Interesting PO Story and latest pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting PO Story and latest pics

So the other day I noticed a Windjammer fairing off an 80 XS1100 on craigslist in Minnetonka (where I got my bike from). So I figured I would compare numbers with the PO I got my bike from. Sure enough they were the same. So I inquired as to why it didn't come with it. He said it was sold as-is. I said well that kinda sucks considering it should have come with it as-was. He said he had 5 guys inquiring on it. He then had the balls to try to sell me the back rest and luggage rack that were previously on the bike as well. I told him, "look dude. I'm not gonna buy the parts from you that were previously on the bike to begin with and should have come with it in the first place. I could buy a 79 special with all that stuff for $700 right now and you wanna charge me $250 for the accessories." I think he already dooped me on the sale of the bike when he told me he had lots of interest and said a guy offered him 1200 and it was listed for 1000. Pretty sure this guy is a scammer and pulls this with all of his sales. The kicker is that he told me the owner he bought it from (so he could resell it) had a box of stuff that went with the bike. He told me once he got the box, it was a bunch of plumbing stuff that had nothing to do with the bike, and yet, now he has all these accessories to sell for it. WHAT A CHUMBALONE!!! It's guys like that, that piss me off! Not that the prices are fair, but C'mon. If it came with the bike and you got the stuff you said you would give me after, give it to me....don't try to sell it to me. ARGH! Anyways...she is almost back to rare form... Here is the latest pic with the new cover and crash bars.

1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
    1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
    1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

There are some pretty special people out there!

Very nice looking!!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry to hear about the crappy CL experience.

On the other hand your ride looks great.

All you need now is a 30th anniversary patch to go with it. lol.

Ozz
      Last edited by MrOzz; 07-05-2011, 02:48 PM.
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

The world is like the men's bathroom. Pricks everywhere and you're bound to find one that wants to screw you, but as long as you cover your a$$ you should be alright.

The bike looks nice and it seems like you are happy with it (considering you bought it) so all's well that ends well. Did you end up with the extra parts or did you tell him to keep it?
        1980 XS1100G
        -4:2 exhaust
        -Pods
        -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

He wanted me to pay for the stuff he got ie: fairing, back rest and luggage rack. So I told him to get bent! He said there was a crappy petcock as well which i have no need for as mine work just fine. Got the Colortune today and am contemplating setting the mixture right now. Want to get her running pure as she can. Also I think the oil I am using doesn't work for my bike as it seems I get clutch slippage when I crack the throttle at high RPM's. Go figure. I am gonna go with the castrol mineral oil next time as I hear that works well. Mobile 1 seemed to work ok, then I tried a different brand and it's not so hot.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

For clarity when you bought the bike was there any mention that he would get these extra parts for you at no cost or did you not know they existed? Sounds like to me you showed up, saw a bike you liked and bought it as YOU saw it and came to a price you both agreed on. After the sale with you he then pulled them out of the barn and took to Craigslisting them? Is this correct?
            Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
            1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
            1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Lbrown311 View Post
              He wanted me to pay for the stuff he got ie: fairing, back rest and luggage rack. So I told him to get bent! He said there was a crappy petcock as well which i have no need for as mine work just fine. Got the Colortune today and am contemplating setting the mixture right now. Want to get her running pure as she can. Also I think the oil I am using doesn't work for my bike as it seems I get clutch slippage when I crack the throttle at high RPM's. Go figure. I am gonna go with the castrol mineral oil next time as I hear that works well. Mobile 1 seemed to work ok, then I tried a different brand and it's not so hot.
              30 year old clutch springs do get weak...
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Might be the case. Was a little better this evening. Still could be the oil I'm using? I won't know till I change it again. Already done it twice this year. It could also be my poor shifting still. It's gotten a lot better but still needs some work. Figure I will tune tomorrow. It will help the idle and popping at decel, and I'm thinking it might help take off a tiny bit, yet noticeable. We will find out.

For clarity when you bought the bike was there any mention that he would get these extra parts for you at no cost or did you not know they existed? Sounds like to me you showed up, saw a bike you liked and bought it as YOU saw it and came to a price you both agreed on. After the sale with you he then pulled them out of the barn and took to Craigslisting them? Is this correct?
                Yes Jeff he said the PO had some parts for the bike. Whether they were the ones he is selling or not wasn't my point. He told me there were other parts for the bike and then, I believe, decided he could make more selling them rather than give them to the new owner. It IS however assumed, but I think that is what he did. If he DID have them, then it is a little silly that he didn't offer them to me considering I was buying the bike in the first place. Wouldn't that have made more sense. Pretty sure the PO gave them to him after the fact.
                Good question tho...

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Nice looking scoot there.........in the first pic, finding a place to sit with the trash on the seat may be a problem tho........
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have no problem with him "parting" down and making some extra money but if he told you about them he should have at the very least offered them to you first. If he implied he would get them from the previous owner and then pass along to you then that's what he should have done. Sounds like the whole situation was kind of unclear when you bought it and there were some loose ends. Cool bike, got one that looks just like it 2 weeks ago.
                    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Nice looking scoot there.........in the first pic, finding a place to sit with the trash on the seat may be a problem tho........
                      Yeah my wife hates when I take pics there. LOL kinda white trashy I guess, but I figured the bike would take your eyes off the rubble in the background.

Jeff-
                      I would be a lot more angry had I wanted all the crap that was on it. I would have either kept it to sell with the bike "if" I ever did or resold it myself. He clearly didn't have it when he sold me the bike, leading me to believe the previous PO gave it to him after the fact, and now he is reselling. Just erks me a bit is all. I won't lose sleep over it. I like the clean look anyways.
                      I would rather get another bike for a tourer anyways...who knows maybe another XS. There is a 79 special with bags, backrest, and rack for sale. Just no cash right now or I would have boughten it already. Not sure what the best model is for touring or if there is any difference. I have always wanted to know what everyones favorite model is...can't find a thread on it.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Not sure what the best model is for touring or if there is any difference. I have always wanted to know what everyones favorite model is...can't find a thread on it.
                        !981 Venturer 1100 for touring....
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                        X