Killswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killswitch

What do I need to do to bypass the killswitch on a 81?
    Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
    K&N filter
    Spade fuse block
    Barnett Springs

I had my brother post that as I was stranded at Flinstone Park in Custer City, SD. We got caught in hail/rain so we had to stop there. The PO had by passed the kill switch and had a bottle cap covering it. We lost that cap somewhere yesterday. Well his by-pass method got wet and blew a fuse. Finally got it figured out between periods of rain and hail. If that's all the trouble we have in nearly 600 miles of driving the past two days I'll take it. Oh, and I lost my right side cover somewhere between Flinstone village and Rapid City. Other than that no problems! PTL!
    Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
    K&N filter
    Spade fuse block
    Barnett Springs

Comment

Glad you got it figured out!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

When ya get home ya might wanna think about the value of a kill switch. I only needed it once so far, but I was really glad that little switch was right there on my bars waiting for a flick of my thumb.

I just wired a kill switch on a bike yesterday that didn't have one, PO took it off to clean up the bars.

Comment

Never actually been in a position where I needed it but I got one.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If your tipover switch is working properly the kill switch is redundant, since as soon as the bike exceeds 60 Deg without it being in a turn with centripetal force making it think it's still upright it will stop running. Mine works, when it fell over in the driveway, the engine stopped. For those all worried about it kicking in when in a turn, it's based on gravitational motion, which only kicks in if the bike is not moving or falls down. When you go around a corner, the bike thinks that gravity is still straight down in relation to the frame (or very close to it).

PS, my killswitch works too, but I've never used it, and don't expect to, as the tipover switch will kick in before I could think of reaching over to turn it off.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

When it comes to safety, your own personal safety for sure, the redundent department of redudency is not your enemy. So I like having both.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                When it comes to safety, your own personal safety for sure, the redundent department of redudency is not your enemy. So I like having both.
                Notice I did say I had both. And when someone says they are disabling one or the other I lobby against it (for both devices) and lobby for fixing them rather them removing/bypassing them other than temporarily for testing purposes, there are times that both are almost invaluable, as as such I like both. Sometimes I think it would be better if grand prix bikes had tipover switches, we've seen some video recently where I'll bet the riders wish they had one, but what with removing as much weight as possible, I understand why they don't have them. Of course I think they could be much more high tech and reliable these days then they were back when these were built.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

All my Japanese bikes came with killswitches and although I've never removed one, I've never had the need to use one either.
                  Except for once when after a half-hour wondering why the bike wasn't starting I finally noticed that some interfering fool had turned it to OFF when the bike was parked.
                  Last edited by fredintoon; 07-04-2011, 11:33 PM.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I always thought it was "The Department of Redundancy Department."

Is the tipover switch a requirement of the soft-as-a-dumpling 80s? Because my hard-as-nails '79 sure doesn't have a pansy little tipover switch. Chew yer leg off, she will...

JK!

Comment

it would be better if grand prix bikes had tipover switches, we've seen some video recently where I'll bet the riders wish they had one

Way - way back in my racing days, we adjusted our throttles back to a dead mans setting where we had to keep the engine revved to keep running at idle and of course the engine would die at a get off. During a rider change somebody’s hand had to be on the throttle. Later the tether switch came into being. I did not know Grand Prix does not use either.
                      1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
                      Braded stainless brake lines
                      4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
                      V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
                      Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
                      Vetter Windjammer III faring
                      Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
                      James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Years ago, I read that arcing across the ignition switch can cause problems if it is regularly used to tunr off the engine.. It's probably an old wive's tale (?) but since then I've always used my kill switch to turn the engine off, before turning off at the key. That's about 30 years of doing that.... old habits die hard.
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                          I always thought it was "The Department of Redundancy Department."

Is the tipover switch a requirement of the soft-as-a-dumpling 80s? Because my hard-as-nails '79 sure doesn't have a pansy little tipover switch. Chew yer leg off, she will...

JK!
                          There should be one unless someone pulled it off. My '78 has one, should be on the back side of the cross bar right above the igy coils under the tank. Headlight relay is sitting in front of it.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I use my killswitch every single time I stop the bike. That's how I turn off the engine. If you take the MSF course, that's how they teach it. Use the kill switch, THEN turn off the power with the key. Definitely a good idea to use it on a regular basis, so you thumb is familiar with it's position. That way, in an emergency, your thumb does the work without your brain having to step in.

Tipover switch has saved me a couple times too. I'm definitely glad I have that little item on there!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Speaking of the tip over switch, I removed mine while debugging, and the rubber holder kinda destructed removing it from the holder, Can the switch be held in place to the bracket with electrical tape. (no laughing ) Or go for a search for that rubber mount.
                              1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X