Manometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
    What do you guys think about just buying two vacuum gauges and calibrating one to the other, and then using that for a sync tool? I can get vac gauges for $22 each and have plenty of plywood and vac tubing on hand to complete it with. I figure it would be quicker than a single gauge set-up, and cheaper than the one from Carbtune.
    For a little bit more than that you can get a 4 gauge set on ebay, you gotta look a little bit, and you do need to make sure they are calibrated to each other yourself (the primary difference between the expensive set and the cheap set is whether you do it or they do it, oh, and the quality of the hoses), the 4 gauge sets can be gotten as cheap as $40 and as much as $100 and can be found really easily for $60. My $40 set came with junk hoses and I had to spend a little time calibrating them, but they work just fine after that. And the hoses still work, they are just cheap and are probably only good for about 1 more use, then I'll have to spend about $10 on quality hoses to last the rest of my life.

Here the set I got, the price went up and little in the two years since I got mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...#ht_2553wt_903

Still not a bad deal, and they hang on the bars real nice with a bungee cord while you do the sync job.
    Last edited by cywelchjr; 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Actually looking further, this here is the vendor I got mine from. This is a little nicer looking package than I got 2 years ago, so it looks like they might have upped the quality slightly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAUGE...#ht_1811wt_905

I know these guys ship quick, and at least two years ago what they shipped me worked as advertised and still works today.
      Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Spade Fuse Box
      750 FD Mod
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Boy. Whatever you do don't make your own like I did. Clear tubing, yard stick and trany fluid. Lol. Bad valves sucked it right in. I like the four gauges now
        Keep the shiny side up
        1979 XS1100SF
        Mac 4-1
        Drilled airbox Uni filter
        Vmax bars
        Virago 1" shorter shocks
        30K miles
        http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
        1981XS1100SH
        '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
        '80 G tank
        Mac Turnouts
        Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
        SH Headlight
        http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
        61 Wife
        83 Son
        86 Son
        89 Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          Actually looking further, this here is the vendor I got mine from. This is a little nicer looking package than I got 2 years ago, so it looks like they might have upped the quality slightly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAUGE...#ht_1811wt_905

I know these guys ship quick, and at least two years ago what they shipped me worked as advertised and still works today.
          Thanks, Cy! That set is a little more in my price range.
          Richard
          Richard
          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Tool has been ordered! Now I can get my carbs lined out. $60 one time vs. $100 for each shop visit should be well worth it. Especially since I don't plan on getting rid of this bike!
            Richard
            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              I've heard the gauge type needles bounce around and are less accurate than the liquid type. We are building one this weekend - picture to follow!
              When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
                I've heard the gauge type needles bounce around and are less accurate than the liquid type. We are building one this weekend - picture to follow!
                Not to mention that the resolution is usually 1 inch of Mercury or more, depending on the quality of the gauge. With the needles bouncing, which line on the gauge do you call as the reading? I can resolve to less than a quarter inch with the MotionPro Mercury stick.
                You just have to be careful with the Mercury in them.
                CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                  Not to mention that the resolution is usually 1 inch of Mercury or more, depending on the quality of the gauge. With the needles bouncing, which line on the gauge do you call as the reading? I can resolve to less than a quarter inch with the MotionPro Mercury stick.
                  You just have to be careful with the Mercury in them.
                  CZ
                  Frankly it's not that hard. You can see where they are with a properly setup set, and they work out fine. I'd love one of the fancy setups, but can't afford one of them when the gauge set does the job just fine.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Another option, I use this type and they work just fine after calibrating all 4 guages with my mity-vac.
                    Hey Biker Phil,

I just bought one those that you linked to (figured it was time to quit borrowing and buy my OWN!) Anyways I haven't got it yet but should have it Monday. Is it going to require further calibrating upon arrival?
                    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
                      Hey Biker Phil,

I just bought one those that you linked to (figured it was time to quit borrowing and buy my OWN!) Anyways I haven't got it yet but should have it Monday. Is it going to require further calibrating upon arrival?
                      It would be a good idea to check them first before using. If you don't have a mity vac, check the gauges one at a time to one cylinder making sure they are calibrated.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The really poor boy method worked pretty good. We got 20 feet of aquarium hose and made a big loop. Sucked a couple of feet of water and put one end on carb 3 (the one next to the throttle pull). With the other end on any of the other carbs - here's the trick - clamp the loop closed with hemostats and start her up... With the clamp closed nothing happens. Gently release and reclamp the clamp and watch which way the water moves.. If it pulls toward #3 then turn the screw to apply more vacuum the other way. Eventually, adjusting one way or the other they will get closer and in even balance with the clamp off. If it sucks some water in -no worries - refill and keep going. I had trouble getting one carb to balance and it turned out to be a sticky valve - but that's another story. But the point is you can sync these babies pretty close for about 5 bucks in plastic tubing!

Comment

it's a good idea to check the calibration on all carb sticks, gauge, mercury or liquid. I have an old merc stick and spent about 5 hours trying to sync the carbs. I checked the YICS shut off tool, checked for leaks, nothing. but I could not get the carbs to sync.
                          I shut the bike down and sat there looking at it wondering how much I could get by parting it out...
                          I tried one more time and noticed something interesting. when I shut the bike down again in frustration, I noticed the #'s 1, 2 & 4 lines fell to zero immediately, while #3 went to zero slowly. I took all the lines off and "Y'd" them to my brake bleed vac pump. #3 was not the same.
                          There were these little white plugs in the vac lines with a little hole in them to act as a plenum preventing the reading bounce. I took those out and re-drilled each one with the same size hole.
                          #3 came right back to the same level as the rest. took a whole 15 minutes to sync after that.
                          82' XJ1100 turned "bagger" with Vetter Fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonRider View Post
                            I shut the bike down and sat there looking at it wondering how much I could get by parting it out...
                            HA! I did that yesterday!

Comment

$100 will get you one of these. Simple and accurate.....

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2146
                              "He who shall sew, so shall He who"

Comment

Originally posted by bufallobiff View Post
                                $100 will get you one of these. Simple and accurate.....

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2146
                                That price will get you the 4 cylinder Morgan carbtune! Best one of them all.
                                Nathan
                                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                                K&N Filter
                                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                                OEM Exhaust
                                ATK Fork Brace
                                LED Dash lights
                                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                                SS Brake Lines
                                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X