't reply about the front brake issue, just the problem MJP was having with his rear brake. But Cy is correct, we don't agree on the 'fix' if this happens at the front; I prefer to fix the misalignment, not just move it to another part...
                                Last edited by crazy steve; 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM.
                                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                                '82 XJ rebuild project
                                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                                '79F parts...
                                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                                X